WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default NOBO section hike starting 4/4 @ Fontana Dam

First time AT hiker looking to go thru to Damacus. I am a long time runner (50 yr male) and seek to cover 15 to 20 miles with a 35 lb pack. Love some company if anyone has dates that coincide.

Don't worry you will have plenty of company if you want it or not, but what i would be worried about is trying to do 20 MPD with a 35lb pack.

Yea, that first climb out of Fontana dam will be a real eye opener

Since you say your a first time AT hiker, does that mean your also new to backpacking and hiking in the mountians all together? If so, 15-20 mpd with a 35# pack might be a bit ambitious. Running is quite a bit different then hiking with a heavy pack - different muscles are involved. Plan on doing 7 to 10 to start and see how it goes.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Ouch!!!like he said. That climb -that whole stretch to clinfmans is no cake walk. That pack is goona hurt.
    I may be
    On the trail around that time. Whwn you think
    You will be to newfound gap??
    S

Images

There will be many hikers on the trail - you won't lack for compatible folks. Do take a little extra food in case you decide to slow down the mileage a bit. Could happen

You'll need to make reservations for each night in the Smokies ahead of time -- might be too late at this point for a 4/4 start (unless you already have them?) If you start 50 miles south of the park you just need a thru-hiker's permit for $20, no individual reservations needed for each night. (Winding Stair Gap at US 64 would meet this requirement.) You get the permit before you leave home, and carry the printout with you.

That's a nice section of trail through NC and TN. Have fun and enjoy the hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I'm tentatively scheduled to be there on 4/4. Won't be doing 20 miles per day, tho. Might be closer to 15. But, my talk is cheap now. We'll see when the pack is on.

Z-man

I guess I should plan to stick to 15 MPD max until the pack gets lighter. I hope the weather warms up a bit.

Sounds good - look for me with blue pack and white hat

Whats the itenerary??

Will head up to Damacus and catch bus back on 4/21 if I can stay on schedule

How many days u gonnq be out? I will be at newfound gap on 4/24 heading north.

++ New Posts ++