Default Maildrops for 2013 thru-hike

I know there's lots of recommendations out there on where to send maildrops, but I'm looking for yours.
    Where are they necessary?
    Where are they convenient?
    Where should I definitely not send them?
    There are some recent post office closings, I hear, so any new information on things like are welcome.

I'll make 2 recommendations, neither of which directly answer your question (so you'll have to judge the value of my response):

1) Yogi's book has the answers
    2) The PCT-L list is going to have a lot of up-to-date chatter (plus a huge amount of worthless junk). http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l

Where you send drops is going to be completely up to you, and frankly, you can make that decision once you are on the trail. Warner Springs is about the only PO that you need to plan in advance, and it's probably a worthwhile food drop, unless you resupply in Julian, then hike through to Idyllwild (see, the possibilities are numerous, all dependent on your hiking style and speed).

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Should note that Yogi just posted an update file to her site today. If you ordered her guide a few months ago like me, you got the October 2011 edition (I think). If you ordered in the past couple of weeks, you got the March 2013 edition, in which a few things have changed (new trail angel options in SoCal, Warner Springs resort closed, post office updates, etc.). Then there were a few minor updates made today. Her website has info for anything that's changed since 2011, but you've got to shell out if you want all the original info.

http://www.pcthandbook.com/links.php

If you do have her book, the table where each one of the 15 hikers lists exactly how they would do it again for every resupply option is helpful to answer your question. Warner Springs and Kennedy Meadows are the only two places that are near-unanimous choices for sending a maildrop. Everywhere else has a mix of answers, most people choosing not to maildrop most of the time.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

For anything involving the PCT on here HYOH means: Hike Yogi's Old Hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    For anything involving the PCT on here HYOH means: Hike Yogi's Old Hike.
    Hah, that actually made me laugh... and very true. We bought Yogi's book first off and then realized everything she says ,while mostly relevant and probably helpful, is simply too much information... my individuality and originality was being stifled slowly throughout reading all the biased opinions and useless info... I'm not saying there's not any good stuff in there, but I chose to toss it and do the research myself, i figured i can learn whether one gas station attendant is nicer than another by myself... sorry this is not really on point just found your post funny and couldn't help mahself. I ended up only doing 5 maildrops, gave each one to a diferent family member half full of organic vegetarian deliciousness and let them fill the rest with whatever they want.
    don't really need to do any but nice to get paintings and letters from nieces and nephews as well as seitan jerky and organic quinoa with pesto sauce!

I hear ya. I'm just trolling around, hope I didn't offend anyone. Only five maildrops, but they sound like the real deal. Better than I eat at home.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by letmebefreee View Post
    Hah, that actually made me laugh... and very true. We bought Yogi's book first off and then realized everything she says ,while mostly relevant and probably helpful, is simply too much information... my individuality and originality was being stifled slowly throughout reading all the biased opinions and useless info... I'm not saying there's not any good stuff in there, but I chose to toss it and do the research myself, i figured i can learn whether one gas station attendant is nicer than another by myself...
    At first I was like, "Why's he hating on the Yogi guide?", but I know exactly what you mean ... it's full of great information, but do you need it? I started hiking the AT with nothing but a glance at Baltimore Jack's resupply guide and having pretty much never opened the AWOL book that I bought. I'd never seen a picture of McAfee Knob, I first heard of Max Patch the day before I climbed it, etc., etc. Now in planning for the PCT I can't help myself. I've seen every free documentary on YouTube or Vimeo, I've read Yogi's planning book cover to cover and can pretty much quote it, I've got a maildrop plan spreadsheet through Drakesbad, I'm on WhiteBlaze multiple times a day ... what the hell am I doing? Trying to start my hike early, vicariously, I guess. I'm sure I'll love this hike as much as I loved the AT, but at least for the beginning, I'm pretty over-prepared.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Trying to start my hike early, vicariously, I guess.

Ain't that the truth. And Yogi's book is a great resource. Very helpful, very informative. But it's not everything.

++ New Posts ++