WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Suggestions on how to carry travel guitar with me?

Hey guys,

So I am about to leave apr 15 for my 2013 NOBO thru hike. One thing I still need to do is figure out how to carry my travel guitar with me. I have a washburn rover acoustic travel guitar, and I have an opsrey exos 58 pack. I really have no clue on how I am going to carry it with me. The guitar came with a nice carry along bag, but it is rather large and seems like it is too heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to attach it to my bag with a lightweight method? I realize that a homemade way might not be the most durable, especially if I fall, it seems like my guitar would get destroyed. So, does anyone think I should just use the travel case that came with it?

Bungie cords - or better yet, leave it home...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Check out Patman at Trailspace and leave him a message. Here's a fotog of him on Hangover Mt with his gitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I tend to agree. In fact I agree wholeheartedly. Man made noise---whether bongo drums or guitars or tubas or screaming motorcycles or chainsaws or howling clarinets or the gentle wooden recorder don't belong in the woods, LNT and all. Part of LNT is to keep QUIET.

Dude, carry the strings if you can. The kind of people who don't want to hear the beautiful sound of a guitar are also the people who aren't going to stay at shelters anyway because they can't stand you getting more attention than themselves and/or they hate people in general.

P.S. LNT doesn't have anything to do with keeping quiet.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Leave at home. Or carry it and send it home in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by magic_game03 View Post
    LNT doesn't have anything to do with keeping quiet.
    It sure does.

http://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

"Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises."

A small travel guitar is probably nearly inaudible 50 ft away. Don't let the naysayers scare you off.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSection12 View Post
    It sure does.

http://lnt.org/learn/7-principles

"Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises."
    So no one should talk, sing, or ooh and aah in excitement? LNT is a nonsense concept in any event. Utterly impossible.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Lots of haters will jump on this thread, but either way I wouldn't over think it. Odds are you'll decide to send it home after a few weeks. Playing the guitar won't sound so appealing at the end of a long day.

Dude, carry the strings if you can. The kind of people who don't want to hear the beautiful sound of a guitar are also the people who aren't going to stay at shelters anyway because they can't stand you getting more attention than themselves and/or they hate people in general.

P.S. LNT doesn't have anything to do with keeping quiet.
    See MDSection12's post. It's not hating people in general but hating their bonobo howlings.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    So no one should talk, sing, or ooh and aah in excitement? LNT is a nonsense concept in any event. Utterly impossible.
    I've come across more than a few camp groups making so much noise, I can hear them 1/4 mile away. It can be very annoying. Then there is the bonding rituals which can be really loud too. They forget they are not the only ones out in the woods...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Playing an instrument around other people that you aren't sure enjoy it is not far removed from making calls on your cell phone and gabbing away around others.

Some people won't mind - most people will be annoyed. If you don't do it, no one will be annoyed.... so be a good citizen please...

Journal Entries

Consider:

1) how tired you will be
    2) how wet everything will be sometimes
    3) how little time is spent besides walking, eating, and sleeping
    4) how important weight will become to you

how scary is this thought. Ya pull into a shelter with 20 people camped in and around it but everybody is mute. You try to ask somebody where the water source is and they whisper back to you like somebody died, "it's over there," then they walk off.

First, LNT guide lines advise against LOUD noises not sweet melody . After some of the experiences I've had at busy shelters an electric guitar with a 200W amp couldn't have been heard over the chaos, much less an acoustic.

Second, If your going to choose a silent void you should avoid the AT. Kinda like saying there should be easy parking in Time Square. It is, after all, the most famous and heavily used LD trail in the WORLD! Expect the same for the shelters and camping. By the way, if you want a quiet spot there are plenty to be had just don't think your going to pull up to a shelter and throw down your 2nd grade, quite-time vibe and expect others to follow along. I'm not trying to say this is great, I'm just pointing out the reality that exist on the AT. And since most weekend hikers don't log into WB or the LNT site before they go camping you're just going to have to deal with reality.

Third, hey Tipi. What's your fascination with bonobos? And how can you hate a bonobo howlings but like bonobos? I feel like your saying you like turtles but you hate their shells.

It's something that everyone going into the woods should strive for, in my opinion. It's not always possible to follow it to a 'T' but I don't think that means we throw it out the window.

Put it this way; if everyone followed LNT to a 'T' the areas we love to enjoy would be better preserved for our children's children and so on. That is a fact. Now how close to 'to a T' you think you need to be is open for debate, but there is no doubt in my mind that any true outdoorsman should at least aspire to get as close as they can.[

QUOTE=magic_game03;1451641]how scary is this thought. Ya pull into a shelter with 20 people camped in and around it but everybody is mute. You try to ask somebody where the water source is and they whisper back to you like somebody died, "it's over there," then they walk off.

First, LNT guide lines advise against LOUD noises not sweet melody . After some of the experiences I've had at busy shelters an electric guitar with a 200W amp couldn't have been heard over the chaos, much less an acoustic.

