WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT thru Stokes next weekend

I was thinking of taking my son and daughter to the Gren Anderson shelter the first night then continue the next day to Sunrise MT for the next day and turn around. The total miles the first day would be 3 miles and then 8 the next day or were they get tired. How is the weather at night in this area? Would this be a nice hike at this time of the year?

Nice hike,some nice views.Water available at Gren Anderson, down near road.

I just did Rt 206 to High Point this weekend. It was nice during the day; a little chilly in the 40's at night. The only thing I would recommend is waiting a week or two until the trees start to pop with early leaves, it was pretty bare.

It's pretty easy hiking which is nice. You'll get some nice views to your left as you hike NoBo. There's a few cleared areas along the way that you can stop for a break and take in the view. I used to lead youth campers on overnighters from Culvers Gap to High Point state park (sleeping behind Mashipacong shelter). We always did lunch at Sunrise mountain. Concur with the temps this time of year. It'll still get chilly but it beats the muggy humidity in the summer.

The temps are why I wanted to go at this time of the year. We hiked to High Point monument last summer and it was hot and muggy. I think my son will enjoy it.

++ New Posts ++