WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Images

I have decided to keep doing my shuttles and trying to help as many hikers as I can. I have added on my web site that it is going to be for my guests only. I want hikers to stay where they want to but I am not going to let them in my vehicles period if they are not my guest. I hate to have to be this way but when I work an average of 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for 10 weeks, my fuse is getting a little shorter than it use to be. my site is http://ronhavenhikerservices.com

I actually am considering opening a nice hostel and a small supply store for next year. It will also include about 15 rooms besides the bunk house. I am going to put laundry facilities, Internet, sell cold beer on site and other plans.. I already have the property.

I was hoping you would reconsider for your own guests. That seemed like a win-win to me. But, I knew whatever you decided to do it would be well thought out.

Signed, Big Ron Haven Fan
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post
    I have decided to keep doing my shuttles and trying to help as many hikers as I can. I have added on my web site that it is going to be for my guests only. I want hikers to stay where they want to but I am not going to let them in my vehicles period if they are not my guest. I hate to have to be this way but when I work an average of 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for 10 weeks, my fuse is getting a little shorter than it use to be. my site is http://ronhavenhikerservices.com

I actually am considering opening a nice hostel and a small supply store for next year. It will also include about 15 rooms besides the bunk house. I am going to put laundry facilities, Internet, sell cold beer on site and other plans.. I already have the property.
    Sounds very reasonable on your part. Thanks for all you do for hikers, many of whom don't seem to appreciate the hard work and extra effort.

Ron you have a big heart!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Haven View Post

Ron, you hotel magnate! Pretty soon you'll be registered with 'Starwood'....I can trade my week in the Caribbean for a few hostel nites along the Appalachian

Images

Ron Haven is a good man. One of the best.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Hopefully I will have a chance to stay at one of Ron's places one day.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

El Sordo
    Images

Ron, is the Forest service still charging you $300/yr to pick up hikers for free?
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    Ron, is the Forest service still charging you $300/yr to pick up hikers for free?
    Is that the permit fee? I emailed them a couple months ago asking them how much it was, but I guess between lunch and a couple 3 hour breaks every day they were too busy to get back to me.

Images

Yes Gene, that is what my permit cost. I am very proud of all the hiker friends I have made thru the years everyone. I just got home from shuttling a hiker right now and it is almost 1am. I have a meeting at 7:30am also. Guess I better hit the bed.

Images

Ron, God bless you for everything you've done for hikers(including me!) through the years.

- Duffy
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I wasnt planning on staying anywhere other than on the trail, but given the generosity of this man....I have to meet him. Next year, on my section hike of that area - I am booking a stay. For no other reason than to support someone who obviously supports everyone else.

Ron, you are a living example of generous to a fault. Your family are the ones who are most appreciative of all you do. Make sure you spend your time with them.

Ron provides some darn good entertainment at the Hiker Fool Festival as well. Most attendees enjoyed the opportunity to meet new friends

balt_jack_dog.jpg
    Last edited by Train Wreck; 05-11-2013 at 22:33.

The website sounds fair enough. He shouldn't shuttle people for free who aren't staying at the listed hotels. And some hikers do take advantage of hotel owners by getting a room for one person, then sneaking in 3 or 4 and other stuff. $39 bucks plus 5 bucks extra a person is a very good deal in my opinion.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++