WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

No, I found that one. The thread I was looking for was about the same incident, but Lone Wolf made the assertion that there was not, and never had been a cabin on White top. I did some quick Google searches and came back with some dates about the road and the resort hotel complex that had indeed been on White top. I was hoping to get some of that information again.
    If you can come up with that thread, perhaps you should start a White blaze search service. Just have the search button link to you.

Some posts are deleted. If there is an argument and it gets out of hand or off topic, the moderators exercise there right to remove the post. I am doing another search to include LW. If I do not find it, I would suggest that the post was deleted.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I do not see it on web. It was likely deleted. I do not want to judge, but had I known you were looking to find a disagreement between you and another Whiteblaze patron, I likely would not have spent this amount of time on the search. Just saying. To quote 2 of my friends, "Peace out" and "it is all good".

Images

I don't believe so. It wasn't a contentious exchange. Plus others who had lived in the area all their life had thanked me because they were never aware of that history. Forest service had removed most of the buildings in the late 70's

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I don't believe so. It wasn't a contentious exchange. Plus others who had lived in the area all their life had thanked me because they were never aware of that history. Forest service had removed most of the buildings in the late 70's
    Okay... given the context that you gave me, those are the only 3 results I can find. You saw all 3 correct? I did what I could.

You can always go to LWs profile, find his posts, and read all of them. If its not there it was deleted.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You can always go to LWs profile, find his posts, and read all of them. If its not there it was deleted.
    That would take a minute or two...

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER:1449478
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    The search box at the top right of the page
    If you want to look for a specific topic or sentence then you need to put it in quotes.
    This will give you the results for those threads with these words in the thread topic or anywhere else it is mentioned in any part of a thread.

If you want to narrow it down to search just titles of threads or the entire posts
    You will need to click on the "Advanced Search" under the search block.
    Then click on the tab "Search Single Content Type".
    Now type you search topic in quotes in the "Keyword(s)" block.
    Then to the right of the keyword block there is a dropdown for you to chose between "Search Entire Posts" or "Search Titles Only".

Then slick Search Now

PS; the search words have to be longer then three characters long.

I hope this helps
    This doesn't work. Let's say I'm a newbie and I want to see if cheese keeps on the trail. I try your first option, "does cheese keep" in quotes in the search box. My first five results are Hikerboys Cyber Cafe, How Much Money Should I Have, Gluten Free Hiking, AT Museum ~ Update, and Soylent - Anyone Tried This? "Gee," I think, "That is completely useless and does not answer my question."

So I try your next option. "Does cheese keep" in quotes in Keywords, under Single Content Type, under Posts. My first five results are Hikerboys Cyber Cafe, How Much Money Should I Have, Gluten Free Hiking, AT Museum ~ Update, and Soylent - Anyone Tried This? "Gee," I think, "That is completely useless and does not answer my question. Not only that, but I had to dig into some completely non-intuitive branch of the advanced search function to get these completely useless answers. I think I will start a thread asking if cheese keeps, since it's apparently never been discussed on the site before." And then I start that thread, and I immediately have 20 old-timers laughing me down and telling me that cheese has been discussed hundreds of times on the site before. How was I to know?
    So now that we have properly beaten the horse until dead, how long will cheese last on the trail if stored on the porch of the cabin on or not on Whitetop mountain which Lyle and Lonewolf amicably disagreed about in some ungoogleable thread at sometime maybe before Al Gore did or didn't invent the internet?
    Last edited by Rasty; 03-26-2013 at 15:08.

LOL. I know the feeling Lyle. I used to feel the WB search features were useless until I found out it wasn't so much the WB hardware, software, search feature, WB search engine, etc it was primarily the user, ME. Once I became more familiar with the WB search feature and the various options I got better results. I learned how to narrow my searches by making more targeted. Instead of getting impatient, frustrated, and annoyed with WB or it's search feature I chose to change me and my search approaches. For example, I now take a moment considering better more targeted key words before doing a key word search. It's why librarians and research assistants are so important, perhaps more important than ever, with the overload of information available through computers and the internet. These people save us time finding info faster because they often know exactly what we want, even when we don't exactly know what we want, and know where and how to access this info. That's why all librarians are now required to take classes in mind reading. Also, even though computers have gotten so much faster in getting us what we want, it's not like everything is instantly available. This I NEED INSTANT GRATIFICATION thing is over rated and has the potential for making us so impatient and annoyed and angry when something takes just a little bit longer than we think it should take.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    So now that we have properly beaten the horse until dead, how long will cheese last on the trail if stored on the porch of the cabin on or not on Whitetop mountain which Lyle and Lonewolf amicably disagreed about in some ungoogleable thread at sometime maybe before Al Gore did or didn't invent the internet?
    Forty two.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER:1449554
    Forty two.
    It's not eleven?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I've had no problem with the Search feature and used it successfully many times.

Granted, I never search the entire WB database, but only the forum I'm interested in which is often a guess. Depends on the subject. For example, if I want info on non-AT trails, I'll search within "Other Trails" which means I miss threads posted in the "General" forum.
    Try Searching a term like "Snow Camping" and see what comes up.
    Actually for this particular example, I'd just go to Tipi Walter's posts, LOL

It just depends on what you're looking for.

Journal Entries
    Images

I am looking into this issue right now. Please give me a little time to research this and see what I can do to resolve the problems.

Thank you
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    No, I found that one. The thread I was looking for was about the same incident, but Lone Wolf made the assertion that there was not, and never had been a cabin on White top. I did some quick Google searches and came back with some dates about the road and the resort hotel complex that had indeed been on White top. I was hoping to get some of that information again.
    If you can come up with that thread, perhaps you should start a White blaze search service. Just have the search button link to you.
    Another possibility-
    If you know you participated in the discussion, you can go back through your posts. Obviously, with over 3,000 posts, having some idea of when this exchange happened would be very helpful.

Journal Entries
    Images

The search works, it is just VERY SLOW. So it will not return any results immediately or even time-out depending on your connection. I have used it many times and it works, but usually doesn't until right when I think it's done nothing at all.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SOLcreature View Post
    The search works, it is just VERY SLOW. So it will not return any results immediately or even time-out depending on your connection. I have used it many times and it works, but usually doesn't until right when I think it's done nothing at all.
    When I do a search it usually does not take longer than 15 seconds or so. Could you give me an example of the search that you are typing that is taking so long?
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I found that when you add a second search term, even in quotes (ie "big agnes") it only adds things it found in the search, not limits them. Here on white blaze, you need to use big+agnes to limit the search to find less when you add more search terms. That plus (+) sign is the difference from other search engines...

Quote Originally Posted by TT2 View Post
    I found that when you add a second search term, even in quotes (ie "big agnes") it only adds things it found in the search, not limits them. Here on white blaze, you need to use big+agnes to limit the search to find less when you add more search terms. That plus (+) sign is the difference from other search engines...
    AH-HA! When I finally de-cloaked and posted here, I tried to search for "bear canisters" with and without quotes, and there were NO thread titles for a few search pages (admittedly, I gave up after a few), and so posted a question asking why I couldn't find any threads about them, and wound up being called a troll. Not ATTroll, mind you. (Admittedly again, I had a snarkly sig at the time, which I'm guessing a newbie isn't allowed to do here).

Now I see I need the "+" sign.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++