WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Camp Shoes?

Default Camp Shoes?

I see a lot of people mention crocks for camp shoes.
    I find them to not be comfortable at all, so I was thinking maybe a lightweight pair of regular sneakers?
    Does anyone know how much crocks actually weigh? Then at least I can compare the weight to a simple pair of sneakers.

I know some say just stay in your hiking boots/shoes but I am thinking I would either want to "air out" my feet at night, which means something like an open toe shoe, like a flip flop or something, but then I worry about having my bare feet exposed and injuring them around the camp or wearing something that is always "dry" and a "dry" pair of socks.

Is this practical? ...or am I overthinking it again (it's ok, be honest).

Images

I use Keen sandals. They are a bit heavier but they work for me

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk 2
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcheil View Post
    I see a lot of people mention crocks for camp shoes.
    I find them to not be comfortable at all, so I was thinking maybe a lightweight pair of regular sneakers?
    Does anyone know how much crocks actually weigh? Then at least I can compare the weight to a simple pair of sneakers.

I know some say just stay in your hiking boots/shoes but I am thinking I would either want to "air out" my feet at night, which means something like an open toe shoe, like a flip flop or something, but then I worry about having my bare feet exposed and injuring them around the camp or wearing something that is always "dry" and a "dry" pair of socks.

Is this practical? ...or am I overthinking it again (it's ok, be honest).

Weight depends on size obviously, but its somewhere around 8oz I believe.
    Crocs have a very thick sole. The knock-offs are usually lighter. I saw another plastic shoe in a shoe store by K-Swiss the other day, looked more like a water shoe, seemed lighter than crocs, thinner more flexible sole.

Sneakers are heavy. Running shoes are much lighter.
    If you go that route, take a pair of trail running shoes .
    Then wear them to hike in
    Ship your boots home when you come to the realization that you dont need both.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you go that route, take a pair of trail running shoes .
    Then wear them to hike in
    Ship your boots home when you come to the realization that you dont need both.
    I will be hiking in a pair of Merrell moab ventilator mid.
    They are quite light to begin with - more of a shoe than a boot. And I do have a light pair of trail runners that I was thinking of using around camp. They (the ones I am thinking for camp) weigh 1lb 9oz (not sure if that is a lot)

Journal Entries

sneakers don't air your feet out as well as open footwear and I find that a welcome relief at the end of a day's hiking....
    I used flip flops for the first thousand miles, they were comfortable and light, but yes, It's real easy to stub your toes in them, particularly on rocks around camp after dark.
    So croks work for me, lightweight, good toe protection and they dry out fast if they get wet.....unlike sneakers that can get heavy and be a bitch to dry....

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I've people say at various points that Crocs weigh 10oz for the pair. Obviously shoe size would make a difference on that, but sure, 8-10oz for a ballpark.

If you're using Moab Ventilators I don't know why you'd need the sneakers for camp, as that's basically what Moab Ventilators are. Why would you carry two pairs of the exact same shoe? If you're going to carry camp shoes, make it so that they do something that your hiking shoes can't do--like air out your feet (flip-flops) or spread your toes out (Vibram FiveFingers). I'm a big fan of el cheapo rubber flip-flops myself. I got my AT pair at Target; they cost $8 and I'm guessing weighed 6oz or so. They're not there anymore (at least not at my nearest Target), but I'm sure Wal-Mart or a drugstore or a truck stop has something similar.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

Slides are wonderful camp shoes. They're only a few bucks at Walmart. Lighter than Crocs, and make better shower shoes too.

Check out your local Wal-Mart. They recently started to stock spring/summer stuff in my area and I scored a cheap and light (8.5 oz) pair of croc-like water shoes. Very comfortable, airy, yet will protect the feet. They also have a variety of croc knock offs, slides, flip-flops, water shoes, etc.

Images

I've always worn crocs around camp and like their comfort level just fine. There are "croc liners " that can make them more cozy to wear called neoprene slippers, found here ; www.theunderwearguys.com/prod...products_id=218

These can also double for shower shoes when in town or at hostels.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

My crocs weigh 19 oz. I bought them online thinking they weighed about 8 oz. I like them and find them comfortable. I carried them from Springer to Hanover then sent them home. I missed them the next day. I bought a pair of flip flops at Walmart outside of Gorham to replace them. I missed having something to wear in camp.
    More walking, less talking.

I have done the boot thing, but when you have put them on to get out of your tent in the middle of the night to pee - a real pain. I brought Vibrams the next go-round (I section hike) - they are a bigger pain to slip on in the middle of the night. this time I brought a cheap pair of Croc knock-offs at CVS - close to half the weight of crocs - and easy to slip on and off.

Whatever you pick for camp shoes I would recommend getting something that doubles for water crossings. Crocs are very good for this because the rocks in the water don't kill your feet. If not crocs get something that secures behind your heel / achilles tendon. My first time in Maine I brought flip flops and the current sucked one right off my foot and I lost it.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

I wore an older set of crocs after getting into camp and setting up. I use a "night bottle", so never had to get up and out. Watch the soles - my old ones were slick from wear. My wife bought me a new pair that is put away until my second attempt in 2016.

After the first slip and fall, I stayed in my boots for water, camp set-up, etc. After that, boots off.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Weight depends on size obviously, but its somewhere around 8oz I believe.
    Crocs have a very thick sole. The knock-offs are usually lighter. I saw another plastic shoe in a shoe store by K-Swiss the other day, looked more like a water shoe, seemed lighter than crocs, thinner more flexible sole..
    Anybody know a source for knockoffs? Wallyworld doesn't stock em anymore.

I don't mind the weight of the keen sandals. The tow cap makes it practical for hiking in them when you get bad blisters and they are a lot more pratical than crocs for when the you get to the shelter, peel off your sweaty socks and boots, then find that the water source is 400 yards straight down off the ridgeline.

Images

Hiking community still need something to fit the bill for camp shoes. Ultralight and cheap and easy on foot and easy to carry. Crocks are cheap and relatively easy on foot but not Light or easy to carry.

Camp shoes(sandals or crocks or . . .) may look like luxuries but time after time I have found them almost a necessity. Still I am searching for the one that sail my boat though.

Agree with Daddytwosticks - I just purchased croc knockoffs from Walmart for about $9.50. used them for section from NOC to Fontana last weekend. worked great...very comfortable, and would be good for fording streams (velcro back strap).

I used a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure last year on my thru hike. They weight 7 oz (pair) without the tongue (which is removable). I liked them, but they have thin soles and you definitely feet sharp rocks or roots. I recently purchased a pair of knock off crocks at Walmart that weight 8.8 oz (pair). I am debating which to carry on a section hike this year (Springer to Damascus). In fact, I am currently wearing one of each around the house trying to decide.

Images

Start without camp shoes and see how that goes first.

Journal Entries

Walmarts do carry them , sometimes.
    In fact, last week for the first time ever, I saw X-large knock off in a Walmart, some brands stop at size 9-10, I guess thats as big as chinese feet normally get.

Check out Shoe Station for the Kswiss ones

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++