WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    If this is not sarcasm, it is the saddest view of marriage I have ever seen. I married someone who completes me, not squelches my every dream in life. We took on each others interests. We seek to please each other. That's what people who love each other do. If you are not marrying for love and acceptance of each other, I would question why you would marry.
    Preach it! I'm likely to remain always a clueless weekender, because I love my wife more than the trail. I can swing a longer section once in a great while, but I'd never put her through what it would take to support me in a thru. And that's fine - I like the amount of hiking that I do. (Then again, when I retire, she's likely to send me off on a thru just to get me out of the house!)

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerChef View Post
    I have no problem with anyone enjoying a nip or two from time to time. On my last hike with my family, we arrived at the shelter to find a bunch of guys out for the weekend. They already had a fire going and were quite polite and sociable. After we had finished dinner they left the fire they made and walked off down the trail a bit out of sight. I became worried that perhaps we had offended them somehow or the kids were talking their ears off. Well, after a piece they came back and explained they had a tradition on the trail but didn't want to pass the bottle in front of the kids. I assured them it wasn't a problem with our kids (they've seen almost everything under the sun on the trail already) but I appreciated the sentiment all the same.
    I'm wondering if they have a similar custom to one group that I've hiked with: on the last night of an outing, they'll pour out thimblefuls of something and toast those who are now hiking in a better world. Nobody gets drunk, just a little remembrance of our departed.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    One of the reasons I hike is to detox--I abstain from all drugs, including caffeine and alcohol, and even OTC meds. I don't carry Vitamin I and have never used it on a hike. I get more funny looks when I turn down coffee than when I turn down beer. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and don't like hiking with any kind of buzz.

That's my opinion. If you hadn't asked, I wouldn't have said a thing, and I feel it's your absolute right to enjoy alcohol responsibly on the trail.
    I can do without the booze - in fact, when I'm hiking, for whatever reason, I want it less. But if I can't have coffee I'm not going! Apologies to the Mormons, and I'll try not to indulge in front of their kids.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i agree. chew your own arm off if you have to
    I suggest finishing off the whole bottle of whiskey first
    Last edited by Train Wreck; 05-07-2013 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Fakin the Funk View Post
    Im not joking about feeling forced. I aint a spring chicken, all my friends are getting married, and the woman I am with now is the best yet, so it wont be a total disaster. It will just be a tall order to tell her sorry, gotta quit work, leave you for 5 months, have limited contact, and experience a life changing moment without you. Maybe she will be cooler about it than I think, but I have serious doubts. Glad to hear that wettin my beak wont be a huge deal out there. Just ready to do it.
    Why don't you invite her along?
    You'd have a drinking buddy!
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

Two thoughts. Marrying the first time was the biggest frigging mistake in a life that has been lined up with stupid. Marrying the second time, best thing that every happened to me.

And: I too take & enjoy good whiskey in the woods. The main 'problem' I've run into is the other hikers who 'yogi' from me when they realize I've got some.

Journal Entries
    Images

While we argue about the marriage. - As a Wise Old Owl that has been bitten by a Alligator... One should not offer Politics with Alcohol unless the folks around the campfire bring it up first.

We have a new motto up at the cafe... Don't feed the Alligator and if you do, you must jump the fence and retrieve what you lobbed over.

We have one in the pond in front of the Cafe keeps the kids away from fishing.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Why don't you invite her along?
    You'd have a drinking buddy!

B-I-N-G-O

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I am a hiker not a psychiatrist, life coach, addiction or marriage counselor. .

Images

Three comments,

First, I just called the Maryland State Police and turned myself in, am guilty!

Two, I carry on every hike, at the end of a long, tough day out hiking a drink is awesome!

Lastly, one night I was in bed with my wife before a 2 week section hike and she said, "you know, all of my friends are jealous that I get two weeks along", I asked which friends, she said, "ALL OF THEM".

Give your marriage some time, you might find that she begins taking your gear out of the attic, hint hint!

Honey, I love you but I think that you need some time in the woods.

That is when you will have it right!

