WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

I really enjoyed my stay last year in the private little treehouse. No snoring, just the creek singing to me all night!

I mailed a resupply there and stayed a night there in 2010 when Curtis was still alive. Got a hot shower too! No problems. I was very happy that SB was where it was, right after coming out of the Smokies NOBO. Hope the business continues to be successful for many more years as it's a great boon to hikers.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Jeremiah had a horse Buttcrack Johnson's Avatar

I have stayed there several times, I miss Curtiss, Semper Fi and RIP, he was a true salt of the earth. I will be back in the spring for a hike to Hot Springs. Marie, I'll bring you some more of those jumbo south Florida Avocados. Does Rocket and Lumpy still reside there?

The first anniversary of Curtis' death was just a few days ago. The hostel is indeed very much open for the 2016 season, and they expect a really big season. Maria (Curtis' wife) still runs the place; the always helpful Lumpy is the Caretaker; they still hold mail, do shuttles, and are dog friendly. More more information about this great place, check in your Companion or AWOL guidebook. Oh, they also have adequate re-supply to get you to nearby Hot Springs, as well as offering all sorts of food and drink you can prepare and enjoy on the premises.

Images

I stayed there once' I think it was the 1 st or 2nd year. I enjoyed my stay, got refreshed & had a great time with the other guests! Years later while driving to a wedding my wife & I stopped so she could see a hostel, my non hiking wife was very impressed,,, there is the best recommendation I can give! My WIFE Liked SBF!!!

standing bear.jpgstanding bear 3.jpgstanding bear 2.jpgstanding bear 4.jpg
    I was there last week and Maria seemed to be doing just fine. I don't think she will mind if I post a couple of pic.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Best daggum hostel on the trail! Followed closely by Four Pines. I've had the great pleasure to work and stay there 2012, 2013, 2014. NOBODY works harder and takes better care of hikers than Maria Guzman - I don't care what you "heard". I miss you Curtis, Rockit, and Old Jack too. Hi lumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisvowen View Post
    Maria here, owner of Standing Bear Farm. Let's get some things straight: I am an avid resale shopper and I hand pick each and every item I sell; I do this as a service for my hikers.
    Maria,

First, my condolences on the loss of your husband.

It is so impressive that you scope out the resale shops looking for great deals to pass on to your guests! That is so considerate of you! Please, do not apologize for needing to "make a living." Obviously, that is a necessity.

While I rarely stay in hostels on my yearly 100-200 mile section hikes, I plan to visit your hostel in the next month. I look forward to meeting you!

Journal Entries
    Images

Cool Photos at Standing Bear Farm Hostel

After I parked at Standing Bear,
    www.standingbearfarmhostel.com/home.html
    used one of its shuttles,
    www.standingbearfarmhostel.com/services.html
    returned to the hostel after a short section hike, and then had a refreshing hot shower; I took some photos of the place to give people an idea of what it is like.

If you’re wondering how to get there
    www.standingbearfarmhostel.com/where.html
    either while hiking south from Hot Springs or after taking Exit 451 from I-40, this photo
    whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63230
    shows where to hike (or drive) after going under the expressway. Just go up this gravel road until you see this combo marker/sign on your right
    whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63229
    The marker correctly states that continuing south on the AT will take you over a creek next to the road; the sign tells you the hostel is just up the road. When you see this on your right
    whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63228
    you know you’re there. If you’re driving, continue up the road until you see vehicles parked on your left. Park there if you’re section hiking; I paid $5 a night to do so.
    The hostel features a bunkhouse
    whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63227
    laundry, kitchen
    whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63226
    supply store
    whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63225
    as well as some creative walkways.
    whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=63224
    I didn’t use any of the hostel facilities other than its showers, which had hot water that came and went without much warning – clean towels are provided, and leftover bottles of shampoo are always there. The place seemed clean, and the staff was helpful & welcoming. Arranging shuttles is a simple matter of calling ahead, or talking to the manager while there.

Quote Originally Posted by jburgasser View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Curtis and Maria at Standing Bear Farm just past the northern boundry of the Smokies? Planning on mailing a food drop there and have read...mixed reviews of the personnel there. I guess I just want to hear from anyone who has mailed food there and if there package was there undisturbed when they got there.

Thanks! Ickybod
    We shipped a box there, it was there when we arrived this spring.

Shuttles for slackpacking were driven by drivers who were not intoxicated or under the influence (and who were courteous and who drove well).

Hot water is constant unless you add cold water, then it gets a little tricky. But solid pressure and continuous flow. Lots of soap and shampoo.

A lot of safety meetings, but plenty of space without any.

The fresh meals were extremely reasonably priced and had large portions, great quality.

The overflow sleeping area was better than the bunkhouse for sleeping. Quiet and everyone there had showered.

The washer worked well, the dryer was being worked on.

I'd say it was worth the price and the location was perfect. No complaints. I'd have complained when I blogged if there was something to complain about. https://ethesis.wordpress.com/2019/03/

Given the location, it just cannot be beat.
    Last edited by Elaikases; 07-18-2019 at 07:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post

The washer worked well, the dryer was being worked on.
    Washer? Dryer? Must have been some improvements in the last few years.

This was their washer when I went through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn't do laundry there but when I passed through early April last year they had a dryer working but that washboard was the washing machine
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Quote Originally Posted by LazyLightning View Post
    I didn't do laundry there but when I passed through early April last year they had a dryer working but that washboard was the washing machine

They had a washing machine when I passed through earlier this year. Glad they had it rather than the washboard.

Was looking for photos of Curtis and found this thread...RIP Curtis

Any photos of late Curtis?
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Just be aware that when we were there we looked at their little store, people's unclaimed supplies from mail packages were up for sale. So if you don't pick it up, they will open the package and sell the stuff, rather than try to return it. We were disappointed to see this...

-

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Just be aware that when we were there we looked at their little store, people's unclaimed supplies from mail packages were up for sale. So if you don't pick it up, they will open the package and sell the stuff, rather than try to return it. We were disappointed to see this...
    unless you arrange to pay for return postage, why would they be expected to

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Makes sense to me, #1 it would be an expense for SB to ship packages back and #2 who wants some ramen and snickers mailed back to them, when considering the financial loss's involving a thru hike the ramen and knorr loss is way down on the list...As well, if it were important to the hiker they would contact SB to get their package returned.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

If the package was sent USPS, then simply writing "return to sender" would get it back to them. If it wasn't then opening unclaimed boxes and putting the contents in the hiker box is the thing to do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++