WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Bryson can write, it's just that those here are too close to the topic. Listening to Walk and his other books in the car, I've been laughing so hard that it was dangerous driving.
    Agree………..

It's been a long time since I read the book, but I don't recall a Civil War scene in it. They are filming this Thursday near Atlanta...

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2...rs-in-georgia/
    BirdShooter
    n2backpacking.com

Quote Originally Posted by BirdShooter View Post
    It's been a long time since I read the book, but I don't recall a Civil War scene in it. They are filming this Thursday near Atlanta...
    I'm gonna guess it's a fantasy scene involving one of Bryson's anti-redneck tirades. Or maybe it's background for the Shelton brothers headstones near Flint Mtn. Shelter.

[QUOTE=Offshore;1872515] a tedious celebration of ineptitude.
    That is a perfect description of the book. I suspect this movie will have the same effect on hiking the AT as A River Runs Through It had on fly fishing. Not good.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

[QUOTE=Ghost;1874410]
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    a tedious celebration of ineptitude.
    That is a perfect description of the book. I suspect this movie will have the same effect on hiking the AT as A River Runs Through It had on fly fishing. Not good.
    Anything that gets people outdoors and on foot is fine with me. The beauty of backpacking is that the trail is self selecting and doesn't conform to anyone's romantic notions. Let the masses show up if they want, after a couple if days of walking in the rain the yahoos will retreat home to tell everyone how savage the trail is and the ones who fall in love with the trail will likely become passionate hikers and supporters of the A.T. Sounds win-win to me.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;1874413]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Anything that gets people outdoors and on foot is fine with me. The beauty of backpacking is that the trail is self selecting and doesn't conform to anyone's romantic notions. Let the masses show up if they want, after a couple if days of walking in the rain the yahoos will retreat home to tell everyone how savage the trail is and the ones who fall in love with the trail will likely become passionate hikers and supporters of the A.T. Sounds win-win to me.
    So true, so true. Most people I talk to think roughing it is a Motel 6 without cable. Poop in the woods? Are you kidding? But I love it.
    Lead me to the long green tunnel.

We have a section hike planned 5/22-5/24 from Amicola to Neels Gap. This has been planned for a long time--does anyone know if they are filming there during this time?? Seatbelt

[QUOTE=Sarcasm the elf;1874413]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Probably good for gear sales also, which based upon the increased the volume, could also eventually have a positive impact on the existing hikers.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Just remember folks...

Backpackers who follow white rectangles for 6 mos without knowing how to read map, walk on a well defined trail that can be as much as five miles from a road and have ample guidebooks, logistic support and services are obviously outdoor experts. :P

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I found a free online version of the book here. Very entertaining and informative, Mr Bryson obviously did his homework. I'm about a 1/4 of the way through the book.

Images

Saw this on Facebook today, posted by someone else from Bryson's own page:

Emma Thompson Off For A Walk In The Woods
    With Nick Offerman and Kristen Schaal
    05 May 2014 | Written by James White | Source: Variety

After years of trying to push the idea through the thickets of the development forest, Robert Redford is finally close to turning Bill Bryson’s comic memoir A Walk In The Woods into a film. Emma Thompson, Kristen Schaal and Nick Offerman have now signed on to co-star.
    Redford, who had at one point considered picking up the megaphone himself, is instead letting Ken Kwapis handle the directorial chores, with Michael Arndt providing the adaptation. The actor will star in the film alongside Nick Nolte, with the story following their haphazard attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. The book is entirely hilarious, making this film a likely change from Redford's recent, more serious adventures in All Is Lost.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Default Redford comments on his movie

In the first paragraph of this article about a new clean energy policy, Redford comments on his new movie...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/opinion/redford-curb-coal-emissions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Quote Originally Posted by BirdShooter View Post

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2...rs-in-georgia/

Default Perfect Quote

"Backpackers who follow white rectangles for 6 mos without knowing how to read map, walk on a well defined trail that can be as much as five miles from a road and have ample guidebooks, logistic support and services are obviously outdoor experts. :P"

Perfect, Mags. A keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by yushan View Post
    In the first paragraph of this article about a new clean energy policy, Redford comments on his new movie...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/02/opinion/redford-curb-coal-emissions/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
    Ah... More political than about the movie (Note: I am not taking a side...)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++