WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Recommendation for 1+ Person Cuben Fiber Shelter

Hi Folks,

Seeking opinions here: What is the best all around cuben fiber shelter for 1+ person? My girlfriend and I do a lot of cowboy camping but need a backup shelter for inclement weather. We've decided to get a cuber fiber shelter (preferably one that has a net floor). Any specific model come to mind? Size is not an important factor - we're only going to be using it in a pinch, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a dedicated 2-person shelter.

We've already look at ZPacks Hexamid Solo Plus and like it. Can anybody recommend shelters similar to this one?

zpacks is quality stuff
    ask them for a slightly heaver cuben
    to stand up to the extra punishment.
    i have two pieces from them.the workmanship is astounding .
    i have another cuben piece from another cotttage and it has not held up

You might look at LightHeart Gear, the SoLong 6, in cuben, could be a possibility.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

My Hexamid Twin arrives today! The twin is just 0.9 ounce heavier than the solo plus and might be worth a look if two people will share it.

The BEST 1+ person shelter(whatever that means?) DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN it has to be made from Cuben!!! I'm NOT anti-Cuben by any means but when you phrase a question like that I think you are TOO HUNG UP with Cuben! Look at 1+ shelters that meet other ALL AROUND desires/priorities first and THEN PROCEED to 1+ cuben shelters. Several makes of GREAT 1+ shelters offer them in different fabrics! - MLD, SMD, Henry Shires, LightHeart, etc. Once you find the shelter you want based on these ALL AROUND(FULL RANGE) of desires see if you want to drop the extra do re mi on getting it in cuben. Of course there are those gear manufacturers who primarily or only focus on Cuben shelters too!

You might want to consider Bear Paw Wilderness as well. He has both Sil and Cuben. He will customize which is a nice option.

Images

I really like my So Long 6, every year gear and options will improve..............light, waterproof (no misting as with sil nylon which I did not like), packs small, packs dryer than other fabrics after shaking it out..........good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The BEST 1+ person shelter(whatever that means?) DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN it has to be made from Cuben!!! I'm NOT anti-Cuben by any means but when you phrase a question like that I think you are TOO HUNG UP with Cuben! Look at 1+ shelters that meet other ALL AROUND desires/priorities first and THEN PROCEED to 1+ cuben shelters. Several makes of GREAT 1+ shelters offer them in different fabrics! - MLD, SMD, Henry Shires, LightHeart, etc. Once you find the shelter you want based on these ALL AROUND(FULL RANGE) of desires see if you want to drop the extra do re mi on getting it in cuben. Of course there are those gear manufacturers who primarily or only focus on Cuben shelters too!
    Dogwood you need to calm down bro...read the post, they asked for a recommendations on cuben fiber shelters, not your opinion on cuben. They never said that cuben was the best, they simply said they had 'decided' on cuben. Settle down soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Dogwood you need to calm down bro...read the post, they asked for a recommendations on cuben fiber shelters, not your opinion on cuben. They never said that cuben was the best, they simply said they had 'decided' on cuben. Settle down soldier.
    Since when are we restricted to only offering advice within the exact parameters of the OP when some other advice might actually be useful? I can see Dogwood's point and think it is good advice to shop the features you need and then decide on the material. The all caps sections do make his post seem over the top though.

Quote Originally Posted by staehpj1 View Post
    Since when are we restricted to only offering advice within the exact parameters of the OP when some other advice might actually be useful? I can see Dogwood's point and think it is good advice to shop the features you need and then decide on the material. The all caps sections do make his post seem over the top though.
    I don't disagree with Dogwood's post either, but the thread wasn't about 'what do you think is the best shelter material'...CAPS MAKE IT DIFFICULT TO TAKE A THREAD SERIOUSLY! SO DO EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!

Any love for Yama Mountain Gear? His Cirriform SW is nice.

