WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping outside AMC Huts in The Whites

Your help please.

Which AMC Huts in The Whites allow camping directly outside their location? (if any?)

I am aware of the tent sites and shelters on the AT in this mountain range - I am just after other options. WFS BS is not an option.

Thank you in advance.

None............

Images

right. none. you can make it through by using the pay camp areas. one of the huts and campsite are right next to each other, but can't remember which.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    Your help please.

Which AMC Huts in The Whites allow camping directly outside their location? (if any?)

I am aware of the tent sites and shelters on the AT in this mountain range - I am just after other options. WFS BS is not an option.

Thank you in advance.
    Here is a pamphlet with the actual back country regulations as well as recommended LNT guidelines (as written its easy to confuse the two):

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5363715.pdf

In part because it can be hard to find a good flat spot to pitch a tent in the Whites, many hikers gravitate the tent site/shelter areas.

You are not allowed to camp within 1/4 them or the huts. They used to call the surrounding no-camping zone a "Restricted Use Areas" but now they call the "Forest Protection Areas".

Typically a sign is posted at the 1/4 mile boundary when you reach one of those.

In the summer you can't camp above treeline either (and that is defined as where the trees are 8 feet or less). Because of this restriction, there is really only one stretch of trail where planning your stops a couple days ahead is needed-- if you are going to rule out a stop at the above tree line hut called Lakes of The Clouds.

The reason you need to plan ahead is that you will need to walk a relatively long stretch above treeline in a single day-- since you don't have the desire to break up that stretch with a stop at Lakes. No way around that, unless you are Lone Wolf.

This is not a bad thing at all, for anyone in thru hiker shape. I guarantee everything will work out for you as you approach that section of the trail if you look at you guide books a few days in advance.

One inexpensive place that may still be available if you're doing this to save money (you'd need to research it) -- you might be able to stay in The Dungeon underneath the Lake Of The Clouds hut. There were about six bunkbeds in The Dungeon and the cost to me in Year 2000 was $6.00 per night (I stayed two nights there because of the storm that came on right as I'd arrived).

You might say things rattled a little in The Dungeon all night long with the storm raging outside but it was better than being outside in the storm.

Datto

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    right. none. you can make it through by using the pay camp areas. one of the huts and campsite are right next to each other, but can't remember which.
    Nauman Campsite and Mizpah Hut are the ones right next to each other.

i camped under lonesome lake hut a few times and in the bushes at madison

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i camped under lonesome lake hut a few times and in the bushes at madison
    Under the hut?

Under like underneath the floorboards, or "under" as in down the trail descending the ravine in tucked in the krummholz?

Journal Entries
    Images

If you are hiking NOBO stop at the Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff. The guys that run the hostel are very hiker friendly. They have loads of info. on where you can stelth camp going thru the Whites.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Under the hut?

Under like underneath the floorboards, or "under" as in down the trail descending the ravine in tucked in the krummholz?
    under the main building. it's on pylons

Gentlemen,

Grand job and much appreciated. That's all the info that I require.

****Thread Closed********

++ New Posts ++