WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

I'm a hiker ON TRAIL now (started 3/10 @ approach trail). Trail name is NorthStar.

I know of two hikers who have quit and I have been seeing the same 30-40 people pretty regularly. Sure, March was a PITA but I don't think a lot of people are quitting because of it.

Images

I just got back from my Spring section hike an hour ago, Damscus to Erwin

Between the really rough weather in the smokies this year, last weeks rain-sleet storm and this super-nasty virus going around, no wonder that many are dropping out, this is NOT what they signed up for.

Like 80%+ of the "thru hikers" I met going SOBO have had this virus!

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    This was not a good year to start early. We tried telling them that but would they listen - no. I want to get ahead of the crowds they say. I want to make sure I have enough time to finish, they explain. Well, I guess in a way it worked out for them, but not as they expected!
    I'm probably about the 493rd person to say this, but "ANY year is a bad year to start early".

Start later.

Start lighter.

Hike faster, farther, in better weather, in a better frame of mind,

Spend less time (and money) waiting out bad weather,

And maybe, just maybe, you'll finish (but there are absolutely NO guarantees.

Section hiking is tough enough (you never get in good shape - though thruhikers tell me it never stops hurting). Have fun!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

It's nice everyone on here is soooooo supportive and non- judgemental. I thought it was supposed be hike your own hike, so if people want to quit, for what ever reason, that's their business.

Sorry just venting on this one

What virus, stomach or respiratory?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post

Between the really rough weather in the smokies this year, last weeks rain-sleet storm and this super-nasty virus going around, no wonder that many are dropping out, this is NOT what they signed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by robertblake60 View Post
    I'm a hiker ON TRAIL now (started 3/10 @ approach trail). Trail name is NorthStar.

I know of two hikers who have quit and I have been seeing the same 30-40 people pretty regularly. Sure, March was a PITA but I don't think a lot of people are quitting because of it.

Good to hear you are still out there. Laugh. Dance in the rain. Blow cold smoke rings. After a long ascent there''s often a great view at the top and a descent will shortly follow. Have some food. Enjoy some warmth. Laugh MORE. ADAPT. Be FLEXIBLE. FIND WAYS YO ENJOY EACH MOMENT.LIFE BEGINS AT THE END OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    It's nice everyone on here is soooooo supportive and non- judgemental. I thought it was supposed be hike your own hike, so if people want to quit, for what ever reason, that's their business.
    correct. this is the internet. don't get butthurt when jerks like me make comments about your stupid reasons for not walkin'. leave you ithingys at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    correct. this is the internet. don't get butthurt when jerks like me make comments about your stupid reasons for not walkin'. leave you ithingys at home
    LW... you actually called yourself a jerk. What are we supposed to do with that? I do get hurt by typed words from people I've never met on the internet. It sounds a lil crazy but it really happens. Sometimes, I don't know what to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by alxflwrs View Post
    Geeze, c/o 2013 is making me nervous. Caught up on a few trail journals today and to my sad surprise many that I followed have given up. Getting somewhat discouraged--some say they spent too much time before hand preparing physically and not mentally.

=/
    I highly recommend reading Zach Davis' book ... Appalachian Trials http://appalachiantrials.com/ and blog http://blog.appalachiantrials.com/ and Zach's blog http://zrdavis.com/

THIS from my own blog: Sometimes I think it's not in my best interest to read Trail Journals when they accurately describe the White Mountains and Mahoosuc Notch and such [Like this VIDEO] ... I can look at the map profiles and shudder ... and reading about the days and days and days of rain and cold and wind ... and 18 inches of snow in August or September in Maine ... and who had to get off the Trail due to this injury or that illness ... and biting flies ...and Lyme Disease ... Oh, it was 'fun' to see the 'real' Maine Climbs ... rebars and ladders and all. But worrisome that I won't be able to carry heavy enough winter gear should it get freezing cold or should we have an early winter ...

Making it all the way is my goal ... but just hiking 'today' has to become my focus. In the past, I've lost my focus by concentrating on the goal. But THIS time, I'm setting my goal to be focusing on 'today's' hike ... and letting the miles pass while doing so.

