WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smokies Through Hiker Registration ???

So, now there's some regulation requiring through hikers to pay for permits through the smokies...but no actual information on the nps websites. surprising? no. alarming (for a hiker leaving in a few days)? yes. any information on the ACTUAL process?

The NPS web page is quite a mess with all those National Parks and you will have to go to the Great Smokey Mtn National Park portion of the NPS web page. A couple of things you should know. To hike the backcountry you need a "Backcountry Permit" this is available on line or in person at the main entrance to the park and is 4 bucks per night or 20 bucks total for a thru-hike. If you are not a thru-hiker, you also require a reservation for the shelters you will stay in. This reservation is free but you should call the back country office as soon as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    The NPS web page is quite a mess with all those National Parks and you will have to go to the Great Smokey Mtn National Park portion of the NPS web page. A couple of things you should know. To hike the backcountry you need a "Backcountry Permit" this is available on line or in person at the main entrance to the park and is 4 bucks per night or 20 bucks total for a thru-hike. If you are not a thru-hiker, you also require a reservation for the shelters you will stay in. This reservation is free but you should call the back country office as soon as you can.
    OMG! You have to go to the specific park page to get a permit for a specific park? The horror. Not to mention the hundred of posts here about obtaining permits that would have taken all of 20 seconds to search for.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    OMG! You have to go to the specific park page to get a permit for a specific park? The horror. Not to mention the hundred of posts here about obtaining permits that would have taken all of 20 seconds to search for.
    And not to mention it only goes up to 22 Apr 2013. How on Earth can I plan for my 2016 thru attempt if I can't get a permit early ?!?!

What to do, what to do?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    And not to mention it only goes up to 22 Apr 2013. How on Earth can I plan for my 2016 thru attempt if I can't get a permit early ?!?!

What to do, what to do?
    If you're thru hiking northbound, wait until you get to the NOC and get your permit there. Then you can be sure you have the latest and greatest(?) permit possible. All this could change drastically between now and 2016, including the fee being declared illegal by the courts. Apparently, there are about three or four lawsuits against the fee brought by the various towns, etc. around the park.

Since you have to know "when" you will be hiking thru the park for the starting day on the permit, what is the average number of days it takes to get from Springer to the entrance to the park?

Quote Originally Posted by jcheil View Post
    Since you have to know "when" you will be hiking thru the park for the starting day on the permit, what is the average number of days it takes to get from Springer to the entrance to the park?
    5-7 days. If you miss a shelter and end up stopping short at another shelter, its not a big deal, esp if the weather is a factor.

Snarkapalooza

QUOTE=fredmugs;1446125]OMG! You have to go to the specific park page to get a permit for a specific park? The horror. Not to mention the hundred of posts here about obtaining permits that would have taken all of 20 seconds to search for.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    This reservation is free but you should call the back country office as soon as you can.
    If you think the reservation is free, you should call the backcountry office. Call me too; I want to learn how to make free reservations.

El Sordo
    Images

has anyone actually seen a ranger or had their permit checked? Since they are closing campgrounds, I wonder if they are cutting back on patrols as well.
    Dyslexics Untie!

I have had my permit checked a couple of times.....I think it may be different now that they are collecting money

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    has anyone actually seen a ranger or had their permit checked? Since they are closing campgrounds, I wonder if they are cutting back on patrols as well.

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    Since they are closing campgrounds, I wonder if they are cutting back on patrols as well.
    Which campgrounds are closing? And when?

Went to their website yesterday, filled out the form, paid them the money, that was it. No permit, no nothing. they sent me an e-mail saying I've paid but nothing else. Don't understand.

Email should have an order number and a link.

Rangers were waiting to check permits at the entrance to the park shortly after crossing Fontana dam. I also got my permit checked at elkmont campground when I dropped off the AT to the only open road to get to Gatlinburg to resupply.

They are out there and checking. I wouldn't try to sneak through without a permit.

I did see a couple thrus be allowed to enter the park with only the receipt and not the full permit.

I wouldn't count on this either. Pay the fee and get the proper paperwork to save yourself the hassel.

Journal Entries
    Images

I will not have a problem getting a permit if I don't sweat it until I reach that point and just buy at the gate though for a NOBO hike, will I?

Quote Originally Posted by SOLcreature View Post
    I will not have a problem getting a permit if I don't sweat it until I reach that point and just buy at the gate though for a NOBO hike, will I?
    "the gate" isn't anywhere near Fontana where you enter the park on a thru. get your permit at home the day before you leave. its good for 38 days. Plenty of time.

Quote Originally Posted by b00t View Post
    I did see a couple thrus be allowed to enter the park with only the receipt and not the full permit.

I wouldn't count on this either.
    Several folks at NOC thought they were done once the receipt was printed. It seemed like a natural end point. I had NOC make a copy of my permit, and tape it to the wall near their computer, to show those after me of what the actual permit looks like.

I had my permit checked on the road mentioned above. The ranger did say that several before me only had their receipt and not the actual permit. Since several are making this mistake they are being lenient. I suspect a change in the process to make it more clear.
    Last edited by ChinMusic; 03-27-2013 at 13:28.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I had also asked the ranger about people just having the receipt and received the same answer. I told that the website process was very hard to follow though, especially if your not very tech inclined. He said he would pass that on to the people that take care of that stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++