WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Insoles?

Really! Really! Have I been screwing up? Should I be removing the stock insoles?? Somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris10 View Post
    Just a year or two shy of 50, I totally understand replacing the insoles for medical reasons/injury prevention, but what about teens, and say those in their 20's. would they still need insoles for comfort, or are the manufactor's fine?
    I would go farther and go barefoot to teach proper foot strike and build up the foot's supporting muscles. Gradually of course. Minimalist shoes can help.

Starting from an uninjured foot with no other issues, I want to make it strong by using its muscles. I don't want to immobilize it in a shoe with rigid supports that take the place of muscles.

I've used factory insoles, Super Feet, and various SOLE inserts. I am 27 and I retrained my feet to work with no support over the past year and a half. My feet are stronger and everything about my hiking (and running) form is drastically improved. It still remains a work in progress of course.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Quote Originally Posted by Meriadoc View Post
    I've used factory insoles, Super Feet, and various SOLE inserts. I am 27 and I retrained my feet to work with no support over the past year and a half. My feet are stronger and everything about my hiking (and running) form is drastically improved. It still remains a work in progress of course.
    I think I'm going to work on a plan like that. I used green Superfeet while hiking the Arizona Trail in Inov-8 Roclite 330s. Never again! I had blisters the entire time because the insoles lifted my feet too much and made them rub in strange places, and it's not clear whether the support made any difference. I wore my last pair of 330s on the first half of the Colorado Trail and used the factory insoles with no foot problems at all.

There's no rule. Based on reviews and comments, most people using aftermarket insoles seem to remove the stock insoles. Other buyers just add their preferred insole and don't remove the stock insole.

One effect of having two insoles is that it will elevate your heel higher than one insole, which is not as healthy, but it may not be a problem for you. Each body is unique. (I personally prefer little to no drop between the heel and the rest of the foot, because it makes my knees and back happier. YMMV.)

Most shoes seem to fit best with only one insole, though there is pretty much infinite variety when you combine the thickness of different insoles and the fit of different shoes.

I hope you find this helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusinsusan View Post
    Really! Really! Have I been screwing up? Should I be removing the stock insoles?? Somebody?
    Please see my previous comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusinsusan View Post
    Now I would not purport to know what feels good on the underside of her highness's feet's, but I haven't worn stock insoles since about nineteen hundred & eighty four.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++