WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker8261 View Post
    FRS & MURS do not require licenses in the US while GMRS does. Since a large percentage of the bubble pack radios have GMRS frequencies and the vast majority of users don't get licensed, you would have lots of company if you failed to get one. If you are in Canada, FRS & GMRS is license free but MURS use is not yet allowed (2014 perhaps) chris
    But isn't The GMRS license a no test, no qualification license? You fill out a form, pay a fee, and get your license.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crusinsusan View Post
    AAARRRRRRGGGGG!. I just spent that much on a new phone and kindle paperwhite.

My only consolation is that my phone takes pics, and Earl doesn't.
    "Ahh dont worry about it... Get a I-Talian Smart phone." says Tony...

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Smartphones are poor ebook readers under the best conditions due to their small screen. They're even worse under the sun. There's a very good reason eink screens are very popular even though b&w lcd screens cost less.

As far as not getting a cellular internet connection, obviously this thing is not a cell phone. If you have a cell phone connection, you don't even need an internet connection, just make a call. Sensors are used when a cellular connection isn't available. I especially like that it using inertia sensing to complement the gps.

If nothing else, I'd like to see this product push Garmin into seriously updating their devices. I was hoping AllSports would do that a couple years ago, but they never brought their device to market.
    Sorry Leafye... I use Smart phone in the auto mode and it adjusts to light. Larger thinner screens and cheaters are just fine. E INK has been dumped by manufactures, in favor of color. It Doesn't sell.

I have a E-Ink Kindle is done folks without a backlight.

LW Doesn't work in the USA you need a wire a mile long on the eastern seaboard beach attached to a premium receiver with a good filter and the wire is suspended on 6 foot staves along the beach every 10 feet. SW sucks. Look AM/FM digital with MP3 is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I'm not in the market for something like this right now (don't even have a smart phone) but were I, I like all the features, especially the radio options SW/LW/AM/FM, but am wondering about the transceiver and if this requires a ham operating lic.

As a ham I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post
    Too big (6" screen), too heavy (10.8oz), no phone, no wi-fi. But at least it has e-ink. And the radio bands are nice.

When is somebody going to make a phone with e-ink?

The comment about phones making poor e-readers is bunk. The best e-reader is one that displays no more than you can absorb in a glance. I speed-read a book a week, reading two hours a day on 4" Android screen bouncing along the HOV in the back of a 15 passenger van. It used to take me three weeks to finish a paper book in the same conditions. The difference is the backlight light and not having to constantly re-find my place after every bump in the road. And unlike a book or a Kindle, it fits in my shirt pocket.

You only need a big screen and color to surf the internet. And then 6" isn't enough.

"thats what she said....."

The perfect device:

4" e-ink touch screen w/ backlight
    2 week battery life in airplane mode
    4 oz
    Android
    phone
    wifi
    am/fm/weather
    gps
    phone
    SD card
    waterproof/shockproof
    Replaceable battery

Still waiting...

WOW I so agree...some smart phones come close.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Sorry Leafye... I use Smart phone in the auto mode and it adjusts to light. Larger thinner screens and cheaters are just fine. E INK has been dumped by manufactures, in favor of color. It Doesn't sell.

I have a E-Ink Kindle is done folks without a backlight.

LW Doesn't work in the USA you need a wire a mile long on the eastern seaboard beach attached to a premium receiver with a good filter and the wire is suspended on 6 foot staves along the beach every 10 feet. SW sucks. Look AM/FM digital with MP3 is all you need.
    Yes, your phone adjusts, and uses a ton of power to be readable in daylight. That's fine if you like carrying a big external battery to read a bunch.

E ink has been dumped? Someone forgot to tell Amazon about that.

Color is a possibility with e ink too, although the refresh rates are much better suited to e-readers and mapping devices than multimedia tablets and smartphones. Amazon just bought a color e-ink company last month. Qualcomm just spent another $60 million this month to further push their e-ink technology towards production. Qualcomm is that company that has parts in many, if not most, smartphones.

As far as LW and SW goes, you may be right, and it doesn't bother me. It has AM/FM and MP3, which is all I need, and it's a bonus if LW and SW work at all because I'll probably never use it. If you actually did want to use it, then you'd want to know that they've added an external connection for an antenna. That'd be appealing to me if I were a survivalist with a BOL.

Add Voice-to-Text transcription & sign me up!
    cvt

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison Bergeron View Post

The perfect device:

4" e-ink touch screen w/ backlight
    2 week battery life in airplane mode
    4 oz
    Android
    phone
    wifi
    am/fm/weather
    gps
    phone