WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Boots or Shoes, that is the question...

I have alway shiked in boots, I guess it is my old school nature (40 years old) that tells me when I am hiking in the mtns I need a solid boot.

Well I have finally changed over to a shoe, I purchased the Wildcat by Sportiva after reading on here and watching a few vids from thru hikers who wore this shoe on their thru hikes.

I hiked 6 miles on some blue blazes around blood mtn this past weekend and not one blister or hot spot, my feet were a little sore just from not getting out much during the winter. The shoe feels so roomy and cool in the front and the back feels sturdy. The grips are amazing, I walked over a wet tree log over a creek just to see how they gripped. Amazing.

I didnt have much weight on my back and my base weight on my pack is 14lbs with no food or water.

Im a huge fan.

My latest boots have about 250 miles on them, the treds are comming off already (Vibram sole but the treads are wearing off).

My boots are Patagonia Nomads, they give blisters everytime I wear them and I always get hot spots after 3 or 4 miles in them. They also take forever to dry after a rain and my feet sweat horrible in them.

The sportiva, after 6 miles... No hot spots on my feet, no blisters and little sweat. They feel very roomy and like air when walking. The only thing I give up is ankle support, which concerns me when I start up backpacking in them. I would hate to roll my ankle due to wearing a lighter shoe.

Any thoughts?
    You're not going to live forever
    Find this to be true
    Use your past as a guide
    While you're alive
    Live

Images

You're the only person who can answer that question. I love trail runners and that is what I use on trails out west that aren't rocky and rooty like the AT. However I've sprained my left ankle at least 50 times so whenever I hike in the east I have to use boots for ankle support. I can't wear New Balance, other people love them. Shoes aren't a one size fits all, just have to find what works for you.

As one who has rolled ankles more times than I can count, many times in heavy hiking boots including custom fit Limmers, I am convinced that I am better off in low cut trail shoes. I believe that I have a better "feel" for the terrain, and my feet are more free to flex so I do not roll the ankle. I also must disclose that the ligaments are pretty stretched out at this point, so I have to go pretty far to really sprain it.

Images

Hey Spirit Bear, I recently did the same thing. we are about the same age and I understand the logic of a solid boot. But in my never ending effort to lighten my load I recently did 40 miles ( 2 days) in a pair of non-descript Asic sneakers. it worked for the most part. And PA has some rocks. The mileage beat me down, not my choice of foot wear. I was concerned about twisting an ankle. I was more nimble on my feet for sure. Pack weight around 15 with no sleeping/shelter gear. Bottom line is I am glad I did it. next time, with same sneaker, I will add one of those green super feet inserts. one of my goals is to do something different every time I go out. its how I learn and grow as a section hiker

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

They're your feet, so only you can answer.

Personally, I'm fine with trail runners for mild-weather day trips or on a smooth trail. In the Catskill Crud (the local counterpart to the Pennsylvania Rocks, and the same geologic formation) I wear titanium-toed work boots. The couple of times that I tried carrying an overnight pack in the Cats wearing trail runners, I came home with badly bruised toes. By contrast, my work boots are well broken in, fit me well, and are decently grippy on the rock. I've never had to burn a hole in a toenail to relieve pressure underneath when I've gone out in them.

My snowshoe and crampon bindings will accommodate either my work boots with gaiters or else Sorel pac boots. I don't have GI Mickey Mouse boots, but want to pick up a pair if I ever spot them going for cheap. But that's only for going out in full-on winter. I know people who wear trail runners and gaiters in the snow. I don't like that. Maybe if I had Gore-Tex socks, but I've heard mixed reviews of those. One of my hiking partners swears by them, another swears at them.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

1) what is "ankle support" you cite
    2) specifically how do your boots provide this and how much do they provide

3) do you have a 8oz bag liner and expect it to provide 15 F warmth

As another old schooler here in "rooty/rocky" GA, I used to wear boots (Lowas) all the time. I now only wear them in winter for the extra warm. I found that I instinctually raised my foot up when my ankle would start to roll, regardless of my footwear. I now wear hiking shoes and think my ankles have gotten stronger. I also have a base weight that is a fraction of what it was 20 years ago, so I don't need that heavy duty boot anymore. I haven't progressed to ultra lightweight trail runners, though. Not sure how they would hold up in the long run. Then again, many do it in sneakers (Jardine).

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Bear View Post
    I purchased the Wildcat by Sportiva
    I'm thinking about getting a pair of the wildcats too so I had some questions since I'll have to order them online because there's not a store that sells them nearby.

Do they fit true to size or do they run a little snug?
    No additional insole required because there is already enough cushion?
    Do you wear 1 or 2 pair of socks?

thanks

Those boots appear fairly low cut and you may not be getting much ankle support in them anyway. I only hike in boots in the winter or occasional day hikes in the last pair I bought for 3 season hiking. I switched to trail runners that rarely ever give a blister, and nothing at all as severe as those I used to get in boots. So having been in a similar situation as you, I chose trail runners.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++