WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How to take care of my air mattress?

After swearing by CCF mattresses for their durability and weight, I finally splurged on a Thermarest NeoAir and I can't believe how much I was missing out on. It's only a few ounces lighter than my old CCF, but it more than makes up for that by keeping me so much warmer at night that I can shave whole pounds off my pack by bringing lighter sleeping bags and clothes. Also, it packs down so small that it fits in my backpack, so my kit takes up a lot less space, which is nice for maneuvering through trees and over rocks. And oh my gosh, it's so comfortable. In short: I'm a total convert.

However! I've never had an air mattress before, so I'm worried that I'm going to ruin it out of ignorance. I know not to put it on sharp things, obviously, and I keep a repair kit with me just in case, but do you have any other advice? For example, I fold it up the same way every time to put it in its stuff sack; is this going to wear it out along the repeatedly-folded edges? (I would never fold any of my other gear this way, so I'm worried about it for my mattress.) Please, educate me, so I can enjoy my beloved mattress for years to come.

Thanks in advance.

lay it flat somewhere and leave the valve open

When your out hiking make sure its in a stuff sack in your pack to avoid it getting punctured from other things in your pack. This also means that you should think a little bit about what you stuff next to your neoair in your pack. Avoid putting things like your stove or other sharp or rigid items near it so they don't rub against each other. When camping I would recommend using a groundcloth under your tent as an extra layer just in case. When at home chaco taco is spot on just leave it normally unrolled and really make sure to keep the valve open otherwise it will mold on the inside from the moisture in your breath when you blow it up I found this out the hard way but my neoair did last for my whole PCT thruhike and with all the sharp stuff in the desert I am surprised it survived. But I used a groundsheet for everything cowboy camping and tent camping so thats my recommendation.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I've spent over 200 nights on my Neo without a leak. When carrying it I always roll it then fold it in half and put it in a stuff sack. At home I just store it rolled loosely.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    lay it flat somewhere and leave the valve open
    +1,leave it behind a couch or under a bed.....

The instructions for my newly purchased Neoair Xlite says it's OK to store rolled up in the stuff sack. What gives?

Also: Keep DEEt away from it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

1) in a yr or two it will be outdated and something better will come along, so dont sweat it. Gear IS NOT supposed to last forever, it is supposed to be used.
    2) If you bought from L.L. Bean, Backcountry, REI, or somewhere that has no questions asked satisfaction guarantee/return policy, you have nothing to worry about. If it fails, you can get it replaced quickly, no hassle, regardless of why.

++ New Posts ++