WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I use a bladder plus carry a Gatorade bottle for juice or flavored drinks!
    As for bladders getting "funky dirty" I clean mine by dropping a denture cleaning tablet in & running it thru the hose ! Couldn't be easier! No reason for them to become icky other than laziness!
    Last edited by nu2hike; 05-28-2013 at 15:24. Reason: Misspelling

Images

I Carry Both also. I use the bladder when Im hiking and my camelbak bottles when in camp. choices are good!

I carry a 4 liter MSR Dromedary in my pack (usually empty) for use around camp--and two (one liter) Gatorade bottles in the side pockets on my pack.

Typical water bladders (especially with drinking hoses) are prone to rips, tears, leaks, contamination issues, mechanical problems etc. These issues are particularly true if you carry them on your hike with water in them and/or drink directly from them. Conversely, Gatorade bottles can be replaced every 1-2 weeks. (Thus, reducing the risk of excessive bacteria and virus buildup). Very little chance of mechanical failure. Easy to clean (if necessary).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

I tend to carry a 3l Platy and a Gatorade bottle. But I don't use the tube for the Platy.

On a trail where there is a lot of water, I tend to only use the Gatorade bottle during the day, unless I am in a dry section. I mainly carry the Platy to fill up in camp, as I find that 3l carries me from dinner, breakfast, and a start on the trail the next day. Also, although I am not big into having redundant items, it is nice to have more than one thing that can carry water, in case on fails.

Clarifying my earlier post... I do carry two Gatorade bottles while hiking. However, that does not mean that I always hike with both of them full. It depends upon availability of water on any particular trail. Often, I will carry only one liter of water. Conversely, I never hike with any water in the bladder I carry in my pack--- unless it is believed there will be a significant scarcity of water. I typically use the bladder just at camp. Like others have said, the bladder gives me all the water I need at camp--and enough to fill bottle(s) for the trail the next morning. Saves time getting out of camp in the morning.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Clarifying my earlier post... I do carry two Gatorade bottles while hiking. ....the bladder gives me all the water I need at camp--and enough to fill bottle(s) for the trail the next morning. Saves time getting out of camp in the morning.
    Agreed! It is nice to only filter once when arriving at camp!

Images

For many years, Nalgene bottles, occasionally supplemented with plastic OJ jugs which could easily be lashed on the outside of my Kelty Tioga.

When the Kelty was retired, so were the Nagenes. Replaced with Platypus "Hoser" bladder. Used this for many years, along with supplemental Platypus soft bottles for extra capacity when needed.

Last summer, changed to two 20 oz Powerade bottles carried with the ULA bottle tethers on the shoulder straps. Supplemented with Platypus, Sawyer Squeeze, or similar soft bottles for extra capacity. I really like this system, and it's lighter than a bladder. Is also less hassle to refill and I always know how much water I have.

In regard to filtering, I just fill my soft bottles with "dirty" water and carry that. When I need more drinking water, I just refill the Powerade bottles via the filter. Simple, plus, if I carry too much and don't need it all, I can just dump the remaining "dirty" water and gather new, cold water before filtering. I find filtering at meal time is adequate most days, done while breakfast or dinner water is heating, so no added time, really. At lunch break, filtering is a none-issue as well.

As for bladders getting "funky", it's never been a problem when section hiking for up to three weeks at a shot. Between trips I just dismantle the bag/hose/valve and soak in a basin of bleach water for an hour or so. I then rinse everything thoroughly with clean water, and hang to allow it to air dry. Once it is dried out, re-assemble and it's ready to go the next trip. I assume a similar routine once a month or so on a distance hike (minus the need to dry) would keep everything sanitary and clear. Other folks have suggested freezing between trips, I never found this necessary.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-25-2015 at 09:44.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++