WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What do you do with your dog in town?

I'm no thru hiker, but I will be doing a month on the AT in June. What do you do with your dog when you need to go into a store or restaurant?
    If taking a zero I could leave him in the hotel but otherwise how do you deal with this?
    Also how difficult is it to find pet friendly accommodations & shuttles?
    thanks

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

These are excellent questions. I hope that there are answers given by numerous people who have experience in solving these problemous moments without endangering their dogs to theft or other abuse.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Not sure if is will help for you situation, but the easiest way to hike with a dog is to also hike with a partner, this makes all sorts of logistics easier. That way one person can go into a store and shop while the other person watches the backpacks and the dog, or one person can go in to a restaurant and order food to go for both of you. There is also the chance that you might make friend on the trail whom you trust enough to watch your dog while you go into a store quickly.

As for restaurants, most places that have outside seating will let you sit at a table on the edge and have your dog with you, just make sure to ask nicely first.

I would be interested to hear from some solo hikers to see how they handle town stops with a dog.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Not sure if is will help for you situation, but the easiest way to hike with a dog is to also hike with a partner, this makes all sorts of logistics easier. That way one person can go into a store and shop while the other person watches the backpacks and the dog, or one person can go in to a restaurant and order food to go for both of you. There is also the chance that you might make friend on the trail whom you trust enough to watch your dog while you go into a store quickly.

As for restaurants, most places that have outside seating will let you sit at a table on the edge and have your dog with you, just make sure to ask nicely first.

I would be interested to hear from some solo hikers to see how they handle town stops with a dog.
    Yes, yes. Please. Those who have handled this successfully (happily for dog and hiker), please tell us your stories.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Honestly, it sucks! I've done numerous hikes with my Aussie, and usually i get a hotel room first, and then go about my town business. Being what they call a velcro dog, he does not do well with being tied up so I can run into stores, and has this high pitched bark that is his way of saying he wants to be with me. He's well trained, and excellent on the trail, does not chase animals, etc., but in town is another story entirely.

If you can hike with a friend it would help immensely, and usually this is what I do if I bring Sam with. Call around before you hike to find which shuttlers will shuttle your dog, I've found most will, and AWOL's guide mentions pet friendly places as well, but it is always good to call and verify.

Don't expect to get many hitches, or at least for it to be harder...at least it has been for me, especially when it is raining.

I love hiking with my dog, he's a great partner, but this summer I'm leaving him at home, because I don't want to have to worry about the logistics, and that is what it comes down to. If you plan ahead, and do your homework, you and your dog will be much happier.

I love hiking with my dog, but being honest town is much more enjoyable without him. That being said if you are patient than even town can be somewhat enjoyable.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

I'm starting a training program to hike in 2018 (yes, my dog and I both need that much lead time to get ready) and the in-town problem is probably my biggest concern. Can anyone who's thru-hiked with their dog give insight on this? is it culturally ok to tether your dog to a lamp-post (or whatnot) outside the store?

Is there a list of dog-friendly hostels anywhere?

Images

Dirty Paws: If you use the training program in "Climbing: Training For Peak Performance" by Clyde Soles, you can be fit in 3 months. Getting the rest of the gear ect. may take some time, but not necessarily five years....

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Dirty Paws: If you use the training program in "Climbing: Training For Peak Performance" by Clyde Soles, you can be fit in 3 months. Getting the rest of the gear ect. may take some time, but not necessarily five years....
    Much appreciated Q-tip. However, a big part of my 5 year plan is a lack of funds. I'm the primary breadwinner in my house (have housemates who pay rent, etc, but I handle most of it). And I need 5 years to get some of my debts paid down / build up my savings for taking 6 months off of work.

Images

Sorry to be on the negative side. But for your dogs sake I am saying this. Your dog wants to be with you and leaving it behind means it may bark for you. If this happens expect people to kick, hit, and throw rocks at your dog. This include hikers mostly. I speak from experience not guessing on this one. Even at shelters some folks may say I am not sleeping with a dog. Even ahd one old man run 50 feet off the trail to clobber my daughters Aussie over the back with hiking stick.

That being said stay out for 7 days at a time, skip shelters. And yes by all means hike with someone else to watch dog while in town.
    OH day one 90 ticks pulled off dog. Day 2, 30 ticks, 2 weeks later at home still pulling ticks off dog. This is a snow white dog.

Journal Entries
    Images

what no Frontline?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

We hiked 4 months (Ga to NY) with our Weimaraner last year and towns were the most challenging part. He is also a velcro dog and even with the two of us, it was still a challenge. I am NOT complaining about this by any means, just trying to be honest about what it's like. It was completely worth it to us, but it might not be for some. And that's perfectly fine.

When it comes to which businesses are dog-friendly, your best bet is to carry AWOL's guide and call each one on your way into town. I found that sometimes they would be listed as no pets, but were actually pet-friendly (and vice versa). The smaller hostels/hotels sometimes change their policy faster than guidebooks can keep up - just call when you are a few days out. It's good practice too since most places have a limited number of rooms that do allow pets so you want to make sure you reserve one. The other thing we experienced, most hotel owners were really specific about telling us that dogs were not allowed to be left alone in the room. They told us that fines would be assessed and we could be kicked out if we left him alone in the room. Most had us sign an agreement. I wouldn't plan on leaving your dog in the room as an option.

Trail shuttles and hitches were never an issue for us. I had several people tell us they pulled over because they thought our dog was cute or they felt bad seeing a dog standing there in the sun, rain, wind, etc. People have compassion for animals, at least that's what I found. If you arrange a shuttle, make sure they know ahead of time that you have a dog.

