WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default LT Thru-Hike GearList. Comments?

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to get excited about my upcoming thruhike attempt starting August 18th. I have finalized my gear list and I am moderately happy with the weight. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd have about 100$ that I could use to make some changes so let me know.

Thanks
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=12337

your list looks fine to me, since ur starting Aug 18th, you'll be finished before any real cold weather, coldest you will likely see is the 40s at nite. I would think you could choose between the down jacket and the fleece top, you would be fine with just one, doubt you would need both.

I just modified the list to reflect your suggestions as well as other suggestions from another forum. Thanks for your input

Looks like a solid list. By the weight it sounds like you are using the 20 degree Kelty Cosmic Down - you could get away with a lighter bag (like the 40 degree Cosmic). I also assume you will have at least a liter of storage capacity in your Sawyer Squeeze? You should be able to carry at least 2 liters of water. Most of the time you can just drink a liter and carry a liter at water stops, but the trail can get dry at some spots.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

another jacket -related suggestion: I carry a down vest, even in August. 280 grams. You have 565 grams in a jacket and pillow... a 280 gram vest serves both purposes

I'm starting my Long Trail hike around the same time. You are ahead of me in your planning. I am still in need of a tent and backpack. I need to get out of my 4 pound backpack and 4 pound tent and go lighter. Your gear list looks great. I'll see you on the trail.

- I hiked the Long Trail last year, and water scarcity was definitely an issue in some places (Bolton mtn, Ellen-Abraham, a few others). The conditions will probably be wetter this year, but consider taking a little extra capacity just in case (2.5-3 liters).
    - In my opinion, you don't need nearly so much warm clothing. I hiked with a t-shirt and a sweatshirt and shorts, and was actually perfectly fine even at nights (I typically went to bed early, though, and stuck to my sleeping bag at nights. You might want more than me, but you will probably find the down jacket and gloves superfluous.
    -In terms of how to spend $100 to save weight, I wish there was a way for you to get a lighter sleeping bag for that price. More realistic options include spending $65 on a 6 oz borah bug bivy (http://www.borahgear.com/bugbivy.html), getting a 1 oz black diamond ion headlamp, or getting a lighter raincoat (the golite poncho tarp is about 7 oz).

August 18 is getting late for summer camps, so chances are you won't be crowded out by summer camps etc and will have access to a shelter every single night. It's worth carrying a backup shelter just in case, but in my opinion a poncho-tarp and bivy will be plenty and you needn't necessarily even carry your tarp. If you're willing to hike extra miles if you get to a full shelter, it might be feasible to not carry a shelter at all. I slept in my tent only once on my SOBO long trail trip, and it was at the tent site just south of the Mass border (technically not on the Long Trail anyway).

Images

Yes...for sure bring a backup shelter.

Late August is still busy with AT Thruhikers in the southern 100 miles of the LT. Also, lots of universities will have freshman "orientations" on the trail and at the shelters.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I did an E2E starting from Journey's End last August 2nd. I carried a WM 35* bag and it was more than enough.

I took a Golite Tumalo rain jacket and a ULA rain skirt for rain gear.

I wouldn't go hiking anywhere without a shelter.

Jacket was a Mont Bell Thermowrap - more than enough.

1 pair shorts, 1 Golite shirt, 1 longsleeve merino wool pullover, and 3 pair socks were my clothes.

I didn't have any water issues myself that I recall - always found plenty.

If you get a chance go into Waitsfield - resupply is great, good food and the inn outside of town is very good.

I have a tarp and bug bivy listed but after some trial I returned both and I am planning on getting a tarptent to replace it. I've been looking at replacing the sleeping bag for a lighter one, or maybe a quilt but that'll depend on how much work I can find this summer.

hikerofmtns: hope to see you on the trail

Default Bag

Hi - did you decide on a quilt/bag yet? I am having trouble deciding but I am going in the Fall and need 15 deg for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewrozon View Post
    I have a tarp and bug bivy listed but after some trial I returned both and I am planning on getting a tarptent to replace it. I've been looking at replacing the sleeping bag for a lighter one, or maybe a quilt but that'll depend on how much work I can find this summer.

hikerofmtns: hope to see you on the trail

Didn't end up buying anything. If I was it would be an enlightened equipment quilt for sure... Just couldn't swing it budget wise. Leaving August 18th and can't wait

you need a 15 deg bag? when are you going in the fall? for most all of September, I think you would be fine with a 30 deg bag..... by October you'll maybe need a 15 deg bag in the northern half of the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Radagast View Post
    Hi - did you decide on a quilt/bag yet? I am having trouble deciding but I am going in the Fall and need 15 deg for sure...

There are lighter options than a sleeping bag, its called a down quilt and jacksrbetter makes awesome ones

No comments on your gear selection but thanks for the link to gear grams.com. Will be much easier to deal with than creating a spreadsheet.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Lucke View Post
    There are lighter options than a sleeping bag, its called a down quilt and jacksrbetter makes awesome ones
    Personally, I prefer a sleeping bag with a full zipper or near full zipper as the more versatile solution - it's worth it to me to have the ability to zip myself in tight in a draft free bag when needed. The ability to wear the quilt in camp, however, is appealing.

++ New Posts ++