WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Normally they say the sweet spot is Aug-Sep.

So far the snowpack is running significantly low, like 20-40% of avg. Lot can change between now and April though, but some sources are predicting a dry winter. 2014 could be closer to 2013, than 2011. Time will tell.

For a late August start the snow winter snowpack doesn't mean a thing, does it? I know if does for a July trip. I had like 15' under me in some places a couple summers ago.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I'm planning to do the JMT in 2014. I am wide open to a starting date. What's the sweet spot?
    IMO, September is the best month. No lingering snow, no bugs, most of the crowds are gone and the weather is ideal. Plus Vermillion Valley Resort and Muir Trail Ranch are still open

Journal Entries

For a late August start the snow winter snowpack doesn't mean a thing, does it? I know if does for a July trip. I had like 15' under me in some places a couple summers ago.
    Not for August, but the earlier the snow is gone, the earlier the creeks are low, and the bugs are too. From what I saw in trail journals, etc, this yr, July looked like August basically. A wider sweet spot.

I have a short window of opportunity in early June for another JMT thru (hiked late August/early Sept last year) and have a June 1 permit for Happy Isles. This is way too early in most years but the snow situation is so poor right now that I figured it would be worth $10 to get a permit and at least have the option. I need to finish up by June 15. Not getting my hopes up yet but it seems to me that the trail could be fine in early June, reaching the high southern passes the second week. I expect to make a go/no-go call around May 1, and no firm travel plans until then.

CA needs the snow more than I need the hike but if there's no or little snow I figure why not.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

The way the weather is looking so far July would be fine....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    I might also divert from the JMT in Yosemite and instead go via Merced Lake and Vogelsang Pass next time to avoid the Tuolumne crowds.
    How are the views on this section verses the Cathedral Lakes area?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Last year I left August 16th & there wasn't any snow near the trail but you cld see it high up in the snow fields, amazing!! The beautiful waterfalls they leave as they continue to melt are crazy awesome!!. It would be interesting to see how the 2012/13 snowfall compares to the 2013/14 snowfall prior to heading how, just for the fun of researching.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    How are the views on this section verses the Cathedral Lakes area?
    It has been over 20 years since I visited Merced Lake and Vogelsang but I have great memories of Vogelsang in particular as well as the trail leading up to Vogelsang Pass. Don't get me wrong - Cathedral Lakes area is great but it is definitely more crowded both with JMT hikers and day hikers.

If I take this alternate it might be more for nostalgic reasons than anything else given how long ago my last visit to the area was.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RN-PCT2015 View Post
    It has been over 20 years since I visited Merced Lake and Vogelsang but I have great memories of Vogelsang in particular as well as the trail leading up to Vogelsang Pass. Don't get me wrong - Cathedral Lakes area is great but it is definitely more crowded both with JMT hikers and day hikers.

If I take this alternate it might be more for nostalgic reasons than anything else given how long ago my last visit to the area was.
    Gotcha, I do agree Cathedral Lakes were the most crowded camp site I had a trip, it wasn't that bad though since everyone spreads out all around the lake, maybe 6 or so camps

Gorgeous photos, Malto.

Hey ChinMusic...I think August is the sweet spot. The skeeters are mostly gone, the wildflowers are still there. Creeks are still running and the days are long still and warm. But...having said that...I like July for the wildflowers and Sept for less crowds. Dee

I have a permit reservation for a 8/19 start
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++