WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Swimming on a.t thru

I was just wondering how often there is a chance to jump into some water while hiking the A.T?? I sure do love swimming

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by gratefultrails View Post
    I was just wondering how often there is a chance to jump into some water while hiking the A.T?? I sure do love swimming

Thanks for the info!
    In Maryland there's only one actually on the trail; the Potomac River just North of Harper's Ferry... Sorry that's all the data I've collected so far.

As of now, I am only planning on hiking from Springer to Harpers Ferry. Might go a few hundred miles past Harpers Ferry, well see when I get there. But some swimming info on the lower half of the A.T would be great!!!

There is not much swimming on the trail in the south. You want to go to New England for lots of swimming. Maybe change your plans and do the northern half?

Fontana Lake

Images

If you don't mind a 3.6 mile detour on a blue blaze to reach one then I have a "grateful " swimming hole in mind . This swimming hole is worth a side trip on a hot humid day and is plenty deep toward the middle. In the southern section of SNP,take the Riprap Trail, about 0.4 mile north of the parking area of the same name and descend gradually before reaching the "Gap" where you'll follow the Riprap Trail as it climbs gradually toward Chimney Rocks, a rock outcropping with sweeping views of the valley farmland below. From here it's another two easy descending miles to the swimming hole.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Thanks! ill write that one down. keep em coming if anyone knows more!

The southern AT follows the ridge line, there's just not many swimming places. You can swim at the motel pools
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

You can go wading, and possibly take a mini dip, if the water's high enough, at Laurel Fork Falls on the trail near Elk Park & Roan Mt. Ditto for Dismal Falls in SW VA. Just be careful and use common sense.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am all for it - take some Ivory - it floats...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I am all for it - take some Ivory - it floats...
    Are you suggesting he take a bath in our drinking water?

I waded in the Housatonic when it ran next to the trail. A local told me that wasn't a really smart thing to do.

Journal Entries

there is a public pool in pearisburg, va.--take a shower, take a swim.

Journal Entries
    Images

There are far worse "floaters" in YOUR drinking water....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Two spots leap to mind in Virginia:

1.) Jennings Creek -- The AT crosses the creek on the Va. 614 bridge, and there's a good swimming hole directly downstream of the bridge. It's also a good camping spot, though the road access opens it up as a locals' party spot (which you may consider a good or bad thing). It's a good spot to cool off after coming down (northbound) from Cove Mountain and getting ready to go over Fork Mountain, a true PUD.

2.) James River -- The AT follows the James for about a mile from the mouth of Matts Creek northbound to the impressive James River Foot Bridge. Any place along there can make for a good swimming spot, though be weary of strong currents. A lot of people swim right at the south end of the bridge. People used to jump from the bridge into the river, but the USFS made a rule against it. Naturally, I am sure a lot of people routinely ignore the rule and jump anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    Two spots leap to mind in Virginia:

1.) Jennings Creek -- The AT crosses the creek on the Va. 614 bridge, and there's a good swimming hole directly downstream of the bridge. It's also a good camping spot, though the road access opens it up as a locals' party spot (which you may consider a good or bad thing). It's a good spot to cool off after coming down (northbound) from Cove Mountain and getting ready to go over Fork Mountain, a true PUD.

2.) James River -- The AT follows the James for about a mile from the mouth of Matts Creek northbound to the impressive James River Foot Bridge. Any place along there can make for a good swimming spot, though be weary of strong currents. A lot of people swim right at the south end of the bridge. People used to jump from the bridge into the river, but the USFS made a rule against it. Naturally, I am sure a lot of people routinely ignore the rule and jump anyhow.
    Thanks! Great info

Watauga Lake has a small beach and rope swing nearby. As said before Jennings Creek is a good spot. HoJos in Daleville has a pool. If you venture into PA, Caledonia Park has a pool (I think its $5) and Pine whatever park just past the 1/2 mark has a beach.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I waded in the Housatonic when it ran next to the trail. A local told me that wasn't a really smart thing to do.
    His advice is about 50 years late, I still wouldn't recommend eating fish out of the Housy every night, but it's safe for swimming and wading. My house is on the bank of (and occasionally literally underneath) the Housatonic on one of the hydroelectric dam lakes downstream, nobody worries about swimming in it.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

If you find yourself in NY, There is a beach at Lake Tiorati and a pool at Bear Mountain. I'm not sure if Island Pond is legal to swim in.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Default Swimming on a.t thru

Pine grove. Home of the half gallon challenge has a nice lake with a beach. Boling springs has a community pool and Calidonia park has a pool for campers. All in PA a days walk from each other

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++