I have the hexamid duo, use a sol emergency blanket works well. It will mist in rain, high humidity, keep a micro fleece on hand. If I were buying today I would get the duplex or triplex tent, easier entry and exit, dual entry, grand kids are ready to overnight, 25.7 oz for three, hard to beat.

Journal Entries

I have the Heximid Solo with the 'Solo +' bathtub - it is a solid design and build (and yes you can mix and match bathtubs and tents). Can be used with a G/F or anyone you don't mind spoon sleeping with) as long as neither of you are in the extra large size range. I would however look at the zpack new offerings that are roomier.

Other comments on replies: Cuban is a great choice for a occasional use - bad weather tent, it does not hold water as sil-nilon does so if you have to pack a wet tent up you are packing up less water then a equivalent sil-nylon tent - also cuban does not feel like you are packing up a wet puppy.

Someone recommended getting a heavier weight cuban fiber for the tent, I don't feel that is needed, mine made it the entire thru and I still plan on many happy nights in it. Especially if you are using it for occasional use, you may even consider a lighter one.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I went with the zPacks Hexamid Duo, no net, with a Cuben bathtub floor. With the extra space I figured I could avoid the need for a bivy sack to protect from spray. Great cool weather setup. I was considering the Solo+ but the extra space was worth the 1 ounce penalty.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I went with the zPacks Hexamid Duo, no net, with a Cuben bathtub floor. With the extra space I figured I could avoid the need for a bivy sack to protect from spray. Great cool weather setup. I was considering the Solo+ but the extra space was worth the 1 ounce penalty.
    +1 - i went with the duo, for an ounce it gives me space: I may be a little guy but I have a big bubble -> I like my space

Quote Originally Posted by psyenz View Post
    +1 - i went with the duo, for an ounce it gives me space: I may be a little guy but I have a big bubble -> I like my space
    I'm like you. I like my big bubble. Since 1P shelters aren't exactly penthouses, cuben fiber makes sense if one is weight conscious.

Journal Entries

Depends.
    If you are somewhere like the high sierra, where you want to sleep out and stargaze, a tarp with UL bivys is probably preferable to an enclose shelter.
    If you are in a buggy area, an enclosed shelter that gives you room to move around is nice, because you might get in early to avoid the bugs.
    If you will sleep in shelters as well, a detachable floor that can be used for groundcloth in shelter is nice
    Even an innernet is nice in shelters that have bold rodents.

If you will set up in the rain, its nice to be able to set up tarp and cook or hang out under it, then set up innernet later

In my opinion, a two piece tarp/inner net is usually the most useful shelter. But at a weight premium. Of course, it can behave somewhat like a double wall too.
    One piece with attached floor, is at the bottom of my list for versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I have the Heximid Solo with the 'Solo +' bathtub - it is a solid design and build (and yes you can mix and match bathtubs and tents). Can be used with a G/F or anyone you don't mind spoon sleeping with) as long as neither of you are in the extra large size range. I would however look at the zpack new offerings that are roomier.

Other comments on replies: Cuban is a great choice for a occasional use - bad weather tent, it does not hold water as sil-nilon does so if you have to pack a wet tent up you are packing up less water then a equivalent sil-nylon tent - also cuban does not feel like you are packing up a wet puppy.

Someone recommended getting a heavier weight cuban fiber for the tent, I don't feel that is needed, mine made it the entire thru and I still plan on many happy nights in it. Especially if you are using it for occasional use, you may even consider a lighter one.
    I recently purchased a Zpack Heximid Solo. One feature I really liked is the replaceable bathtub floor. It is replaceable if damaged, so I don't have to carry a ground cloth. I can also use it in shelters to protect my Neoair Xlite or use it separately to "cowboy camp".

Quote Originally Posted by frogpockets View Post
    zpacks is quality stuff
    ask them for a slightly heaver cuben
    to stand up to the extra punishment.
    i have two pieces from them.the workmanship is astounding .
    i have another cuben piece from another cotttage and it has not held up

do you mind stating which company's product did not hold up. I am in the market and would be grateful.

++ New Posts ++