WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taking my son and wife from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap

First I would like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post here. I am taking my 13 year old son and my wife hiking and plan on going from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap, spreading it out over 6 days. I plan on going about 6 miles or so a day and taking my time. Want to spend some quality time with my wife and son and not push it so hard that they are trashed at the end of each day. I have planned out food and the majority of the logistics of the trip, Shuttle, place to stay the night before, and equipment, thanks to a lot of asking and reading as I have no desire to mimic my Army days with my wife and son in tow.

Any pointers are welcome as this will be their first hike of any kind and my first one as a civilian(although I have been out for many years). I want this to be something I can share with them for many years to come so I am trying to make it a good time for them both. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Sounds like the miles you've planned will be easy and enjoyable. If you have the proper gear, good trail food and a good attitude towards the journey, I don't see how they wouldn't have a great time. Welcome to WB!!

Images

Taking it easy is a fine idea. Note that some of the better water sources are near shelters or other camping areas, and these tend to be about 8 miles apart in that area. Springer > Hawk Mountain > Gooch Mountain > Lance Creek > Neels Gap is a pretty common itinerary for a low-key hike. The first day is relatively flat, too, which is nice.

Have fun!
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

For a special treat, how about getting picked up by the folks at Hiker Hostel at Woody Gap, and spend a night there for a hot shower and great breakfast. They will drop you off back at Woody Gap to continue the hike. I did that two years ago when I did that section.
    Check out their website.
    http://www.hikerhostel.com/
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Walker View Post
    For a special treat, how about getting picked up by the folks at Hiker Hostel at Woody Gap, and spend a night there for a hot shower and great breakfast. They will drop you off back at Woody Gap to continue the hike. I did that two years ago when I did that section.
    Check out their website.
    http://www.hikerhostel.com/
    Correction, they at at Dahlonega, GA. They pick you up at Woody gap
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

Thanks, good to know about water sources. I am planning on picking up a map before I go any recommendations? I looked at the AT guide but I'm not sure I will need something that extensive for a hike that short. Thanks Big Cranky. HikerMom they are both excited, my son is totally uninterested in all the amusement parks here but is through the roof about this hike and camping trip.
    Any thing I should not miss between those two points? I figure I'm on a pretty loose schedule so side trips won't be any issue.

FreedomWalker I am going to make reservations to spend the day before the hike and the last day at the Hostel and take the shuttle from there to Springer and hiking back to my car.

You ask about stuff not to miss even if they are on a side trail. Long Creek Falls, just 4.9 miles into your trip, is worth the very short side trail to get to (just be careful to notice where the white blazes lead when you get back to the AT -- there is another trail intersecting in that very spot!). Also, take a little time to poke around and take photos up on top of Blood Mountain on your last day.
    Last edited by map man; 04-22-2013 at 21:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher_68 View Post
    Thanks, good to know about water sources. I am planning on picking up a map before I go any recommendations? I looked at the AT guide but I'm not sure I will need something that extensive for a hike that short. Thanks Big Cranky. HikerMom they are both excited, my son is totally uninterested in all the amusement parks here but is through the roof about this hike and camping trip.
    Any thing I should not miss between those two points? I figure I'm on a pretty loose schedule so side trips won't be any issue.
    Sounds great Preacher_68! I don't know that section real well so I can't speak to what's not to miss between those two points. I'm sure someone else will chime in that knows better than I. Let us know how it all works out for y'all. We'll cross fingers and toes for great weather.

Got to come up with some place safe to park the car in Neels Gap and then get to the Hostel without paying a small fortune. Any Ideas anyone?

Never mind on parking did a search and figured it out, this is really a great forum.

Journal Entries

Remember if you plan on camping between jarrod gap and neels gap you will need a bear canister for your food. If you follow Big Crank's route, you wil be ok.
    Blackheart

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Remember if you plan on camping between jarrod gap and neels gap you will need a bear canister for your food. If you follow Big Crank's route, you wil be ok.
    Doesn't that expire in June sometime?
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Images

The official AT map for Georgia was redesigned a few years ago and is excellent. I would also recommend getting The AT Guide -- you can download a PDF version for half price ($8) and just print the pages you need to carry. Together, these two resources will provide significantly more information than either will by themselves, especially about water and campsites.

+1 on Long Creek Falls.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    Doesn't that expire in June sometime?
    June 1 if I remember right, but how many bears do you know that can read a calendar?
    Blackheart

Looked at that BV500 but it's hard to tell how much stuff I can shove into it, and I heard that a bear up in the Adirondacks figured out how to open one, but I like the fact that's it's waterproof. Where can I get a copy of the official AT map?

Journal Entries

Guide Books and Maps can be found at http://www.atctrailstore.org/
    Blackheart

Journal Entries

If you don't have one already, get AWOL's AT guide here http://theatguide.com/
    Blackheart

Images

You're not going to be able to fit six days of food into a Bear Vault for one hiker, let alone three of you. Just don't camp in that 5 mile section -- if you pull up at Lance Creek on the last night, then climb over Blood Mountain to Neels Gap in one day, you'll avoid it.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher_68 View Post
    First I would like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post here. I am taking my 13 year old son and my wife hiking and plan on going from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap, spreading it out over 6 days. I plan on going about 6 miles or so a day and taking my time. Want to spend some quality time with my wife and son and not push it so hard that they are trashed at the end of each day. I have planned out food and the majority of the logistics of the trip, Shuttle, place to stay the night before, and equipment, thanks to a lot of asking and reading as I have no desire to mimic my Army days with my wife and son in tow.

Any pointers are welcome as this will be their first hike of any kind and my first one as a civilian(although I have been out for many years). I want this to be something I can share with them for many years to come so I am trying to make it a good time for them both. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
    Ya'll will most likely get really bored sitting 18-21hours a day at camp. I took my 4 yo and 6yo daughters on the Standing Indian Loop 2 years ago, we did 8 miles a day at a painfully slow pace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++