WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State police helicopter helps track down man camping on Appalachian Trail - Carlisle

State police helicopter helps track down man camping on Appalachian Trail
    Carlisle Sentinel
    A State Police helicopter was used to help assist police on the ground to locate a homeless man camping on the Appalachian Trail Thursday. It was reported that the helicopter was in the area of the 100 block of Shughart Road in Carlisle shortly after ...

More...

Images

Hmmmmm.....isn't everybody somewhat homeless and camping on the AT?
    I've lived too long to care what others think about me

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I am curious why the presence of a transient on the trail warranted this level of a police response. Does anyone know more about the background of this case? Sounds like there may be more too the story than what the article reported.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I'm sure there is much more to it. There had to be a complaint from someone for them to even be looking for him. The police don't generally hunt down the homeless to make arrests. The article said he was cited, not arrested, for criminal trespass. That would imply that he was given a Notice to appear (Ticket) and released. Sounds like a “ somebody “made a complaint; officers receive pressure from the administration to act on it. Since there are no real charges they cite him for trespass and tell him to haul ass out of their jurisdiction. >>

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I am curious why the presence of a transient on the trail warranted this level of a police response. Does anyone know more about the background of this case? Sounds like there may be more too the story than what the article reported.
    I am pretty sure there is, and will be interesting to find what it is.
    You know they got Al Capone for Tax evasion. You get people for what you can prove, often there crimes are much greater (but harder to prove).
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

What exactly constitutes 'illegal camping' on the AT? Is this saying that if I stealth camp a helicopter is coming looking for me? Dang, should have gotten that camo tarp after all.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    What exactly constitutes 'illegal camping' on the AT? Is this saying that if I stealth camp a helicopter is coming looking for me? Dang, should have gotten that camo tarp after all.
    No worries, MDSection12- I think the authorities are able to determine if someone is a thru hiker, section hiker, day hiker or living on the trail. We have/ have had some people, in my area, that are doing the same thing. It's illegal but no one can prove it so easily or they just don't care enough to go after someone for doing it.
    It creeps people out, including myself, if there are people, on the trail, not using it for it's intended purpose. Having said that, if I found myself homeless, I would so try to live on the trail or in the woods somewhere... just sayin.
    If this were ever the case, for me, I would try my best NOT to creep out people, that would notice me. I would be upfront and just tell them what I was doing out there.... Yes Sir/Ma'am, I have no home, I'm living on the trail- No better place, I'd rather be.

Dang, should have gotten that camo tarp after all.
    Nah they would still find you with thermal imaging, it might help if you wear that aluminum foil hat though.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    No worries, MDSection12- I think the authorities are able to determine if someone is a thru hiker, section hiker, day hiker or living on the trail. We have/ have had some people, in my area, that are doing the same thing. It's illegal but no one can prove it so easily or they just don't care enough to go after someone for doing it.
    It creeps people out, including myself, if there are people, on the trail, not using it for it's intended purpose. Having said that, if I found myself homeless, I would so try to live on the trail or in the woods somewhere... just sayin.
    If this were ever the case, for me, I would try my best NOT to creep out people, that would notice me. I would be upfront and just tell them what I was doing out there.... Yes Sir/Ma'am, I have no home, I'm living on the trail- No better place, I'd rather be.
    I've run into a few of those types. Usually they have a fixed income that is not enough to support them in 'civilization' but is a king's share for the AT. I have no problem with that... But unfortunately those are the types that are often in the news for one reason or another. Not to say that each person in that circumstance is bad, but just that there is some reasoning behind you having that reaction. It's hard not to pass judgement when you feel you are in a situation where intuition and judgement can be so important. As with anything else, if you feel uncomfortable you just hike on.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Googling is a lost art.

First hit below. There is probably more one could find, but why bother.

Seems like PA gets more than its fair share of these reports, doesn't it?

http://m.cumberlink.com/news/local/c...ile_touch=true

Images

"Cramer was taken into custody behind a home in the 800 block of Ridge Avenue, South Middleton Township, at 1 p.m. He was cited for criminal trespass.
    i think he may of been on private property which is close to the AT. i have been fined for camping, but criminal trespass was never a charge on public property.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Mystery solved
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Trail Name: Hannibal.

Contrary to popular belief the AT is not all on public land. It has been "protected" in some spots through easement. For example, the AT goes through mutiple farms, the NPS doesnt own the land, they own the right for a trail to go through the property but the farmer still owns the land underneath. In some of these sections, it is specifically stated in the trail guides that there is no camping along a section even though its part of the AT. So even though someone is camping right in the middle of the trail, if the its on an easement that doesnt include the right to camp, someone could conceivably get busted for camping on the AT.

This is one of the reasons why "protecting the AT" is potentially a never ending project. ATC used to publish a list of unprotected miles of trail in mulitple fundraising campaings as a method of extracting more donations from folks so they they could "meet the goal" of "protecting the AT". You will notice that since that goal was met, that the PR has changed and many of the AT protection campaigns now protect the "viewshed" or protect areas where the trail could be relocated if it was owned. Heck I know of several properties near my place with frontage on the AT for sale.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    "He was cited for criminal trespass.
    i think he may of been on private property which is close to the AT. i have been fined for camping, but criminal trespass was never a charge on public property.
    I don't this man's background, but on some jurisdictions there is a certain class of offender who may be banned from public parks, playgrounds etc.

Perhaps the charge for violating that prohibition would be criminal trespass.

Again, I have no reason to think that is what is going on here. Just saying.

I've run into a few of those types. Usually they have a fixed income that is not enough to support them in 'civilization' but is a king's share for the AT. I have no problem with that... But unfortunately those are the types that are often in the news for one reason or another. Not to say that each person in that circumstance is bad, but just that there is some reasoning behind you having that reaction. It's hard not to pass judgement when you feel you are in a situation where intuition and judgement can be so important. As with anything else, if you feel uncomfortable you just hike on.
    Right, I agree with what you are saying.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    wear that aluminum foil hat though.
    Hat? really, hat? now you tell me...., but i'm glad cause the foil underwear was chaffing
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Hat? really, hat? now you tell me...., but i'm glad cause the foil underwear was chaffing
    That reminds me of the old joke about the priest who went to heaven only to find out that the bible contained a typo and should have said "celebrate" instead of "celibate"
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Sharing is by choice, decided by the owner. If a homeless guy asks what size are your shoes say MY SIZE!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    Nah they would still find you with thermal imaging, it might help if you wear that aluminum foil hat though.
    Actually, someone at work (engineer) told me that it ends up Tyvek is an EXCELLENT IR mask. So lay under that groundcloth...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++