OK honey, as usual I guess you are right, adios!

Liquor store and hit the trail!

Journal Entries

1) If you dont want to get married, then by all means dont. It will be a mistake.

2) If you drink, who cares. Just dont be drunk, dont be an a-hole, dont expect everyone else to drink with you either.
    Be respectful of others, everything is good. Dont leave your empty flask or bottle behind because its too heavy to carry either.

One of the reasons I hike is to detox.

Wow, I thought I was one of only a few with this same perspective.

I don't mind being around drinking people I know and trust. It's the newbies or unknowns I don't care to be around. As someone mentioned, things can get out of hand quickly. Fortunately, I'm a picky ale/beer drinker. Heineken is usually my beverage of choice and it's hard to find near trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I am a hiker not a psychiatrist, life coach, addiction or marriage counselor. .
    But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Images

do people disagree with you about your drinking or politics and life in general ? whatever the answer, it probably won't change on the trail.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

who cares what others think. laugh loud, love strong, live long.

Unfortunately someone who drinks is frequently the worst judge of whether or not they acting rude or obnoxious to others . I think thats why "impaired judgement" is frequently cited for folks doing stupid or violent things. Someone drinking at a campsite is also a major "flag" to others, particularly women that the site may not be the best place to camp.

Folks who like to drink usually like company so I expect a drinker will attract other drinkers.

This is not what you asked but....

Since you're talking a 2,184 mile thruhike, not a weekend or even week-long section hike, and since you like to have your nips twice a day (if I understand you correctly), have you thought through the implications of:

Hydration - the more alcohol you consume, the more water you will need, especially since you're lugging a backpack up and down mountains most of the time, sweating copiously, more so as you reach the mid-Atlantic in the heat & humidity of summer. Several years ago while on a section hike, I once met a prospective thruhiker who asked me if I could spare some water - he was totally out but he still had an ample supply of vodka! The need for more water to complement your whiskey adds to...

Pack weight. Sure, alcohol is lighter than water but you're still packing a container - bottle, flask, whatever - with liquid which adds weight and takes up space in your pack. All of us have luxuries when we hike so if that's your's, so be it but just know what you're getting in to. And then there's...

Replenishment Availability Even in trail towns and stops that aren't in dry jurisdictions, your libation of choice may not be available unless you're willing to hitch great distances. Trailside resupply points that normally provide enough for the "typical" thruhiker may not stock hard liquor. Perhaps you need to start a thread asking about whiskey availability up the Trail corridor.

Wow at first I thought 'are you crazy TS, who cares if you have a drink?' but apparently plenty of people in here see it as a potentially 'volatile' situation...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!
    huh huh huh he he eeeee that was good

I don't drink anymore, in part because I drank alot in the past haha...so I have nothing against drinking along the way. I guess what I find strange is the desire to drink WHILE hiking, I must say I've never run into too much of that before. Mostly kids seems to do that, but the odd hiker carries a small hip flask of their favorite whiskey. As for me I wouldn't have ever done that, just because I would have needed to carry a decent amount of booze to make it worthwhile.

As for drinking on the trail itself, no one will care as long as you are not drunk, and if they don't see it. I think it's fairly normal to see someone smoke a cigarette, joint or have a nip of whiskey around the campfire, not every night but fairly common. It's not so much the drinking or smoking, it's more the person and behavior of that person. Nothing wrong with having a few gulps of whiskey sitting around the fire and getting fairly tossed...but no need to get loud or obnoxious, etc...

I might say however, if you do plan on hiking in 2014 and you are focused on this topic, you might want to re think it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Yeah, he needs to buy that t-shirt they sells at Neels Gap "I hiked the entire width of the Appalachian Trail"
    I was just driving from Frankfort, MI, to the Detroit Airport. On the way I passed a sign for the North Country Trail, which is over twice as long as the Appalachian Trail.

I want a "I hiked the entire width of the North Country Trail" t-shirt. That's even more impressive.
    Fred Coulter

My Hikes
    Working on the Florida Trailwalker program: 9 down; 1 to go

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++