WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Baaaaad Weather Coming

Does anyone remember the "derecho" of last June? Looks like another one is heading our way. I live in Northern Virginia and all kinds of weather warnings are coming out. I hope the hikers on the trail can find a way to get off for a day or two. I'm afraid there will be MUCH wind damage
    I've lived too long to care what others think about me

Images

Hopefully the word can get out to Ridgerunners as these types of storms strengthen quickly, giving little warning. Last years Derecho caused significant damage throughout the state of Virginia.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitey Mo View Post
    Does anyone remember the "derecho" of last June? Looks like another one is heading our way. I live in Northern Virginia and all kinds of weather warnings are coming out. I hope the hikers on the trail can find a way to get off for a day or two. I'm afraid there will be MUCH wind damage
    I remember last year.. it's really hard to forget. My hiker friend came off the trail today b/c of this weather forecast so I think the hikers are aware of the storm warnings. I pray no one will be hurt, on the trail, from this storm.

I am watching the noaa weather radar now. Looks like it could be nasty in Pa and Va tomorrow. Lickdale and Port Clinton have storm watch warnings out for tomorrow. Hopefully the hikers who left Duncannon yesterday will make it to Lickdale before the storm hits. Southern Pa. and N Va. are gonna get blasted.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I know a hiker who went home because he was tired of hiking in the rain --- good call! It sure has been a wild year for weather.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Dang, the worst of what's coming looks like it will be on top of the 'bubble' for thrus... I hope everybody hunkers down!

Yep, I remember that last year....the whole thing (weather system) happened in a very short period of time and was not forecast till it was all most over, it caught many people of guard...including the national weather service. Usually wether systems travel at about 600 miles a day, (ie;Ohio to NJ) this coverd that distance in about 10 hours...crazy...stay safe today peoples!

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Dang, the worst of what's coming looks like it will be on top of the 'bubble' for thrus... I hope everybody hunkers down!
    worst place to be in high winds...in the woods with trees fallin all around, pretty freakin scary place to be. I'd head for a hotel and a meal.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    worst place to be in high winds...in the woods with trees fallin all around, pretty freakin scary place to be. I'd head for a hotel and a meal.
    exhilarating!!!!!!!!

Yea, or at the very least get into a stand of small, young trees that will be able to take the winds without losing limbs. I'm usually paranoid about what's above me anyway, but today I'd be suspicious of every tree.

Between the weather and the Noro virus, the class of '13 is having a rough time of it.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Between the weather and the Noro virus, the class of '13 is having a rough time of it.
    weathers definitely the worse of the two.if you get norovirus, its over in a day or so. the weather has been hammering class of 2013 for months.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    Yea, or at the very least get into a stand of small, young trees that will be able to take the winds without losing limbs. I'm usually paranoid about what's above me anyway, but today I'd be suspicious of every tree.
    yeah i don't care to have to look up at every creek or snap of a tree...makes yeah gun shy after a while or you just stop paying attention...even worse!

Quote Originally Posted by Sailing_Faith View Post
    Lots of character building goin on this, it's good to have the dog knocked outta ya every now and again...but these folks are earnin it.....strong stock in the making.

Lots of character building goin on this year, it's good to have the dog knocked outta ya every now and again...but these folks are earnin it.....strong stock in the making.
    this year.......

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    exhilarating!!!!!!!!
    freaking nerve racking

Images

will I get deleted if I talk about global raining?

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    No...It doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    Hilarious. Thanks!

Section Hiker

This storm flew through here (north central ohio) last night. It wasn't nearly as bad as predicted so hopefully it will have weakened even more by the time it hits the trail. It did not become a derecho. We had high winds and thunder for a very short period, with some hail farther north. It is clearing but cool today. Be safe, all.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries
    Images

its been a long time since Day turned to night... worse than a eclipse. Its the end of the world - pour me a beer.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++