WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Entitled Hikers

This thread has left the tracks....

I DO think there has been a change, I have seen it in my lifetime. I drove a car I bought, with my own money and fixed up.... Go look in a high school parking lot today. Some of these kids are driving nicer cars then their parents.

Why? I suppose it is not surprising that our society expects government to "take care of them" since so many have come to expect it... Not trying to turn political, so I will stop there.

Entitled hikers? Why not, so much of our society seems to feel "entitled" hiking need not be unique.

What is cool, the part that can not be circumvented is that you have to do it. Even with the griping about the approach some take to the trail... If you are there, you walked there.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Aahhh what the hell... I'm just post ho'ing now...

Giddy up .................

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    me too. i think i'm a lesbian...
    Not a chance!!!

Images

when i first posted on this thread, i thought it was mostly an age thing, that youth today have more entitlement issues than we did.but our fathers said the same thing about us, and their fathers probably did the same.i no longer feel this way.
    i think its more about the evolution of the at itself.it was an awesome experience for me to hike north with the bubble this spring for 6 weeks.i normally dont look to backpacking as a social experience, used to taking solo trips and enjoying that solitude and feeling of self reliance.I can relate to those "old timers" who feel sad to see the way the trail has changed.ive spent a lot of time on the at in the northeast,and met plenty of thruhikers up north, but the attitude of those i met in nh and maine was a bit different among the spring bubble.we know how immensely popular the idea of completing a thru hike has become as each year we see record #s making the attempt. but there comes along with it an expectation, a certain feeling of entitlement for a support system to be in place 100% of the time. now i certainly didnt see this in the majority of hikers, but young or old, there were a few who had trouble dealing with minor inconveniences.of course if you've already hiked as far as nh or maine, you've learned to deal with just about anything thrown at you, so i would expect that some of these kids, young and old, will be broken of their entitlement issues by the time they summit katahdin.(although i have met a few a-holes in the north too.)
    in the end its all good.

Man do I have some input on this topic! I need to wrap my thoughts around this because this very topic encompasses way more than just the LDH community. I want you folks older then 30 to think real hard about this; what were the very things instilled unto you from a very young age? In my world it was responsibility, ethics, morals, trust etc. all of which needed to be displayed on a regular basis in order for me/us to earn privileges and the very things I/we wanted as a child. If I/we didn't meet ALL criteria I/we got squat! Todays society allows parents to forego teaching all the above mentioned because technology is there to teach, mentor and guide for them and that friends is partially where the disconnect is. Instead of parenting we allow technology to parent for us and we are showing our children how to be irresponsible through our inept ability to be responsible. It all starts from the top down, irresponsible government, religious and educating officials all the way down to the parents and their children. Is talking/texting while driving with your child in the car responsible, we feel entitled to do so because we A) have a vehicle, B) we have the phone and C) are not ethically correct! Who all reads this may think I've wondered off topic, but when you really take a minute to think about it, entitlement occurs when quality's, as stated above, are not taught and folks well... just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerman View Post
    I want you folks older then 30 to think real hard about this; what were the very things instilled unto you from a very young age? In my world it was responsibility, ethics, morals, trust etc. all of which needed to be displayed on a regular basis in order for me/us to earn privileges and the very things I/we wanted as a child.
    I am over 60 and have to say that some of the young-ish adults of today have better values instilled in them than a lot of the folks I grew up with. Some of the younger generation have poor "responsibility, ethics, morals, trust etc.", but that isn't new or unique to their generation IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    I am over 60 and have to say that some of the young-ish adults of today have better values instilled in them than a lot of the folks I grew up with. Some of the younger generation have poor "responsibility, ethics, morals, trust etc.", but that isn't new or unique to their generation IMO.
    Not new to or unique to their genation or the youth of any generation. I shake my head or give a giggle whenever I here about "the good ol' days". Folks like to point out or remember the good stuff and forget about or leave out the bad stuff. Texting while driving, what a joke. In the good ol' days drunk driving was acceptable. When the cops stopped you they would tell you to go straight home and be careful. God knows how many got dead over the decades from drunk driving. Oh, the good ol' days when a 12 year old kid could buy cig's with a wink and a not and hang out on the corner an smoke 'em. Back when people couldn't use the same bathroom, motel or restaurant or vote if they weren't a certain color. And don't fool yourself into thinking there wasn't massive entitlement going on. Everyone was entitled to a decent paying job, a home and an education. Thats why we built highways and bridges and had charitable non-profit hospitals. We have always had entitlements, always been guilty of bad behavior and always struggeled with right and wrong, positive and negative.

