WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Default Davis Path Shelter

The Davis Path Shelter is only a 2.7 miles south of the Groseclose exit off I-81, just north of Atkins. There is a picnic table and a sunny exposure, although the AT runs through the slanted front yard.

I never did recognize Davis Path itself, but at the time I was rushing SOBO trying to catch up with someone who might be able to give me a shuttle back to Roanoke (turns out they were going south).

The Trail passes through a meadow 7 miles north of the shelter (soon after a road crossing) that merits rain pants and gaitors if there is a lot of dew or it's been raining.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I s this shelter still there? I have it on my map, but it does not mention it in my edition of Appalachian Pages, it just says it a campsite.

Twilight

Images

It was torn down a couple of years ago. I think Lone Wolf did most of the work.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by twilight View Post
    I s this shelter still there? I have it on my map, but it does not mention it in my edition of Appalachian Pages, it just says it a campsite.
    Same here. I had planned to hike through there this weekend (but had to postpone a few weeks). Some of my trail materials show/say shelter, other shows/says campsite.

It is now a campsite, no longer a shelter. This is one reason I always contact the local trail club for updates before heading out for a hike.

Happy Hiker Hollow (hostel) is very close. Maybe they tore down the competition?! LOL (Sorry, Rambunny, the devil made me say that!)

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Default Platform

There is a platform there. It looks to be what was once the floor of the shelter, with no walls or roof. I don't think there is water there. Crawfish Valley is just north and a great place to camp.
    CT

privy was still there also - don't know about the water since I just dropped the deuce and hiked on

Thanks for the updates guys. May camp at Crawfish Valley or push on to Davis Campsite nexted week. We'll see.

Twilight

August 2010

No shelter, just a platform you can tent on. Mouldering privy.

No water at this site.

Crawfish Valley was HOT, HUMID and full of Mosquitoes.

++ New Posts ++