WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

There is at least one every year for any service on the trail. Ron has been helping so many people for about 10 years (as I recall) that there is always bound to be one popping up. Ron has been trying to get Robbinsville to be a more friendly trail town for a couple of years now, and except for the customary places like The Hike Inn and Fontana Village, he has met some resistance from the community who seem to have frankly no use for hikers.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Maybe it's just me, but I would never take a ride, a meal, a room, etc. without a) knowing the cost b) offering something in return, even if it's only a few bucks. The guy has to make a living.

Wow, this thread is enlightening to say the least. It's clear to see the clash between "Trail Angel's" kind deeds and ones that are offering services for part/most of their lively hood. Then, you throw in hikers that expect everyone to be TA's because of who they are or the way they think/learned it "should be". This proves to be an interesting mix of interactions and expectations.

First off, I will say that hikers should expect NOTHING. I'm not a thru hiker, myself, but if I was, I would expect NOTHING free from anyone. None of the hikers should expect any SPECIAL treatment/deals.

Having said that, I can see where people could take advantage of hikers b/c they don't have their own transportation, while hiking the trail. Also, carrying "good food" on your back, for a long time, leaves something to be desired. There's a lot to be said about comfy lodging, laundry facilities & a hot shower. Hikers shouldn't be "taken advantage of" for these services, either. Thru hikers might need to pay a lil more, though, for the level of "clean up"that might be required after their stay. It all depends...

Hummm...... interesting!!

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do."
    Ben Franklin

Thanks Ron for all you have done for hikers over the years, it's too bad you have not been appreciated as perhaps you should have been!
    I've utilized your services in the past, one time when I was injured and I was more than thankful that the van showed up. The small cost of the
    shuttle was more than worth it - priceless to be able to 'bail' when injured with no hassle, just a very short wait.
    I'm in your corner, your family comes first. They are what matter more than anything
    ad astra per aspera

The OP was malicious, to say the least. Wether due to a lack of maturity, experiance or intelligence, the poster was unable to conduct simple busness transactions and when given the oppurtunity to refuse of back away from those transactions he failed to speak up for himself. Rather than evaluate and analyze his weakness and learn from it, he chose to take his grudge to the internet and lash out at those who exposed his lack of maturity. It would have been exposed only to hmself and perhaps a few friends. Thanks to his foolish post he has exposed his lack of manliness to the world. Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Another way of considering the cost is to consider the cost of a taxi, which in my city is $3.50+ per mile. Now how is that $50, 30 mile shuttle looking?
    In Providence, the meter ticks off $2 when the trip starts. Then it is $0.25 every 1/10 mile ($2.50 per mile). A 3 mile trip is $9.50. That $50, 30 mile shuttle ride will set you back $77 if you took a taxi. Expect it to go up as fuel costs increase. The days of cheap gasoline are over. Learn to live with it and pony up.

(BTW, the bus costs $2.50 a ride & $0.50 for a transfer.)
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 04-06-2013 at 16:53.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

This is not rocket surgery, folks.

Two quick points to add to what is sure to be a contentious thread:

1. Whatever happened to the Golden Rule? Don't hikers know gas is expensive now, as well as the wear and tear inherent in owning, insuring, and operating a vehicle? Not to mention the time these kind people spend shuttling strangers to and fro. Do hikers consider the time of the people offering the service, as well as the material cost? Same goes for hostels, motels, and hotels. Why is it considered unreasonable for hikers to behave themselves, have good manners, and do unto others as they would have others do unto them? If you're hiking you should consider yourself on vacation. Nobody owes you anything. You're not entitled to anything for free, and if by God's good graces you do get to partake of some good trail magic and hiker feeds you should be grateful. But don't just be grateful yourself, express gratefulness and thanks to those who have helped you.

2. If you're considering patronizing a given service, you should know what the fee is up front. If you don't, it's your fault, not the fault of the people you're patronizing. The onus is on you to know where you are staying, how much it costs, and what is offered.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

That's too bad Ron, that a few bad apples can ruin it for everyone. Although, I suspect it's more like a bushel or two, eh?

Back in my caretaker days I found 98% of those who passed by just came and went, not leaving an impression one way or the other. About 1% were a real PITA to deal with and wished they'd go away as quickly as possible. Then there was that 1% which made the whole thing worth doing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

OP joined 24 Mar 2013. Had 4 (four!) posts. And we are responding?!? Especially knowing Mr. Haven?

