WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Buying First Tent. Advice?

I've been a hammocker for several years and will be buying my first backpacking tent soon. I'm looking for something lightweight (2-3.5lb range) and affordable (under or around $200). I also am wavering between wanting to buy a 1- or a 2-person model, but am leaning toward 2. It will be used for hiking on the A.T. and I will be doing backpacking in Maine and Alaska this summer. I'll be in Alaska all summer so it needs to be able to withstand some wear. One of the models I'm looking at is the LLBean Microlight FS 2-person. I've also looked into some Golite models but am worried they may not be durable enough, even though I've been happy with the Golite pack and jacket that I own. Does anyone else have any suggestions?
    "Mr. Franz I think careers are a 20th century invention and I don't want one."

MSR Hubba, Big Agnes Fly Creek, more than $200 but you can find 'em cheaper on ebay.

Images

SMD Trekker Scout
    TT Contrail
    Appytrails if you can do some modifications.

Hubba hubba, double rainbow

Hubba hubba is a tent. But I bet he *is* glad to see you.

The LL Bean FS2 is a great tent and they have fast snd free shipping. Right now they are offering a free $10 gift card for any purchase of $50 or more.

Http://www.llbean.com

Some of the most innovative and best regarded gear (including tents) come from small independent cottage companies. Here is a long list of ones to check out if you have not already: You will find some of the suggestions above listed here.

List of Cottage Gear Companies

TarpTent. I like the Moment.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstah Legs View Post
    TarpTent. I like the Moment.
    It's a nice tent, but $269.

My first recommendation over $200 would be the Lightheart Solo at $245.

I'm thinking about getting a lightheart solo as well. It seems like a pretty bombproof tent

"I'll be in Alaska all summer so it needs to be able to withstand some wear. "
    I doubt very seriously if an UL tent is suitable for a summer in Alaska. Hileberg comes to mind.
    If you do buy UL, buy from LL Bean or REI. Either will replace a "wrong tool for the job."
    Have fun. Be safe.

Wayne

Going down the list of cottage supplier and sticking to your original $200 price range, there are a few options at Six Moon Designs. Or consider the Contrail at Tarp Tent. Or you could get a canopy tent (which is really a tarp) with a net tent from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs.

Images

Not sure why folks think a summer in Alaska is so much more wearing then a summer most any place else. Plenty of UL tents survive summer long (and a lot longer) all over the country. Has way more to do with how you treat your gear than where you will use it.

That said, any number of tents on the market today will work just fine. More standard weight tents will generally last longer with the same care, and be cheaper. At 20 years old, shaving the extra lb off your pack for one of the big four isn't as critical (still important). If you are hard on your gear, a heavier tent is probably a good idea. If you are less experienced, a slightly heavier tent is more forgiving. Much of the rest comes down to personal preferences of features. There is no one answer for you. In fact, most folks end up with multiple tents, with no clear favorite overall.

Some things to look out for:

Ease of set-up
    Bug protection, needed or not?
    Door protected from rain while entering exiting (more important that a lot of folks realize until they are sopping up water from their gear during an extended rain)
    Stability in high winds (though this can be less crucial if you take your time with site selection).
    Color (lighter colors can be less dreary if confined to tent during a storm; muted, natural colors easier to stealth camp)

Good luck in your choice. Rest assured most anything you decide on from a known manufacturer with a track record will probably work just fine. Also, it probably won't be your last tent purchase, so you can correct anything that isn't perfect the next time around.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Not sure why folks think a summer in Alaska is so much more wearing then a summer most any place else. Plenty of UL tents survive summer long (and a lot longer) all over the country. Has way more to do with how you treat your gear than where you will use it.
    I don't get that either. Skurka hiked around Alaska from the middle of March to the middle of September. He used a UL shelter the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I don't get that either. Skurka hiked around Alaska from the middle of March to the middle of September. He used a UL shelter the entire time.
    Brand? Model? There are tents and there are tents. One person might be comfortable with a bit of Tyvek underneath and a poncho/tarp overhead, while another person might feel the need for full weather/wind/bug protection.
    Personally, I would be more inclined to shop the 3 1/2 (or even 4) pound end of the OP's specification. As a matter of fact, I did exactly that in 1994 and I am still happy with the choice that I made. I do tend toward Bombproof, within reason.
    Good luck with the original budget.

Wayne

Wayne

Images

MLD SoloMid.

What conditions in Alaska warrant a more rugged tent?

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    He also reported that the bugs were incredible, so good bug protection probably important.

Images

Yeah, I would definitely have a fully netted shelter, but that's not saying much since I always want netting. He did have a bug bivy though, so it's not like he had nothing.

I stand in awe of Mr. Skurka's achievements. I would never have guessed that such a wee bit of fabric would work where he used it.
    I still stand behind my my choice of solo tent: the Garuda Atman. It works for me.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Not sure why folks think a summer in Alaska is so much more wearing then a summer most any place else.
    Because elevation.

Alaska is a huge place with a ton of different climates. Needless to say, "camping in Alaska" isn't much to go on for providing tent recommendations.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++