Stores and restaurants... this is the challenge. Re-supply for us wasn't bad because we had two people, but we weren't able to eat at any restaurants along the trail (except in Gatlinburg, when he was boarded) because we didn't want to leave him tied up out front (barking was a concern, but also I didn't trust strangers and/or other dogs to not bother him). Again, not complaining, it wasn't that big of a deal and we just got carry-out from restaurants, but if being social is important to you this is something to think about.

Good luck!

I had my dog with me over half of my thru-hike. I have to say the more well behaved your dog is, the easier it is to do what you need to do in town. As for grocery shopping and eating out, my dog became very good. In the beginning I was really worried about tying her outside of shops, a couple of times in the beginning she chewed through her leash and got loose, but I was watching her constantly so everything turned out ok. After a while she got used to being tied out while I did my grocery shopping or grabbed a bite to eat, she got to the point where as long as she could see the door I came in, I could drop her leash, tell her to stay, and leave her with a bowl of water and she wouldn't move until I came back out no matter how long. She isn't a crier/barker. If I was eating at a restaurant I would check on her often to make sure she was ok. Unfortunately at the time i didn't trust her alone in the hotel room (she had some separation anxiety issues in the beginning), so I always had to take her with me. Somebody mentioned ticks, this ultimately was probably the biggest factor in my decision to no longer hike with her- even with treatment she probably picked up at least 50 a day in some areas, half of them ended up dead on my tent floor by morning, and she hated it when I pulled then out. As far as people being negative about dogs and mean to her on the trail? Over 1300 miles with her and I never experienced any of it. I avoided shelters unless they were empty or I was with people I knew who enjoyed the company of my dog. For the most part we were much more comfortable in our tent anyways. So many hikers were very happy to make friends with Kelly, and she made it easier for me to make friends. I wouldn't recommend visiting any major cities with a dog, however. I did have to give up some hostels that seemed really cool and when I did stay it motels it was more expensive. Overall I loved always having the company of my dog, but she definitely became the priority of the hike, but their were many people and experiences I had just because she was with me.

"she definitely became the priority of the hike, but their were many people and experiences I had just because she was with me."

So true in RL too! I love the experiences & people I've met, because of my dog (caveat: I dont let just anyone however, come near my dog. They have to be willing to approach the way I tell them to, or forget it).

I'm so happy when I see people who have actually had experience Thru hiking on the trail post to the forum. You actually have great information, and makes me feel like I'm going to be okay to take my dog. There are way too many posts on here from people who have no experience hiking long distances on the trail and/or don't like dogs in general, and they trash talk taking a dog. I've told myself that I WILL finish the trail, and I'm going to ATTEMPT taking my dog. He's a Blue Heeler, smart as can be, and is extremely well-behaved. Thank you for posting and making me feel better about it than all the other bimbos do.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
    I'm so happy when I see people who have actually had experience Thru hiking on the trail post to the forum. You actually have great information, and makes me feel like I'm going to be okay to take my dog. There are way too many posts on here from people who have no experience hiking long distances on the trail and/or don't like dogs in general, and they trash talk taking a dog. I've told myself that I WILL finish the trail, and I'm going to ATTEMPT taking my dog. He's a Blue Heeler, smart as can be, and is extremely well-behaved. Thank you for posting and making me feel better about it than all the other bimbos do.
    And thank YOU, Towhee, for this expression of frustration. Almost every dog I have met on the trail has been well behaved. Some have even been well behaved and very sweet. The difference between them and the dogs you hate to encounter are the owners/handlers of the dogs. Some equate freedom to run and bark (and frighten other hikers as well as wildlife) with their own freedom to be obnoxious and, in some cases, a bit frightening.
    --Salaun

Images

A hiker here in Manchester, VT went into the movie theater and tied his dog to a tree in the parking area. With the owner away the dog scratched a young girl who went to pet the dog.

The police took the dog into custody and $150 later was released to the owner...a bad day for all.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    A hiker here in Manchester, VT went into the movie theater and tied his dog to a tree in the parking area. With the owner away the dog scratched a young girl who went to pet the dog.

The police took the dog into custody and $150 later was released to the owner...a bad day for all.
    I wouldnt have given it back. Their is a huge difference in leaving your dog to go into the grocery or to grab a quick bite to eat and leaving your dog in the parking lot of a movie theater for a 3 hours movie. Some people are just dumb.

Journal Entries

I'm lucky that I live in a smaller town so there are less people. I make it a point to take my dog out and around the town proper regularly to be around other people and dogs. I also make a point of tying him outside of some of the local shops and going inside. Even if you have no intention of buying anything I would recommend doing that and just watching your dog from inside. Then slowly increase the duration you spend in the stores. I couldn't say what would happen if he met another dog while waiting. That is and will always be my big concern in towns because you can only know your dog, not someone else's. Regardless, by habituating him to the scenerios you expect to encounter will go a long way to alleviate your fears. Every dog is different so test things yourself.

Visit www.justinlichter.com he has hiked over 20,000 miles with his Dog and has advice for dog owners, he also will respond to email, cool guy and humble.

Images

I just completed a SOBO hike with my dog, most of the anti dog attitude is here and not on the trail. However you know you're dog better than anyone so if you think you're dog will be a problem then you're probably right. I did a video on through hiking with a dog that covers everything discussed in here including ticks, town stops, hotels, hostels, pack weight and more. Hope it's helpful to some of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GzAp-jZhog
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++