WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

RangerZ,

I contacted [email protected] and requested a listing. There is a FAQ tab on their home page that provides a lot of information for hikers.

As for my med re-supplies, I'm waiting on AWOL's 2014 trail guide before I finalize. Tentatively looking at a resupply every 25 days or so for my pump supplies, with a bounce box to supplement. With the insulin pens as a backup I could stretch it out for quite a while, especially if my insulin requirements drop as much as I'm anticipating. The hikers I've discussed this with claim to have reduced their insulin by half while hiking. Just on my short section hikes I believe I'll stabilize around that mark as well. We'll see.

Watching the weather. Currently planning to start on 16 FEB. Follow me at http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14338

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I want to start a thread about the logistics of thru hiking with diabetes. I'm looking for some wisdom about maildrops, etc - I think nutrition is being well covered in other threads.

I am thinking about / starting to plan a 2015 (or later) thru hike.

My thoughts run like this, the insulin pens set the resupply interval. I go thru a fast acting pen in about 16 days and a long acting pen in about 11 days. The common denominator of those two numbers is about 32 days (2 fast acting pens and 3 long acting), with a factor of safety say a resupply after 24 days.

I get 25 test strips in a vial, but 100 would fit, at 4 per day that's 25 days.

The plastic containers that I use for sharps last me about 27 days, one to contain new needles and lancets, and another for used.

Alcohol pads are easy.

For planning purposes use map man's section hiking rates to template out where you might be every 24 days or so and plan a drop box at an appropriate place - avoid the PO that may be closed, etc - use Baltimore Jack's resupply information.

Yes, you could carry twice as much and resupply half as often. Yes, you might test more often, test strips are light, carry more. Yes, you might use less insulin, be flexible and extend the resupply interval.

The drop box would have insulin pens, alcohol pads, needles and Lancets (in a sharps container) - and other stuff, like food.

BD Diabetes Products has sharps disposal guidelines by state - http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.a...=7002&id=10284 . In general, opaque, hard shelled, labeled and taped - every state is a little different.

Am I overthinking this or what? What has worked for people?

I started this thread over a year ago and some things have changed. I've been well controlled (A1c ~ 5.2) and graduated from fast acting to Victoza. Decreased from five injections a day to just two, Victoza and Levemir.

My suggested resupply interval remains at 24 days, carrying 3 pens of each.

I've also started reusing pen needles for two days, four injections; and lancets for two days, eight tests. And stopped using alcohol pads. Heresy, I know, but it's working for me. YMMV, HYOH.

I usually test every hour when I'm out dayhiking.

I'm not doctor and I don't play one on TV or the internet, but it's my professional engineer opinion (which has no merit in this case either) that Victoza works.

My virtual NOBO AT hike (assigning local miles to the AT) has me at 1598 miles (just into Vermont) in 17 months. I have a 13.3 mile route that's become my typical weekend dayhike. Yesterday I did 14.8 miles exploring a new addition to the route. It's nice coming back to RangerZ's Squirrel Hill hostel every night. Since it looks like 2017 may be the year, at this rate I might be able to finish a virtual SOBO also. Still waiting for GoogleEarth to get StreetView for the AT.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Can't believe that you even still take insulin as a type 2 with such an awesome A1C. I am Type 1 with a not so good A1C which of course I will get in better check before trying something add bold as the AT. I was wondering what the pros and cons are of insulin pens vs. Insulin pump. Any contacts, resources, or information will help immensely. Thanks in advance ď

