WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    I have over time grown to realize people who use made up words are probably just stupid.
    Hello Chief,

I am guessing that your comment was directed to me, if so then I am sorry if my wording offended you. Actually, neurodiversity is not a word that I made up, it is actually a social movement that has been around and growing for some time that advocates for the mentally ill. For example here is an article from the New York Times Health section from 2004.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/09/we...to-brains.html

Here is a quote from the Wikipedia entry on Neurodiversity that explains it better than I could...

"Neurodiversity is also an online international disability rights movement, and has been promoted primarily by the autistic self-advocate community (though other disability groups and disability rights communities are being included). This movement frames neurodiversity as a natural human variation rather than a disease. These advocates reject the idea that neurological differences need to be (or can be) cured, as they believe them to be authentic forms of human diversity, self-expression, and being. These advocates promote support systems (such as inclusion-focused services, accommodations, communication and assistive technologies, occupational training, and independent living support[1]) that allow those who are neurologically different to live their lives as they are, rather than attempting to enforce uncritically accepted views of normalcy, or conform to a clinical ideal."

I have a close relationship with someone most people would consider as having a mental illness. The more we both focused on 'fixing' the aberrant behaviors the more miserable we both became. When I finally began to fully accept this person for who they are, the happier and healthier we both became. This person experiences the world in ways that I will never fully comprehend, yet from their unique perspective has flowed such incredible creativity, and beauty and yes sometimes pain. It can hurt to watch them struggle in a world that values normal, but I love them deeply and knowing this person has enriched my life so very much.

Anyway, that is my perspective and the reason I posted as I did. I am sorry if it made me sound stupid.

Scott

Images

I would like to thank everybody for your responses. I appreciate the thoughtful discussion. I don't want people to be fearful while hiking the AT or any trail, and I'm not trying to increase fear. I am, however, a big advocate of being alert and prepared in your mind ahead of time for certain scenarios you might encounter.

One thing I never seriously considered was encountering serious mental illness. I had considered how I would help someone who was hypothermic, though (as a former EMT, it's just natural).

So anyway, I think I made the right decision for me, for that situation and it worked out, so that was a relief. I was not alone and had phone service and somebody else who knew the situation. After thinking about it a bit I decided that had I been alone, I would have moved on and then called the police, for his safety.

Images

I believe a couple were murdered on the trail helping a mental person, I would give some food and move on.

Journal Entries
    Images

sad but unfortunate and true... again driving to the trail is far more dangerous.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Mental Illness, drunk behavior, doing drugs, rude hikers, and dogs, all part of the trail experience.

Try to find the good in people = priceless.
    +1 Ditto! Nice post WOO!

Chief, thank you for sharing part of your personal experience; I've been in a similar situation and it has resulted in a combination of much joy and pain for me. It might not count for a lot, but I don't think you sound stupid at all. I appreciate your input and am glad we are all sharing our ideas and perspectives on this topic. I'm not sure there are any right or wrong answers here; I guess that's why I mentioned each of us following our own instinct because it often won't steer us wrong if we pay attention. At least every time I have not listened to my gut, I have paid for it later -- but when followed it has kept me and others out of jams. It sounds like the poster, Chris, is kind and also sensible; he had support while he was helping the person -- and I respect his choice.

We can only help as much as the person lets us and at times we might feel discouraged, but kind words and deeds can have a huge impact on someone. I once read a book about a psychiatrist who was doing therapy with a young man who would not talk to this doctor. The doctor respected the young man's wishes and each session said "I'm here for you when you're ready to talk. I will just sit here and read until you say something." This went on for several months. Finally the parents contacted the doctor and gratefully thanked the psychiatrist for all the wonderful work he had done with their son and reported that the teen had much improved and was doing very well. Here all the young man needed was to be respected and given the power to choose silence. Amazing how simply respecting a person can plant a seed of healing that we might never fully understand. However, some people might have severely criticized this mode of therapy and said the good doctor was uncaring and ripping off this family who was paying for therapy every week -- yet it was just what the adolescent needed. Long story short -- ya just never know...
    "She whispers from night dreams. She leaves behind on the terrain of a woman's soul a course hair and muddy foot prints." Clarissa Pinkola Estes

sorry for the oops: I called Carry On, Chris in my above post.
    "She whispers from night dreams. She leaves behind on the terrain of a woman's soul a course hair and muddy foot prints." Clarissa Pinkola Estes

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I have over time grown to realize people who use made up words are probably just stupid.
    Please give me an example of a word that wasn't made up by somebody.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i think they should post in the "special' forum and on the trail only hike the psychedelic blazes.

