WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Faces on the BMT

I figured I'd start a thread on backpackers I have seen on the BMT since it was officially opened in the summer of 2005. I have those photos of the Mud Gap BMT Grand Opening too but I have to find them. Anyway, here are some of the folks I have seen in the last several years.

Feel free to add your own.

Here are some early thruhikers, Tulip and Silverwing. They just got lost on the unmarked (at the time) section where the Stiffknee trail meets Slickrock Creek and turned right instead of turning left (heading north).

In January 2008 I run into, who else? Sgt Rock on Whiggs Meadow.

In April 2008 I run into BMT backpackers Cuffs and Eman on Slickrock Creek.

Eman and Cuffs crossing the mighty Slickrock.

We part ways at the Stiffknee jct.

Trailworkers rank too and here is Two Speed, Jeffrey Hunter and Tom on Beaverdam Bald heading down to Sled Runner Gap to work on the Brookshire portion of the BMT.

Here are the boys in Sled Runner Gap---Generoll, Two Speed, Tom Waters and Jeffrey Hunter.

Jeffrey and Tom talk about camping on the Brookshire Creek trail/BMT at a midway campsite.

A crew from the GATC come in to hike the BMT Brookshire portion in September 2008.

The GATC crew climbing up the BMT on the Brookshire Creek trail.

Another shot of the GATC crew somewhere on the BMT near the Brookshire Creek crossing.

MORE TO COME

In December 2008 I run into BMT thruhiker Trickster on top of Whiggs Meadow. I think she did the whole thing.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Dang Slickrock creek is low in that picture.....

Here are some more folks on the B Mac---

Here is Kurt Emmanule (left) and the Chattanooga Hiking Club in Sled Runner Gap for a 5 day trip on the BMT.

Here is Kurt crossing the Uppermost part of Bald River on the Sugar Mt section of the BMT.

Here are the boys near the top of Hazelnut Knob and Moss Gap on the State Line Ridge portion of the BMT.

We make it to Sandy Gap for a break. The B Mac goes up and straight to 6 Mile Gap.

In 2010 I run into Sgt Rock and his son on the Ike Branch part of the trail in a place I call Wild Bird Camp.

They make it into the little gap on Ike Branch and take a break.

Also in 2010 I run into this BMT thruhiker named Shwartz near Cold Spring Gap in the Citico wilderness.

Shwartz hiking the Beech Gap section of the trail.

Shwartz in Unicoi Crest at Beech Gap taking a break on his way south.

Later in 2010 I run into thruhiker Superman (and Whiteblaze member). This is near Cherry Log Gap.

On the same trip I run into Regina Reiter who has thruhiked the BMT 4 times. Here she is near Birch Creek on the BMT Connector between Trail 149 and Cherry Log Gap.

And also in 2010 I run into this woman thruhiker climbing on the Sycamore Creek trail to Whiggs Meadow and her trailname is Tru? Trudy? True??

And then Sgt Rock has a hammock hang on Slickrock Creek on the BMT and here is Ewker and Medicine Man, etc.

And then of course there is German Tourist who is pulling an intricate AT/BMT/Pinhoti route and here she is on Fork Ridge trail climbing up to Big Frog Mt on the B Mac.

I run into these 2 BMT thruhikers Boots and One Liner near Sled Runner Gap on the Brookshire Creek trail.

And then I run into these 2 thruhikers near Beech Gap and heading north towards Farr Gap, etc. They are Jim and John.

Along Slickrock Creek section of the BMT I run into Smack and Squirrel thruhiking south.

Smack and Squirrel preparing to cross a very low Slickrock Creek.

Whiteblaze member Bearpaw is finishing his BMT section hikes and doing the Slickrock Creek part.

Images

Good times.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

the woman in the pic with me and Medicine man is Hamhocker
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    the woman in the pic with me and Medicine man is Hamhocker
    Thanks for the info.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter;14659

[IMG
    http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2010/23-Days-with-Hootyhoo-Sgt-Rock/i-GnWNdTX/0/M/TRIP%20115%20208-M.jpg[/IMG]
    Whiteblaze member Bearpaw is finishing his BMT section hikes and doing the Slickrock Creek part.
    Thats the worst food hang I can recall seeing!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You're right, I usually sleep with it in the tent vestibule.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    It's bear bagging meant to thwart those pesky teddy bears

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    It's bear bagging meant to thwart those pesky teddy bears
    They can be vicious. Bearpaw knows this for sure. I caught this one going thru all my food bags and actually ADDING acorns to my peanut bag and then it started raining and he got wet but stayed in the tent vestibule with me after clawing a trench around the tent to aid in drainage and doing a few backflips into a nearby water hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    They can be vicious. Bearpaw knows this for sure. I caught this one going thru all my food bags and actually ADDING acorns to my peanut bag and then it started raining and he got wet but stayed in the tent vestibule with me after clawing a trench around the tent to aid in drainage and doing a few backflips into a nearby water hole.

That is indeed a bad news bear!

FACES ON THE BMT

Here are some more from the trip archives.

No discussion of the BMT is complete without pics of Bill and Diana Ristom, here shown on Big Frog Mt.

Several years ago members of BMTA did a 7 or 8 hike of the BMT and this shows Regina Reiter and Rick Harris and others coming up the steep Ike Branch section going south.

Sgt Rock joins us around the Stiffknee part of the trail.

The group climbs Stiffknee and takes a break at Farr Gap on the B Mac.

The group makes it to Cold Spring Gap by Beech Gap and celebrates.

The group makes it to 5,000 feet at Whiggs Meadow.

BMT backpackers pose on the Brookshire trail heading up to Sled Runner Gap and State Line Ridge on their way to Unicoi Gap.

A couple years later I run into Regina Reiter on the West Fork of Rough Creek pulling her 4th thruhike of the BMT with her friend Jonathan.

Great photos!

Good to see pics of SGT. Rock, Ewker and Superman... I recognize their names but I don't know them at all.

It is good to see all these great pictures. I now have a face to go with some of the names on WB. Tipi, don't let this go to your head, but I think you should be in the Hiker Hall of Fame (if there is one). Maybe White Blaze can come up with something to recognize you and other hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Abatis1948 View Post
    It is good to see all these great pictures. I now have a face to go with some of the names on WB.
    Glad to see this thread resurrected. Here are a few more in my collection---

This pic is from Bama's trail journal of her BMT thruhike April 2011 thruhike with "65". She brought Sgt Rock's guide and wanted me to pose with it.

Here's my pic of Bama and "65" near Sled Runner Gap on the Brookshire Creek trail of the BMT.

Here's Bob Butterfield from Alabama backpacking the Fodderstack Ridge section of the BMT near Crowder Branch jct.

Bob Butterfield, Patman and Kellie on the BMT atop Big Frog Mountain.

A group of backpackers crossing the West Fork of Rough Creek on the BMT in the Big Frog wilderness.

Last fall we did the AT from Amicalola Falls to Fontana. We then went back and did the BMT from the Falls to Twenty Mile. We just did the new extension from Tapoca to Walker Gap. That completes our "short" loop. Since we're not allowed in the Smokies that will have to do for now. We may head on up north of the Smokies this summer, we'll see.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++