Journal Entries
    Images

OK, I’m bumping this thread again. 2018 is the year for me, 10 or 11 April onSpringer.On 3 January I’m taking careof my pesky work problem; I’m calling it a career at 35 years.
    >>
    I’ve taken a relook at my diabetic resupply plan. I’m still planning a 24 day resupplyinterval.Start with a load at Springer,then five resupplies – Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs, 4 Pines Hostel inCatawba, Carlisle during a conjugal visit, Dalton PO, and Pinkham NotchVisitors Center.These are all on(close) to the trail, I don’t want to go far off the trail to resupply.I recognize the problem with the Dalton PO,what’s a close alternative location?
    >>
    I’m still well controlled, my last A1c was 5.0. I will admit to getting complacent - I don’ttest four times every day, I reuse needles for two days, four injections, and Ichange lancets only weekly.It works forme, YMMV, HYOH.I don’t do special testsduring hikes.
    >>
    I’ve put together a sample resupply box using a US PO smallflat rate box, about the size of a big paperback book. Six pens, a small (3” tall, 2” diameter) pillbottle, 17 needles, 5 lancets, two vials of test strips (100 count), 33 smallziplocks with AM pills, 33 small ziplocks with PM pills.Needles and lancets get packed into the pillbottle for mailing, then go into a snack size ziplock.The pill bottle becomes a sharps container,pre marked, with a small super glue vial and duct tape to seal it when full.A quart size ziplock to put everything in aftertaking it out of the mailing box.
    >>
    My wife will mail them when I’m about a week or so from theresupply point.
    >>
    I keep my active pens and needle in my “don’t lose it in thetent bag” (the mesh bag my SnowPeak pot came in) along with the glucometer andlancer. In hot weather I use a Friocase.I sleep with the pens, glucometer,phone, external battery, filter, fuel, etc when its freezing, the sleeping baggets crowded.
    >>
    >>
    I’m still looking for any wisdom from anybody who hasactually dealt with all of this on the trail.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

RangerZ congrats on "taking care of that pesky work problem" and good luck on your thru. I'm still pushing north albeit as a section-hiker. I'm heading out of Pearisburg in a few weeks. With luck we may cross paths somewhere during the journey. Happy Trails!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Options View Post
    RangerZ congrats on "taking care of that pesky work problem" and good luck on your thru. I'm still pushing north albeit as a section-hiker. I'm heading out of Pearisburg in a few weeks. With luck we may cross paths somewhere during the journey. Happy Trails!!

Options,

Thanks for the good words. Retirement is: no alarm clock at 5 AM, no riding buses, no deadlines (except 9 April on the Approach Trail), no employees, 27 barges break loose and jam up at a lock and dam - not my problem!

Can you provide some specific info on how you are handling logistics? I remember that you use a pump but pens sometime. Per my above post I've worked out resupply points. How are you handling disposal of pens, needles, test strips, etc? What has worked for me at home and traveling is small pill containers (hard sided and opaque) marked, glued and taped shut. PM me if you want to stay private on some of this.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    OK, I’m bumping this thread again. 2018 is the year for me, 10 or 11 April onSpringer.On 3 January I’m taking careof my pesky work problem; I’m calling it a career at 35 years.
    >I’ve taken a relook at my diabetic resupply plan. I’m still planning a 24 day resupplyinterval.Start with a load at Springer,then five resupplies – Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs, 4 Pines Hostel inCatawba, Carlisle during a conjugal visit, Dalton PO, and Pinkham NotchVisitors Center.These are all on(close) to the trail, I don’t want to go far off the trail to resupply.I recognize the problem with the Dalton PO,what’s a close alternative location?
    >I’m still well controlled, my last A1c was 5.0. I will admit to getting complacent - I don’ttest four times every day, I reuse needles for two days, four injections, and Ichange lancets only weekly.It works forme, YMMV, HYOH.I don’t do special testsduring hikes.
    >I’ve put together a sample resupply box using a US PO smallflat rate box, about the size of a big paperback book. Six pens, a small (3” tall, 2” diameter) pillbottle, 17 needles, 5 lancets, two vials of test strips (100 count), 33 smallziplocks with AM pills, 33 small ziplocks with PM pills.Needles and lancets get packed into the pillbottle for mailing, then go into a snack size ziplock.The pill bottle becomes a sharps container,pre marked, with a small super glue vial and duct tape to seal it when full.A quart size ziplock to put everything in aftertaking it out of the mailing box.
    >My wife will mail them when I’m about a week or so from theresupply point.
    >I keep my active pens and needle in my “don’t lose it in thetent bag” (the mesh bag my SnowPeak pot came in) along with the glucometer andlancer. In hot weather I use a Friocase.I sleep with the pens, glucometer,phone, external battery, filter, fuel, etc when its freezing, the sleeping baggets crowded.
    >>I’m still looking for any wisdom from anybody who hasactually dealt with all of this on the trail.