Focus on "today" and the miles will fade away. And if you find a Trail Journal that starts freaking you out about how miserable/wet/scary/cold that person's hike was ... FIND ANOTHER because there are many more who will describe an AWESOME hike ... spectacular views/sunny days/happy encounters.

And if ALL else fails ... do what Datto has always done ... TAKE A NAP. And when you wake up, hike on.

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

There's really no great skill in being a jerk; though for some, I do believe it comes naturally.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    There's really no great skill in being a jerk; though for some, I do believe it comes naturally.
    Actually, there IS skill in being a jerk, but only when the other person doesn't realize at first that you are being one. Some of us have to work long and hard to be one. We are deeply jealous of you who have the innate ability.

And then there is:

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”

Winston Churchill
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q:1459414

There was a very bad virus going around like this on my SOBO thru last summer and yes it did take out 80% of the crown going both ways. And it was localized in a much more difficult section of trail.
    I woke up sick as a dog on the north end of mahoosic notch as well as the rest of my group. The ones that were not sick that day were very sick the next day.

I had kinda a hurdle to get over towards the middle of the trail. But, to get through it. There is a connection to nature and the trail that is coming that surpasses it all. A deep connection that amount of time in the woods gives you.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And then sits in peace with or without our presence. me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    you will find that many, not all, that quit for physical reasons actually quit for mental reasons. I saw many hikers that quit with ailments that many that finished just dealt with.
    I can agree with that. I also don't think theres any advice for mental preparation. Someone either has it within them or they don't.

Images

I'm just a section hiker. This year my section was to be the last 380 miles NOBO. I started at Franconia Notch (the Whites are not a good section to start in). I only made it 60 miles and the last 15+ were done on a fractured tibia and torn meniscus. Injuries can happen anywhere along the trail.
    Seek, and you shall find.

Quote Originally Posted by -SEEKER- View Post
    I'm just a section hiker. This year my section was to be the last 380 miles NOBO. I started at Franconia Notch (the Whites are not a good section to start in). I only made it 60 miles and the last 15+ were done on a fractured tibia and torn meniscus. Injuries can happen anywhere along the trail.
    Sorry to hear that. As you quickly found out northern New England is not the best place to finish a section-hike. With only a couple exceptions, at least you're through most of the restricted camping area and can take it as slow as you choose (without having to pay each night). Heal well and best of luck. Hiking in Maine is some of the best of the best.

I think the attrition rate is fairly static throughout the years, but I think more and more hikers are blogging their experiences, so it seems as though the rate is higher than it actually is. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/abou...il/2000-milers If you look at the numbers, roughly half of the population makes it halfway (HF, WV), and roughly half of that number finish in ME (about the same for SOBO, just a smaller starting population). I went SOBO last year, so I was following as many trail journals as possible before I left...I wanted to get an idea of what stressors I would be facing before I left. The same thing happened while I was reading these, many of them quit before I started hiking. Also, I think some kept going, but lost interest in maintaining their journals (this happened to me as well...blogging became a chore and I think I quit writing somewhere around CT). I can easily rattle off a good 10-20 names of people I met that didn't make it. If the completion rate were 100%, there would be no real reason to work at it...if it's that easy, what's the point? It's called an ENDURance hike for a reason. Also, many people left the trail for real world reasons...family issues, job opportunities, and financial stuff. The real world doesn't stop turning while we're out there hiking. Weather patterns, illness, and injury will always be present. I remember puking/crapping for 16hours straight when I got the Gorham Plague last year...I also remember post-holing through 3ft snowdrifts coming out of Pearisburg after Sandy. At the end of the day, some people will resolve to keep going, and some people will opt out.

I arrived just in time for the winter storm, had days the only person I saw was a guy hiking with me, a fraction of the people I saw last year...it was bad nasty out there.

Number in Glencliff are much higher than last year. There is a significant sized bubble in The Whites right now. Miss Janet and other shuttle providers have been very busy. Looks like the numbers are up from recent years with the cooperation of the weather for the most part, atleast according to about 30 Thru's and some of the hostel managers we spoke with.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++