In my humble opinion the only individuals on the trail that are entitled to anything are those trail maintainers that make it possible for the rest of us. Yet is'nt it amazing how humble and grateful they are as they quietly go about doing their work.
    Maybe those with the rock star entitlement attitude should volunteer to help clean out the privys.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Not new to or unique to their genation or the youth of any generation. I shake my head or give a giggle whenever I here about "the good ol' days". Folks like to point out or remember the good stuff and forget about or leave out the bad stuff. Texting while driving, what a joke. In the good ol' days drunk driving was acceptable. When the cops stopped you they would tell you to go straight home and be careful. God knows how many got dead over the decades from drunk driving. Oh, the good ol' days when a 12 year old kid could buy cig's with a wink and a not and hang out on the corner an smoke 'em. Back when people couldn't use the same bathroom, motel or restaurant or vote if they weren't a certain color. And don't fool yourself into thinking there wasn't massive entitlement going on. Everyone was entitled to a decent paying job, a home and an education. Thats why we built highways and bridges and had charitable non-profit hospitals. We have always had entitlements, always been guilty of bad behavior and always struggeled with right and wrong, positive and negative.
    why are we so fond of the "good old days"?

we were younger.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post

we were younger.
    I miss the good old days. I bought cigarettes at 12 years old. I bought my first BB gun at the same age from a Western Auto with just a phone call from my momma. Walked down the street with it all the way home. It was a Daisy Pal. Cost $6.50 total. Took me forever to save up for it.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    I miss the good old days. I bought cigarettes at 12 years old. I bought my first BB gun at the same age from a Western Auto with just a phone call from my momma. Walked down the street with it all the way home. It was a Daisy Pal. Cost $6.50 total. Took me forever to save up for it.
    You must have been a rich kid...I had to smoke rabbit tobacco and grape vines and shoot a sling shot made from a stick and blow out inner tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    You must have been a rich kid...I had to smoke rabbit tobacco and grape vines and shoot a sling shot made from a stick and blow out inner tube.
    Well, really 4 of us had to chip in and buy the cigs. Then we would row the boat across the river from my grandma's house, climb a tree and smoke 5 cigarettes in a row. We'd get dizzy as hell and stagger around for about an hour and then row back. We'd pocket our milk money and drink water. Skip a lunch or two that week and take a sandwich from home. We called slingshots flips. Carved them out of pallet slats. Soaked inner tubes in kerosene to make them stretch. Oh yeah. We were entitled to do this because we were the future baby boomers.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Well, really 4 of us had to chip in and buy the cigs. Then we would row the boat across the river from my grandma's house, climb a tree and smoke 5 cigarettes in a row. We'd get dizzy as hell and stagger around for about an hour and then row back. We'd pocket our milk money and drink water. Skip a lunch or two that week and take a sandwich from home. We called slingshots flips. Carved them out of pallet slats. Soaked inner tubes in kerosene to make them stretch. Oh yeah. We were entitled to do this because we were the future baby boomers.
    I have a pretty nice truck now with all the gadgets but 10 years from now I wont remember it...but I'll still remember that first bicycle I put playing cards on the wheels to make it sound like it had a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The vast majority of hikers are great folks.

This is so good to hear. The horror stories of addlebrains make me think my hike might be a very lonely one.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    me too. i think i'm a lesbian...

And you get mad at me for my comments? Too funny LW..
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

we were younger.
    We were not responsible. We were required to trustworthy, kind, and so naive. Then came Carrol O'Conner and removed all the doubt.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Oh and Chris Rock, Billy Crystal, Bill Cosby, Woopie.. Need I go on?

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    I will be down in Ocean City Saturday with my wife at Harpoon Hanna at the Tiki bar... The first round is on me...If you cant make it... I will be there Sunday... It will be a great discussion for you to pull up a chair and discuss the trail.

I promise. After 4:30!

Woo

and thats why we want our kids to see what backpacking has to offer-happiness without all the "stuff"
    True, but even with backpacking you see it creeping-in: I must have the newest, lightest tent, the best sleeping bag, the coolest boots, the greatest stove, etc.
    "The stuff" changes, but does the attitude?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oruacat2 View Post
    True, but even with backpacking you see it creeping-in: I must have the newest, lightest tent, the best sleeping bag, the coolest boots, the greatest stove, etc.
    "The stuff" changes, but does the attitude?
    well, the attitude is up to us and how we raise them.the more they do it, the more function trumps fashion.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++