WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's like this every year, it's SAD it really is, you even meet people that starts at AFSP just to turn around .5 mile up trail and go home. but like i tell people if you can make it to Damascus you can go all the way.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

If your in semi-decent shape you should be able to complete the AT in five months. If you can manage that then starting early April then you should be done end of August/early September. Those who take longer do so for various reasons, but there is no need to start in February or early March. If you want to avoid the crowds then go SOBO...problem solved.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by alxflwrs View Post
    Geeze, c/o 2013 is making me nervous. Caught up on a few trail journals today and to my sad surprise many that I followed have given up. Getting somewhat discouraged--some say they spent too much time before hand preparing physically and not mentally.

=/
    Why are you nervous? Because a handful of people on the internet are going home? People get out and realize it isnt what they thoughht. Lots of partying and folks calling themselves hikers, leaving their crap strewn all over the trail, using shelters as trash cans..... With the popularity of the trail growing every year, there will never be low numbers for NOBO's. If these hikers think GA and NC/TN are challenging mentally, then they really were never in the GAME in the first place. You should have seen the early birds in 2009. They had 4 feet of snow on the ridges in the Smokies. Most postholing the entire GSMNP. Its all part of it and the internet does not indicate what is really happeneing on the trail.

[QUOTE=moytoy;1455497]"Spring where are you?"
    a quote from someone who is still on the trail[/QUOTE

I just finished reading Chin Music's entries from the last several days. IMO he's a role model for the physical and mental aspects of both preparing for the hike and doing the hike. It all comes down to clear thinking and common sense.

I have few observations to add. First, there seemed to be many more early starters this year than previously so it only makes sense that we see more early starters dropping out. But by the same reasoning there are probably more making it. Second, it is now April and I have not had to help anyone off the trail this year. Usually by this time I have had to help more than one off so at least at this point I have not run across any miserably unprepared folks yet but that doesn't mean they are not out there. Third, I have not seen the large amount of trash and TP Blooms that I normally see this time of year. Maybe the earlier starters are spending more time off the trail due to the nastier weather. Or maybe the trail maintainers are working overtime or just maybe this year's group gets it when it comes to cleaning up after themselves.

Anyway, all looks pretty good this year from mile marker 17.5 at Grassy Gap. Heading out in the next 10 minutes to enjoy a beautiful spring day on the AT and other local foot paths.

WAHOOOOOOO!!! Glad to hear it!! We start walking on April 15th and can not wait!!! In seeing the posts above, we have certainly prepared mentally. As we understand it, the trail does have it's physical parts but most of this journey is mental. We are prepared with our gear and food and journals. This will be a life changing journey and we a excited to be the new people we will be when we are finished. Thanx for the good news JT!!! :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    If you're in semi-decent shape you should be able to complete the AT in five months. If you can manage that then starting early April then you should be done end of August/early September. Those who take longer do so for various reasons, but there is no need to start in February or early March. If you want to avoid the crowds then go SOBO...problem solved.
    Everything you said is absolutely true.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Everything you said is absolutely true.
    I concur. Also reading as many trail journals beforehand will open your eyes to the reality of the trail.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Good weed them out. I started early in a decent snow year and it was great. The folks in my bubble after the smokies were a good crew and almost all made it. The snow cleaned out the wussies and frat boys in a hurry.

"the fewer survive the greater the share of honour"

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    It's like this every year, it's SAD it really is, you even meet people that starts at AFSP just to turn around .5 mile up trail and go home. but like i tell people if you can make it to Damascus you can go all the way.
    My day one hike from Amicola I met a duo taking a day two zero 6 miles in. It snowed that night, and I bet they never even saw a white blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoMama View Post
    WAHOOOOOOO!!! Glad to hear it!! We start walking on April 15th and can not wait!!! In seeing the posts above, we have certainly prepared mentally. As we understand it, the trail does have it's physical parts but most of this journey is mental. We are prepared with our gear and food and journals. This will be a life changing journey and we a excited to be the new people we will be when we are finished. Thanx for the good news JT!!! :0)
    The catch 22 is that nothing can really prepare you mentally or physically except by being on the trail. Unless you've already done a reasonably long hike, there is no other experiance which comes close. I'll be heading out a few days after you, so I might bump into you between Springer and Damascus.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Using the, "I quit because I wasn't prepared" excuse IS LAME. NO ONE CAN prepare for ALL contingencies on a hike, and for a long distance hike, fug etta about it! YET, DESPITE THAT FACT, HIKERS STILL FIND WAYS TO COMPLETE THEIR HIKING GOALS!