Bumping this thread once again.
    > > I started the approach trail on 9 April and left the AT on 3 July in MD with a knee problem (I know, so stereotypical).
    > My diabetic resupply plan worked largely as I wanted.
    > I had diabetic resupply boxes sent to Laughing Heart Lodge in Hot Springs and 4 Pines Hostel in Catawba; the next one would have been to Boiling Springs.
    > I had two problems.
    > First, the plan assumed that I would leave Springer with 3 pens each of Victoza and Levemir. The reality was that when I started I only had 2 each on hand due to the mail order pharmacy resupply interval. This necessitated a call to the mail order pharmacy and a request to advance the mailing date. So, a normal resupply box to the Quarter Way Inn included pens also, enough to get me to Harpers Ferry (I actually ran a little short of Victoza the night before I got to Harpers Ferry); a normal resupply box at Harpers Ferry included a pen each to get me to Boiling Springs.
    > The second problem involved test strips. When I was still working I put my daily use test strips in a small ziplock bag to avoid the bulk of the little black vial.I started the trail the same way and test strips started failing before Hot Springs. The reason had to be too much exposure to theenvironment – heat, humidity and moisture. After Hot Springs I kept them in the vials and didn’t have any problems; the vials have an inner lining which I assume keeps them ‘fresh’.
    > The other part of the resupply – needles, lancets, pills, etc – went off as described without a hitch. The only difference was that I put all the daily pills into one small ziplock instead of having AM and PM ziplocks. I didn’t consistently test four times a day so I had left over test strips. Used pen needles, lancets and test strips went into the pill bottle which was glued, taped and disposed of when full; I discretely disposed of empty pens.
    > I slept with my glucometer, lancer and test strips. Morning testing was one of my ‘still in the sleeping bag chores’ (along with checking the weather, mail and news when I had a signal). I kept the pens in my Frio case, in the sleeping bag when it was cold (27* on Tray Mtn on 16 April) and just in the tent after it warmed up. When it got hot in VA I soaked the Frio case and kept it snuggled up against my water reservoir in my pack.
    > I ate indiscriminately while on the trail, typical hiker food – Knorrs rice sides, mac and cheese, tortillas, Snickers, nutty bars, cheese burgers and onion rings at the SNP waysides, etc. In mid May and June, I looked at my three day morning fasting averages, both times they had dropped into the 80s. I reduced the Levemir and they increased back into the 90s. I did not change the Victoza injections or stop the Metformin. I did send this info to my doctor and he concurred.>
    >
    I lost 39 pounds from Springer to Harpers Ferry; believe me, I had it to lose. I had to buy a new pair of pants in Waynesboro, VA, the old ones would not stay up without a belt. I’ve lost an additional 6 pounds after coming home, so far I’ve kept it off.>
    > I didn’t have any problems with resupply boxes in the mail or at the hostels.
    > > The current plan is to continue to treat the knee, hopefully avoiding surgery, hike some locally to test it out and maybe finish MD and PA in the fall. I’d like to at least get to the halfway point. Then, if all is well, finish the AT next year.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Thanks for the update RangerZ and congrats on your progress up the trail. Sounds like your logistics worked out pretty good. Hate to hear about the knee though. Hope it heals up. Keep us posted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++