If you can figure out a way to keep them in the "special" forum. To some all the blazes are psychedelic.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chris too View Post
    sorry for the oops: I called Carry On, Chris in my above post.
    No worries.

Images

For anybody who is interested in what happened next, I finally got the next blog entry completed. As you can see, it all turned out okay, at least for us. It was one of the most intense nights I would spend on my thru-hike, but nothing bad happened to any of us that night. It didn't negatively affect my overall experience or add more fear to my hike. Chris is someone I could have encountered in any city. Just most of the time I wouldn't spend the night with him. :P

http://carryonadventures.blogspot.co...king-club.html

So true ....

Images

nice.......

Images

A few posts here helped me with what I have been dealing with lately. Life with a child who has autism. Through the pain of fighting his behaviors I have started to see the beauty. Or I should say, pain is the touch stone of all growth? I had to look for the beauty in his behavior, otherwise I would go nuts. It is constant, night and day, affects all in the home. We really focus on good days, because the bad ones would leave you hopeless. Ok- enough, life is good, it could be worse. I love WB. Maybe I will start a post for Hikers with autistic family. He loves the woods. The pics in my profile are of him at the Pinnacle in PA. Anyhow, I think I am going to put a post up. Thanks for letting me dump.

God bless you keepinitsimple. My husbands sister has an autistic son. The picture of you and your son is beautiful. He is a beautiful boy.

I know it's not easy at times..... I think you should start a post for other families dealing with autism. Support is a good thing. So glad you found some support on this thread.

I've met two people so far that both told me outright that they were on disability for mental illness and lived on the trail. Both seemed nice enough, but both also gave me cause for a little concern. Not enough to make me uncomfortable but enough to make me a little more aware of what's going on around me. If it got to the point that I was uncomfortable I'd just move on.

I was a little concerned for the liking one of the guys seemed to take for last year's ridgerunner at Annapolis Rocks though. I got the impression that he was circling up and down the trail just to have an excuse to stop and see her. When we mentioned her briefly he perked up and had a lot of questions. She was probably half his age. No offense to the very friendly and helpful guy that's up there this year, but I don't forsee him having the same problem.

I have known too many people who have died at the hands of, or were serious hurt, by mentally unstable people to get involved with them on the trail. I am cautious even in the city, but on the trail when I am hiking alone? There is no way. Women should be even more cautious.

I realize that many feel compelled to reach out to the mentally unsound people on the trail. As politically incorrect as it may sound, I think it is dangerous to do so especially if you are alone. When I am off the trail, I help in other ways, but when I am on the AT or out hiking? No.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlue View Post
    I have known too many people who have died at the hands of, or were serious hurt, by mentally unstable people to get involved with them on the trail. I am cautious even in the city, but on the trail when I am hiking alone? There is no way. Women should be even more cautious.

I realize that many feel compelled to reach out to the mentally unsound people on the trail. As politically incorrect as it may sound, I think it is dangerous to do so especially if you are alone. When I am off the trail, I help in other ways, but when I am on the AT or out hiking? No.
    As has been mentioned, sometimes calling the authorities is helping. If I really thought someone was in danger, but didn't feel comfortable helping myself, I'd call the authorities once I got what I considered a safe distance away. You can't categorically say you wouldn't help in any way. Just from reading this one post of yours I think you seem too compassionate for that... But who knows, I may be wrong.

Originally Posted by chief

Shakespeare invented over 1700. I won't go on a "rant", as I may be perceived as one traveling on a "moonbeam". Now I would not call him "zany" or "gnarled" but his "stupidity" seems a bit "unreal". The post I quoted made me "uncomfortable" but my "addiction" to words spun my feelings towards "laughable".

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    As has been mentioned, sometimes calling the authorities is helping. If I really thought someone was in danger, but didn't feel comfortable helping myself, I'd call the authorities once I got what I considered a safe distance away. You can't categorically say you wouldn't help in any way. Just from reading this one post of yours I think you seem too compassionate for that... But who knows, I may be wrong.
    I think it goes without saying that the majority of us would naturally call the authorities just to alert them of the situation and save them from themselves if need be. Likewise, if someone was hurt or suffering from hypothermia, I would help them regardless. If it was possible, I would call for help first. Hypothermia indeed often masks itself as deranged and disoriented anyway. Hopefully I could get a signal and the person would allow me to help. If not, I would do what I could and then seek out help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++