Same with other endeavors in life! If you quit the goal of thru-hiking it's my illusion that you are generally a quitter at a whole more than hiking! If you have a quitter mentality don't get mad at me, get mad at yourself! Use that as leverage to re-condition yourself to a more empowering WINNER MENTALITY! Not too late to change your path!

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success in common hours.

Images

I was at a bar once and met this guy with a ZZ top beard. He was telling of tales of the AT, and I thought....darn it, I'm going to buy me a 7 pound pack and pack it with the kitchen sink and take me a walk. In cotton jeans............5 lbs boots......and one of those camp showers. Yep thats what I'm going to do.

You folks tend to be so harsh and take this stuff so seriously. Hiking is a hobby. It's something we do for pleasure. We don't get paid to walk through the woods and camp. Not only is there no reward for climbing Katahdin, almost no one really cares that you did.

Those who consistently see things through to completion often have to take those things so seriously in order to achieve them. That's how once thought of as impossible things often become the typical things in life. What we do for pleasure or as hobby connects to what we do for a living and the rest of our lives. There may be no Starbucks Latte or Shiny Trophy or pretty pin or patch or pay raise awaiting us atop Mt K but there CERTAINLY are rewards but most of them are internal rewards. If all you care about is being noticed by others with your achievements is that a sufficient enough motivation for having those achievements? Can one even consistently attain various goals if the only known reward is just being noticed by others?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You folks tend to be so harsh and take this stuff so seriously. Hiking is a hobby. It's something we do for pleasure. We don't get paid to walk through the woods and camp. Not only is there no reward for climbing Katahdin, almost no one really cares that you did.

Those who consistently see things through to completion often have to take those things so seriously in order to achieve them. That's how once thought of as impossible things often become the typical things in life. What we do for pleasure or as hobby connects to what we do for a living and the rest of our lives. There may be no Starbucks Latte or Shiny Trophy or pretty pin or patch or pay raise awaiting us atop Mt K but there CERTAINLY are rewards but most of them are internal rewards. If all you care about is being noticed by others with your achievements is that a sufficient enough motivation for having those achievements? Can one even consistently attain various goals if the only known reward is just being noticed by others?
    Please I was being sarcastic, previous posted a scenario about meeting someone in a bar who hiked the AT and now wants to do the same. I too agree, this is not a helpful group sometimes. Shoot you down before you even get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    I was at a bar once and met this guy with a ZZ top beard. He was telling of tales of the AT, and I thought....darn it, I'm going to buy me a 7 pound pack and pack it with the kitchen sink and take me a walk. In cotton jeans............5 lbs boots......and one of those camp showers. Yep thats what I'm going to do.
    You probably aren't the first to have this thought. And, you probably will not be the first to do it either IF you do it.

Hey, no problema. This Yankee wants no problem while on the Sheltowee Trace. Besides, I lived in FL for many yrs.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

When I did my AT thru, I was fortunate enough to have hiked Vermont's Long Trail the year before.

These 18 days on the LT prepared me for a thru-hike far more than any online forum or gear discussions.

The tuition may be high in the school of experience, but it is a great education.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hey, no problema. This Yankee wants no problem while on the Sheltowee Trace. Besides, I lived in FL for many yrs.
    I live close to a section of the ST, good choice. Heck I don't care where your from, we are all here for the same reason.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just look forward to my thru-hike next yr. I really enjoy chatting with hikers at the shelter's and on the trail. I just think that makes life more fun,relaxing, and enjoyable...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++