WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default If staying at Eagles Nest Shelter...

...take your trowel. The privy is full to the toilet seat. The BMECC person responsible has been notified. O/W a nice place to stay, with the water obtainable en route from the trail to the shelter. No mice yet either.

Lot of wild turkeys around too. If you find any key ring w/3 keys in this section, PM me. They're probably mine!

Default If staying at Eagles Nest Shelter...

Was there on Saturday true about the privy. Your keys were found by a large group that I saw at a campsite south of there. The group looked like a family. I saw them around 2 ish they asked if the keys were mine. Left a note in the log at the shelter. Hope you get them back

WOW it was full on my 2012 thru-hike and also on my 2006 thru, sounds like that shelter needs a full time caretaker.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    WOW it was full on my 2012 thru-hike and also on my 2006 thru, sounds like that shelter needs a full time caretaker.
    Or at least a deeper hole...

Images

...or fewer people using it!! When we built this one in '87-'88, it was designed for 150% of the projected usage based upon a formula that we developed from data contained in the registers from the other shelters in our area. But we did such a good job on the shelter that it became an overnight destination in the first year (especially for the Boy Scouts, who have a camp nearby), and we exceeded capacity IN THAT FIRST YEAR AND EVERY YEAR THEREAFTER! We added a second composting bin, but we cannot expand the collector under the seat without tearing down the original superstructure and building a larger one - and that will mean another sanitation permit. Over the years, I've trained over 2 dozen operators, but every single one has either moved out of the area, died, or has had to give it up due to personal reasons...leaving ME to run both the Eagle's Nest AND William Penn composters. I will be stepping down as shelters chairman by the end of the year (27 years is long enough), so if anyone out there would like to learn how to run a composting toilet and take over for me, PM me ASAP. It's really easy - it only takes about 3 to 5 hours a week from May through September (composters can't run when the temperature dips below 45*, so in the wintertime, it just sits there and fills up).
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

That privy was full when I spent the night in the shelter in 2011.Guess I should have brown blazed. And there was a lot of mice in the shelter stomped one dead but my food still got chewed on.

Yep, full as well for me when In went through in March of 2013.

Images

Well sounds like a "Feces Fork" is needed.I found one at Jerry's Cabin shelter before the privy was relocated last year.BTW a Feces Fork is a potato fork or rake used to remove potatoes from your garden,to which a several foot long piece of pvc pipe has been added for smashing the turd cone down in full privies.I do not condone this activity just letting folks know how some deal with full privies...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Well sounds like a "Feces Fork" is needed.I found one at Jerry's Cabin shelter before the privy was relocated last year.BTW a Feces Fork is a potato fork or rake used to remove potatoes from your garden,to which a several foot long piece of pvc pipe has been added for smashing the turd cone down in full privies.I do not condone this activity just letting folks know how some deal with full privies...
    No, THAT won't work here - it'll only make a worse mess for me when I get up there. This type of privy does NOT have a pit dug under the seat - it's a H.D. plastic trash can that sits on a wooden floor. If you try to knock down the cone, you'll only succeed in dumping a load of $h!t on the floor...and the "extra" space that you've made will be used by some @$$hole who doesn't how to use a backpacker's trowel. This privy was designed to be "self-limiting" in terms of its load-capacity: even if it fills up to the seat, the operator can still slide the collector out from under the seat without making a mess...unless some well-intentioned soul tries to "help"! As I said in a previous post - anyone who wants to volunteer to help out with this, just PM me!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Stayed at this shelter on Monday night. The privy is still full and the shelter log is full of people complaining about it for months. Should probably just remove the privy symbol from this shelter in the guide if it's going to stay in this state for years at a time.

Nice shelter, otherwise, and the stream on the trail in was flowing very well.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Any recent updates? Is the privy still "out of order"?
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Images

Yes! PRIVY is still OUT OF SERVICE there are two shovels there to dig a cat hole with, but in protest it appears that folks are just crapping everywhere without the digging part WATCH YOUR STEP. I was there last week and the reason it is locked up tight (the privy) is a lack of wood chips, a note said. Other than the minefields, I had a nice night there alone with a great storm with high winds and lots of lightning in the early evening hours water or lack there of was the only issue in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    Yes! PRIVY is still OUT OF SERVICE there are two shovels there to dig a cat hole with, but in protest it appears that folks are just crapping everywhere without the digging part WATCH YOUR STEP.
    Doesn't speak well for the hiking community. I understand the idea of protest, but most who think they're protesting are either being lazy or childish; definitely not responsible adults.

Yeah, hiking community

Images

I agree, they are lazy, and they are poor trail stewards to boot!

Images

Good news! It looks like the privy will be renovated this spring. BMECC will be replacing the current privy with a moldering setup. Same sort of thing as what's now at William Penn Shelter.

If you wanna help build a ****ter. Check out BMECC's website.

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    Good news! It looks like the privy will be renovated this spring. BMECC will be replacing the current privy with a moldering setup. Same sort of thing as what's now at William Penn Shelter.

If you wanna help build a ****ter. Check out BMECC's website.
    I thought it already was a moldering privy. But maybe it was a poop in a bucket type and the bucket has to be emptied periodically. I helped a maintainer spread composted waste around into the woods when I was there two years ago. I let him deal with the raw sewage.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Yeah, current setup includes a big bin which they refer to as a composting privy. I'm not sure of the exact plan for Eagles Nest, but suspect it will be a lot like the new privy at William Penn Shelter. The William Penn Shelter privy has three chambers. Each chamber is rather large and was built to promote air circulation. Once a chamber is full, the privy will be pushed/pulled into alignment with another chamber. The poo should be rather decomposed by the time you rotate back to the first chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by DrL View Post
    Yeah, current setup includes a big bin which they refer to as a composting privy. I'm not sure of the exact plan for Eagles Nest, but suspect it will be a lot like the new privy at William Penn Shelter. The William Penn Shelter privy has three chambers. Each chamber is rather large and was built to promote air circulation. Once a chamber is full, the privy will be pushed/pulled into alignment with another chamber. The poo should be rather decomposed by the time you rotate back to the first chamber.
    Yea, that would be an improvement. The system I saw was labor intensive and the maintainer was grateful for the help. We got there early and I had some time to kill anyway.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++