WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Let's talk Tyvek Rain Gear

I've been researching the modified Tyvek DuPont coverall design for DIY rain gear (described here) and want the advice of people who have done this. My hope is to modify the coveralls into a long rain jacket and then cut out the back and attach a pack cover in the Packa style (skipping the pants). I'm even considering getting bold and adding pit vents, but first things first.

1. The material itself... is it actually waterproof? I have heard both ways.
    2. I understand the Tyvek coveralls HAVE to be seam sealed/reinforced. Best method? Tyvek tape and/or everyday tent sealant? What about the zipper?
    3. 'Bushwackers' talk about them not being sturdy. I'll be using mine on the VA section this summer. Am I right in assuming I won't be doing much 'bushwacking' and therefore don't need to worry too much about wrenching my way through tangled bramble in the rain and tearing it?
    4. I'll be on the trail a month... will this thing last?

I appreciate your input!

I wouldn't use anything but a poncho in the summer - a rain jacket doesn't have enough ventilation for hot weather hiking.

Someone else may suggest a Packa, but I don't have any experience with them.

Another option (popular) is to go with a well-ventilated (pit zips are an absolute necessity in warm weather) rain jacket and a "rain skirt" either made from a heavy duty garbage bag or manufactured from silnylon, cuben fiber, or whatever else is durable and waterproof.

Ventilation is the key word for summer rainwear.

Then there is the umbrella crowd - haven't tried that.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

Buff - sorry - just buy what you can afford... please do not go down this path... its loaded with disappointment.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I've been researching the modified Tyvek DuPont coverall design for DIY rain gear (described here) and want the advice of people who have done this. My hope is to modify the coveralls into a long rain jacket and then cut out the back and attach a pack cover in the Packa style (skipping the pants). I'm even considering getting bold and adding pit vents, but first things first.

1. The material itself... is it actually waterproof? I have heard both ways.
    2. I understand the Tyvek coveralls HAVE to be seam sealed/reinforced. Best method? Tyvek tape and/or everyday tent sealant? What about the zipper?
    3. 'Bushwackers' talk about them not being sturdy. I'll be using mine on the VA section this summer. Am I right in assuming I won't be doing much 'bushwacking' and therefore don't need to worry too much about wrenching my way through tangled bramble in the rain and tearing it?
    4. I'll be on the trail a month... will this thing last?

I appreciate your input!
    A quote from the site you linked us to:

You are probably wondering how waterproof and how breathable a Tyvek rainsuit is. I wore the jacket in the shower at home with 30 pounds of water pressure and it only leaked a little through the front zipper. However, a hiking companion (non other than Gossamer Gear founder Glen Van Peski) wore his Tyvek rain jacket in a prolonged rain and it soaked through. So a Tyvek rain jacket should be considered showerproof but not waterproof. Perhaps a DWR treatment, such as Nikwax TX Direct would make it more waterproof in a prolonged rain.
    I think you'd enjoy the project, go for it. Lots of other good info at the linked site. It was an informative read, thank you.

Journal Entries

Well, the seams are poorly sewn on those things, and WILL rip out easily. You will probably need to re-sew a spot or two, especially crotch, anyway.
    Tyvek tape wont do a great seal job, because you will never get rid of every wrinkle under it.
    Silicone works OK for sealing.

Could you recommend a good poncho? I find them SO cheap I'm just not sure which ones are worth it. I'd be willing to transfer this project over to modifying a poncho to include the pack cover.

I'm decidedly not in the umbrella crowd. No hatin', just not for me lol.

Virginia in the summer, I would be wearing a a poly tshirt and shorts while hiking. Dri ducks jacket if it was windy maybe.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Could you recommend a good poncho? I find them SO cheap I'm just not sure which ones are worth it. I'd be willing to transfer this project over to modifying a poncho to include the pack cover.

I use a Mountain Laurel Designs pro poncho for warm weather raingear. Great emergency shelter also.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    I use a Mountain Laurel Designs pro poncho for warm weather raingear. Great emergency shelter also.
    I was looking at that yesterday... so nice and SO out of my price range!

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I'm going to be trying out the tyvek jacket on an upcoming hike. I'm just not convinced that it wouldn't work for what I typically encounter/my style. If it's pouring down rain all day outside, I'm going to be inside since I'm hiking with my kids. If it only protects against the passing shower then that's perfect! It will also act as my wind layer. The tyvek pants worked GREAT! on our winter hike through winter storm Virgil and 3 foot drifts. But I did have to repair the crotch in mine with a bit of duct tape. That tape held for 7 days and is still going strong. Forget the tyvek tape. And, if you want, you can always stitch it up with a sewing machine.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Golite is supposed to make a decent, affordable poncho. Equinox makes a couple, but they might not have added pullout ties to the centerline (if you set it up like an A-frame you'll need tieouts for the ridgeline or you won't get a tight pitch. The Equinox ones are sold on their website and Campmor.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++