Second, If your going to choose a silent void you should avoid the AT. Kinda like saying there should be easy parking in Time Square. It is, after all, the most famous and heavily used LD trail in the WORLD! Expect the same for the shelters and camping. By the way, if you want a quiet spot there are plenty to be had just don't think your going to pull up to a shelter and throw down your 2nd grade, quite-time vibe and expect others to follow along. I'm not trying to say this is great, I'm just pointing out the reality that exist on the AT. And since most weekend hikers don't log into WB or the LNT site before they go camping you're just going to have to deal with reality.

Third, hey Tipi. What's your fascination with bonobos? And how can you hate a bonobo howlings but like bonobos? I feel like your saying you like turtles but you hate their shells.[/QUOTE]

First off, pulling up to a shelter with 20 people in it is a scary thought to begin with.

Second, I never said the guy shouldn't take an acoustic. I simply responded to your incorrect statement. I don't think he should take his guitar, but more because I don't think he'll use it as much as he thinks he will... There are certainly ways to respectfully make use of a guitar on a thru... I just wouldn't see the hassle being worth the rewards.

I've often though that when I finally get to do my thru (please be 2014, please be 2014) I will be ecstatic when the day comes that some weekender has a guitar at the shelter I can noodle on a bit. I look forward to taking a few months off from guitar and getting to remind myself how much I enjoy it when the opportunity arises out of nowhere. That's one of those 'small dreams' I have for the AT.

Wow, that's a mess... Sorry.

It's something that everyone going into the woods should strive for, in my opinion. It's not always possible to follow it to a 'T' but I don't think that means we throw it out the window.

Put it this way; if everyone followed LNT to a 'T' the areas we love to enjoy would be better preserved for our children's children and so on. That is a fact. Now how close to 'to a T' you think you need to be is open for debate, but there is no doubt in my mind that any true outdoorsman should at least aspire to get as close as they can.

how scary is this thought. Ya pull into a shelter with 20 people camped in and around it but everybody is mute. You try to ask somebody where the water source is and they whisper back to you like somebody died, "it's over there," then they walk off.

Third, hey Tipi. What's your fascination with bonobos? And how can you hate a bonobo howlings but like bonobos? I feel like your saying you like turtles but you hate their shells.
    First off, pulling up to a shelter with 20 people in it is a scary thought to begin with.

Second, I never said the guy shouldn't take an acoustic. I simply responded to your incorrect statement. I don't think he should take his guitar, but more because I don't think he'll use it as much as he thinks he will... There are certainly ways to respectfully make use of a guitar on a thru... I just wouldn't see the hassle being worth the rewards.

I've often though that when I finally get to do my thru (please be 2014, please be 2014) I will be ecstatic when the day comes that some weekender has a guitar at the shelter I can noodle on a bit. I look forward to taking a few months off from guitar and getting to remind myself how much I enjoy it when the opportunity arises out of nowhere. That's one of those 'small dreams' I have for the AT.

humm, how much do I want to debate LNT

First, LNT was around long before some group of organizers decided they could get some government funding by creating a consortium (LNT.org), so just because they say they have 7 principles of LNT doesn't make it so.

Second, if I yell in the woods do I leave a trace? Can you come by that spot days later and find my trace? Cause if you can then I know some snorers out there that are going to have some trouble.

Third, I agree that noise can be an issue. In fact, leave your stinkin strings at home dude, I'd rather mope around the shelter and talk about how many miles I did today anyway. Hey is that, that new titanium...

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I agree with both parts--but particularly the second part. (But, hey HYOH and go for it--if it is really that important to you).

The chances of both you--and the guitar--making it all the way to Katahdin are pretty slim. A guitar causes you to carry quite a bit of bulk and weight--for an item which serves no practical purpose--and which the "elements" could damage.

Some people will carry a heavier sleeping bag--but at least that extra weight can keep them warm. Others may carry a heavy first aid kit--but at least that can perhaps be helpful if they get sick or injured. Extra ounces or pounds of food can help you keep up your body weight and energy. A guitar is just extra weight and bulk for purely aesthetic or luxury reasons. (Plus, unlike the sleeping bag, the extra food, or the heavier first aid kit--a guitar does not pack well or travel well).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    I agree with both parts--but particularly the second part. (But, hey HYOH and go for it--if it is really that important to you).

The chances of both you--and the guitar--making it all the way to Katahdin are pretty slim. A guitar causes you to carry quite a bit of bulk and weight--for an item which serves no practical purpose...
    Another lover of people... hey dude, cary your guitar but you suck and you're not going to make it to Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    A guitar is just extra weight and bulk for purely aesthetic or luxury reasons...
    Isn't life purely aesthetic for luxury reasons? When you go to church prain4u do you wear your garden grubs or do you put on a nicer set of clothes? Really, does god care if you are dressed up? No. It's purely aesthetic. And when you eat, do you ever put on ketchup, mustard, or mayo? that's all for the pure luxury of taste, it's not necessary. And didn't moses walk around the desert for like 40 years, bet he didn't have a nice pair of hiking boots...so again, luxury. Don't think I need to go on.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++