Mr. Haven, if you are still reading, you were great in Mar 2012. Learned a LOT from you - got some GREAT advice. You knew my hometown in Texas. Sorry it came to this. Hope you can find time to relax a bit now. I'll miss you in 2016.

Take care - God bless - thank you for what you've done.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I never realized that the market economy stops along the AT. Personally I would never expect anything from anyone at any time without offering compensation for the service and I would never get into a transaction without knowing in advance what the cost will be. This is pretty basic consumer behavior. Isn't long distance backpacking about self sufficiency? How is it being self sufficient to rely on getting free or heavily discounted stuff just for being a hiker? Call me confused.

Images

Another one in Ron's corner. Sorry it came to this Ron, but your are surely right when it comes to family first. Thanks for all the yrs you have put into helping others, even the ones who didn't even say thanks. I know myself and family were treated right and enjoyed our stay in Franklin.

Images

Ron,

The hiker in me says "Sorry to hear you are cutting back. Your excellent services will be missed by the hiking community." The normal citizen in me says "Good for you, good for your family."

If there has gotten to be more ungrateful hikers out there (or a high enough percentage) to sour you on your mission of service, then you should cut it back to a more manageable commitment. Thank you for all the years you made our hikes better.

I only stayed in Franklin once, at the Budget Inn. We got our own ride into town, arrived about 9PM. This was in mid May, outside of your normal shuttle times. We were not expecting a ride back to the trail, but in the morning, you fired up the bus and gave about 8 hikers a lift. It was very much appreciated. You also told us, if we ever needed assistance, no matter where we were along the trail, and couldn't find anyone to assist, give you a call, and you would employ your MANY contacts all along the trail to help us out. This was such a generous and impressive offer. Never forgot it.

Again, thank you for all your years of dedication to hikers. You certainly would not remember me, but I certainly DO remember you!
    Last edited by Lyle; 04-06-2013 at 19:38.

Thumbs up And the winner is...

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    This thread is shameful. Does the OP really believe that Ron Haven intentionally mislead him? Give me a break. Ron has been helping hikers and providing excellent services to hikers for years. ...
    In recognition of his years of hard work and loyal service to the hiking community, Ron Haven is hereby awarded the following:

Good Guy Award.jpg

You will be missed Ron, but not forgotten!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    In recognition of his years of hard work and loyal service to the hiking community, Ron Haven is hereby awarded the following:

Good Guy Award.jpg

You will be missed Ron, but not forgotten!

Anyone who disagrees with the above-mentioned award for Ron is hereby awarded the following certificate:

pain_in_the_butt_award.jpg

Feel free to print it out and fill in your name.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 04-08-2013 at 10:56.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Monster View Post
    Look negative people,....
    Well aren't you just a shining light of positivity!
    .... Dishonesty seems to be part of 'southern hospitality' here. ....
    ...We were intentionally misled....
    You posted some serious accusations there, Sparky. Got anything to back it up?
    Also to correct Ron Havens misinformation he is giving in Franklin.
    So you contacted Ron first before posting, right? Right?!
    Not helpful to be rude people.
    Damn! I bought a brand new shiny irony meter and you just smoked it.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

Ron has never been anything but kind, generous, and one of the best all-around folks to spend a few hours with that I've ever met.

I hope your family's wanderings will lead you to Montana one of these summers, Ron. I'd be pleased to return even a tenth of the kindness y'all have shown me!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

While I have never had a chance to stay at any of Ron's places I also keep his phone # and address to his hotels handy so when I am traveling thru his area because I know that is where I want to stay if I get a chance. I have never met the man but from everything I have read about him and his replies on the forum I believe that if he did give out bad info it was only because that is what he was told. A big thanks to Ron for all his support of the hikers over the years.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

Images

Boogie Monster, I am a 2014 prospect Thru hiker and thanks to your rush judgment I wont be able to meet and enjoy Ron's presence. Would you please pick me up where run used to help hikers? I will pay you more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    there should not be ANY hiker rates for anything. charge em' full price just like any tourist
    Couldn't agree more. The idea that long distance hikers and now in my case, long distance cyclists, are entitled to discounts and special perks is pathetic. If someone wishes to lower their price for a motel room, that's fine but it should not be expected. In my last hike through New England I found that paying the regular rate and tipping appropriately resulted in everybody being happy, me for the services I received and the provider for being appreciated. I also found that communications helped avoid misunderstandings.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++