WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First time hiking the AT questions

I plan on making a 3 day hike starting on Springer Mountain. I am in reasonably good shape (I run at least once or twice a week) and am no stranger to long walks. What is a good stopping point for my third day? I plan on having someone drop me off and than pick me up at the end of my hike, but I need a good location so my wife isn't driving all over GA trying to find me

If you're fit but not a regular backpacker or mountain climber, 10-12 miles a day should be comfortable. 15 would probably be the upper limit of what might be enjoyable, but this really varies a lot from person to person. You could do 10 miles a day and stop at Walasi-Yi at Neels Gap, continue a little farther at 12 miles a day to GA 348, or really push it for 50.5 miles to Unicoi Gap at 16.5 a day. I would not recommend that. The highlight of this hike will be Blood Mountain, which is before Neels Gap anyway. I don't think you'd be missing much with a shorter hike - my advice would be to take it easy and enjoy your first time out.

You should be able to make Neels gap in 2 nights, 3 days - its only 30 some miles. Would be a convenient place to finish. To go much farther, you'd want a few more days.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on doing this 3 day hike and a longer 5-7 day stretch later if I enjoy the first.

Images

The best places to be picked up are Neel Gap or Amacalola Falls State Park, because either one of you has a nice indoor place to stay while waiting. AFSP is also a good drop off place because its off the highway, and you can enjoy a great buffet breakfast with fantastic views before starting out. Springer is a long drive on a winding, bumpy FS road. Your wife will hate it, besides you have to backtrack nearly a mile to get to Springer.
    AFSP to Neel Gap is 38 miles, 13 miles per day. Doable. If you want to shorten it, you could be dropped off at Woody Gap and hike SOBO to AFSP. 28 miles 9.3 miles per day.

Images

Doesn't Springer include a 7 mile approach trail?

Journal Entries

Default First time hiking the AT questions

It depends. If he starts at AFSP then he will need to do the approach trail to reach Springer. But, you can drive to a parking lot that is off of a forest service road that is less then a mile from Springer.
    RIAP

Images

I would start at AFSP not Springer and go to Neels is 13mpd is not too much. Logistics are easier and the approach trail is worth doing. Might look at doing it SoBo especially if it in the spring you would meet or smell a whole lot of wannabe thru hikers.

I would agree with Neels Gap. If you really want to enjoy your hike, learn from my mistakes. Pack weight is the true difference to enjoying your hike. Check out some of the gear lists on Whiteblaze. My first hike I filled my pack with "just in cases." I probably hauled around 60 pounds over some easy terrain in VA. I kept thinking, "I thought VA was supposed to be easy. People do huge mile days here." It was very difficult because of all my pack weight. I truly believe that every ounce counts. Have a great trip. The trails are very well maintained through there.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I don't plan on over packing. If I pack too much stuff it will probably be food I have been using the AT Distance Calculator (http://widgo.com/trail/#) and I purchased the Data Book. I think I'll probably start at AFSP but it depends on what my brother and our wives think. They will be the ones dropping and picking us up so they have a say in the drive. I appreciate the advice. I'm really glad that I found this forum. It makes the planning easier and a lot more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticwrite View Post
    I don't plan on over packing. If I pack too much stuff it will probably be food I have been using the AT Distance Calculator (http://widgo.com/trail/#) and I purchased the Data Book. I think I'll probably start at AFSP but it depends on what my brother and our wives think. They will be the ones dropping and picking us up so they have a say in the drive. I appreciate the advice. I'm really glad that I found this forum. It makes the planning easier and a lot more fun!
    Nobody plans to over pack, but seems we all wind up with stuff we don't need. Along the approach to Springer and the descent into Neel's, the wods are full of stuff that people literally chuck along the way. That being said, I would suggest starting at AFSP and keep your end open. You start with the grunt up to Springer, but you have several options when you get to Neel's. You can take out there, or continue on to Tesnatee Gap or Unicoi as long as your support is open to last minute changes. Also suggest Helen as support housing while the boys are out in the woods. Enjoy the view from Blood. it is really one of my favorite spots.

Journal Entries

Amicalola to Neels is a 2.5 day hike for many good shape, lightweight hikers

But it is also a 5 day hike for many (poor shape, heavy packs)

Be sure of where you fall on that continuum.

If you have no experience, and a pack over 30 lbs, and dont do cardio several days per week, plan on longer time or a shorter trip.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-02-2013 at 23:01.

++ New Posts ++