WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation 2013 Katahdin Stream Campground questions answered

The name of the mountain is Katahdin, and the summit is Baxter Peak.
    Share - the bus ride, the shuttle, the campsite - save $, make friends.
    Your bus gets in many miles away from the Park at 7:30 at night. You are not going to camp in the Park that night.
    Contact the AT Lodge about their MEGA deal, they'll pick you up at the bus stop, put you up for the night, and take you to KSC the next morning.
    It's really a good deal.

Watch the snow melt here: http://www.neoc.com/webcam/twin-pine...am-camera1.php
    and here: http://www.chesuncooklakehouse.com/webcam.html
    and from the east: http://www.katahdincam.com/

You're not going to climb on May 15th. Plan your start later.
    Here's my 'unofficial' list of opening dates over the last decade plus:

'12 May 20th
    '11 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol open Memorial day weekend.
    '10 May 25th
    '09 May 20th for both Hunt and Abol
    '08 Park canceled traditional May 15th opening, Abol and Hunt open May 29th.
    '07 May 31st
    '06 Abol May 15th, Hunt May 18th
    '05 June 4th
    '04 May 16th, the AT was a brook between the Falls and the Hunt Spur.
    '03 May 24th
    '02 May 15th (Day hikers summited via Abol May 10th)
    '01 prior to May 20th
    '00 Memorial Day Weekend
    '99 May 18th (per South Walker '99)

You want to book a lean-to for the night before and after your climb. Your gear stays dry, you can get a pre-tourist start in the AM, and you get to recover from the AT's hardest 10.2 miles around a campfire. The long hike out the next day to Hurd Brook Lean-to can be a slog with tired legs, so relax and get a well deserved good night's sleep.

Map: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority...._Stream_08.pdf
    Tent sites 16 and 17 are roomy, plenty of space for two or three backpacking tents,
    Lean-tos 1-3 are quiet walk-ins, lean-tos 4-8 are streamside and away from the parking area.
    Reservation information: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/reservation/
    Buy a bundle of firewood or two at the Ranger's cabin. Cash only, you can also buy maps and guides.
    Note: The AT has been relo'd to go straight across the tote road and behind Grassy Pond, a throw back to the route Earl Shaffer took.
    Yes, you can start before 7 AM if the trail was open the day before.
    Local radio station and weather: http://www.themountain949.com/
    TALK WITH THE RANGER!

After you hike out the next day plan on a stop at the rebuilt Abol Bridge Store. New owners, and good eats.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Thank you, really helpful!

Great info,

There is no place to buy last minute gear in the park or any food (no concessions) and what is available in Millinocket it low end stuff like Walmart may carry

Bring DEET (not available) in the park . Feel free to bring natural type repellent but expect that you will be finding a place to throw it away very soon.

If you can get a space in the bunkhouse at KSC, do it. Its the lowest cost per person and the least buggy. You will have plenty of time to get used to them when you leave the park

The critters are well trained at the campground and they are very good at stealing what you have. Car campers are told to lock everything in the trunk. I expect the rangers will have good suggestions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There is no place to buy last minute gear in the park or any food (no concessions) and what is available in Millinocket it low end stuff like Walmart may carry
    Ole Man owner of the AT Lodge has started a small outfitter shop this year, so last minute gear may be available in Millinocket.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

In your opinion, when do you think they might open it this year?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post

Bring DEET (not available) in the park . Feel free to bring natural type repellent but expect that you will be finding a place to throw it away very soon.
    Consider picaridin over DEET, it is more effective against biting flies (look for 20%). +1 on the vegan bug juice, if you want to go that way just get a net and long sleeves, 'cause it is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by merc_41 View Post
    In your opinion, when do you think they might open it this year?
    BSP staff will make the call after some in person inspections.
    Conditions on the Tableland will be the deciding factor.
    Until it dries, and probably only until some string fencing to keep hikers on the trail is in place, it will stay closed.
    I expect the Abol Slide trail may open first, it connects to the AT by Governor's Spring, and appears clear of ice and snow from below.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

If they open up the Abol Slide trail before the Hunt, can you still summit to get that ever important picture?

When in the morning does the AT Lodge normally get people to KSC?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flachenmann View Post
    When in the morning does the AT Lodge normally get people to KSC?

In 2009, several of us went to the cafe for breakfast at 6:00 and the shuttle headed out at 7:00. We went up the Abol trail and down the Hunt. After leaving our packs and signing in at KSC, we were shuttled back to Abol for a start at around 8:15.

Question: I've got a reservation for Chimney Pond the first night that I'm in BSP. Is it possible to leave your pack with the ranger overnight, borrow a daypack and return it to KSC the next day? Just wondering cause if not I'll have to carry my 100 mile wilderness food with me the whole time, and Knife's Edge seems.... rugged.

I am missing something. If you slack pack from Chimney to KSC and drop off the daypack, how is the backpack going to get over to KSC? I expect you may spend half a day htching to and from KSC to Roaring Brook then hiking up to Chimney picking up the backpack then hiking back down to Raoring brook and htching back to KSC to start a southbound.

I would be starting at KSC and hiking up towards Katahdin, where I would either summit Katahdin or take the side trail around to Chimney Pond. The next day I'm taking the Knife's Edge to summit Katahdin (of course, weather permitting), and would be back at KSC that next evening. I would not be going to Roaring Brook at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by merc_41 View Post
    If they open up the Abol Slide trail before the Hunt, can you still summit to get that ever important picture?
    The Abol trail connects with the AT near Governor's (Thoreau) Spring on the Tableland.
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by srvand02 View Post
    I would be starting at KSC and hiking up towards Katahdin, where I would either summit Katahdin or take the side trail around to Chimney Pond. The next day I'm taking the Knife's Edge to summit Katahdin (of course, weather permitting), and would be back at KSC that next evening. I would not be going to Roaring Brook at any time.
    If you start at KSC, you are on Katahdin. If you mean you heading to Baxter Peak, you will be summiting Katahdin on your way to "the side trail Chimney Pond." Which "side trail" are you considering?
    Teej

Question: I've got a reservation for Chimney Pond the first night that I'm in BSP. Is it possible to leave your pack with the ranger overnight, borrow a daypack and return it to KSC the next day? Just wondering cause if not I'll have to carry my 100 mile wilderness food with me the whole time, and Knife's Edge seems.... rugged.
    I would not recommend your plan.
    Teej

This is one of those plans that if you have to ask then you shouldn't do it. Climbing Katahdin is tough enough just doing it once without trail legs, but two days in a row is brutal. Sure there are some people that can do it, but like I said if you have to ask...

Thanks for the recommendations guys that's why I post on here. But my initial question still stands: Would they hold some of my gear over night?

And that side trail I was mentioning was the Baxter Peak cutoff trail.

Thanks for the recommendations guys that's why I post on here. But my initial question still stands: Would they hold some of my gear over night?
    You can leave whatever you like on the Ranger's porch, as long as you tell them your plans. A left-over pack at the end of the day sometimes causes concerns. Be advised the porch is unlocked, unattended, and often a snackbar for mice. Your plan is still not recommended. Go in to Roaring Brook, hike to Chimney Pond, camp, go up and over the next day. You have a rez for Katahdin Stream after your summit, right?
    Teej

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++