WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    It would be funny if the "Walk in the Woods" movie came out at the same time as "Wild".

Free gear left behind for taking on both trails.
    Might have to schedule a vacation down at Springer for after the movie comes out to go 'gear shopping.'
    KBO, Ducky

Journal Entries
    Images

I am sure people do that... otherwise it would accumulate.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I did not care for this book. He's the kind of writer who looks down his nose at his subjects. For example, he talks about all the crime on the AT in one chapter, and in another seems to criticize NPS rangers for being armed.

Images

If this movie does in fact come out, with Redford involved it will be a quality film. I do think that the popularity of the AT will blossom even more that it does now PLUS Reese in WILD will enhance the hobby we all love.

Maybe it will get more people off their couches and into fitness and the outdoors, not such a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    If this movie does in fact come out, with Redford involved it will be a quality film. I do think that the popularity of the AT will blossom even more that it does now PLUS Reese in WILD will enhance the hobby we all love.

Maybe it will get more people off their couches and into fitness and the outdoors, not such a bad thing.
    I wounder if they plan to make the movie on location, but probably in Hollywood using a Stair Stepper. And i really didn't care for the Book either.

Images

When I first got the book I was seeking all info on the AT, kind of pissed me off................then I re-read it after some experience on the trail and thought that parts of it were pretty hilarious. Bryson is a good writer.

Before I read Bryson's book (about 15 years ago) I had never been backpacking and I knew nothing about the AT. Since then I have spend many nights in the woods and have section hiked over 500 miles of the AT. I not only enjoyed the book but I owe Bryson a debt of gratitude for introducing me to a wonderful world I knew nothing about. I'm sure the movie will do the same for many others.

Images

Just reading up to the part where they make the approch trail would make a great movie. Katz dumping most of his pack on the way up is a hoot. People just don't have an idea of what it is like to hit the hills without ever having hiked before. It's the shock value.
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

The first few chapters were hilarious, even if the jokes came at the expense of a few individuals who may or may not actually exist. After a while he drifted into a lot snobby generalizations about groups of people and some politically motivated tirades that were irrelevant to the AT.

Overall, it was an entertaining book, but I wish he would have stuck to comical interactions with other people or events on the trail. Of course, it helps to actually stay on the trail if you're going to do that.

I'd watch the movie if they ever produce it, but I won't pay much or go to a lot of effort to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spogatz View Post
    Just reading up to the part where they make the approch trail would make a great movie. Katz dumping most of his pack on the way up is a hoot. People just don't have an idea of what it is like to hit the hills without ever having hiked before. It's the shock value.
    That's my favorite part too. He definitely left a trace. Really it's a book on how not to hike the AT.

Images

Richard Russo is my favorite author. Also Redford and Nolte are first rate actors. I hope it isn't too extreme in terms of preachiness.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Ain't gonna get made. It's in "pre-production," with two "cast members" - Nolte and Redford - and a few other "maybes" on the production side. "Pre-production" basically means, "We're shopping this to the studios and groveling for money." No one's seen a greenlight yet. Doubt they will.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Good. The book, and any movie based on it, will only be another barrier to more people hiking.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Good. The book, and any movie based on it, will only be another barrier to more people hiking.
    Not sure how you figure that..... It might just be coincidence, but thru hiker numbers started to rise after the book was published in 2008...

i like the book ! It is way more entertaining than most journal style memoirs & is actually a more realistic result for most people who set out to thru hike. Anyone who says it is not a true representation of the AT must have hiked a different AT to the one I did ! Sure, he does exaggerate a little and focus on the more ridiculous/ entertaining aspects of trail life & people, but he is a comedy travel writer, that's what he does.

Who will they cast as the "Big Mistake" Mary Ellen?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    Who will they cast as the "Big Mistake" Mary Ellen?
    Rosie ODonnell, Roseanne Barr, or some other large woman with a built in annoying voice and personality.

I thought the book was entertaining for the first part, and the last part, due to Brysons style.
    I cant see a movie doing the same thing.

Neither Redford or Nolte are funny guys either.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-20-2014 at 08:12.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Rosie ODonnell, Roseanne Barr, or some other large woman with a built in annoying voice and personality.

I thought the book was entertaining for the first part, and the last part, due to Brysons style.
    I cant see a movie doing the same thing.

Neither Redford or Nolte are funny guys either.
    Redford can be the Bryson character ok , the straight man. beside his obviously being too old, it's not a bad choice. Katz is the comedian of the story, and Nolte hasn't been mildly funny since 48 hours. and he's 70 yrs old as well. the Big Mistake , factoring in similar ages would be best done by Kathy Bates. my casting would have been zach Galifinakis as Bryson Vince Vaughn as Katz and Jennifer Lawrence(or Rebel Wilson) as The Big Mistake (complaining lady).
    I'm glad it's getting made either way . it'll be better than that awful Cheryl Strayed crap Reese Witherspoon is going to throw on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Read the book. Didnt really like it.. but will definitely watch the movie. I like AWOL's book better. Something about the books about the outdoors / mountains written by writers / journalist doesn't sit well. Not authentic.. just my simple review.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

It's an ironical book.

All of Bryson's books are ironical. Read his books about Australia, or the 1950's, or science. He is a master of seeking out the ironical and putting it on parade. If you understand irony as humor, it's hilarious.

Unfortunately, only a fraction of the American public understand irony as humor.

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Redford claiming to be an environmentalist, is setting himself, and his legacy up for a PR catastrophe. His last act was to all but destroy America's foot path. For the sake of the AT I hope the movie is a bust. I do not want anything to be a catalyst, that increases the volume of hikers on the AT.
    Last edited by Son Driven; 01-21-2014 at 18:46.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++