WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Sobo @ 4th of July, Biting bugs??

I'm not familiar with the Northern sections of the trail, how bad a are mosquito's or biting flies @ this time of year? Any other concerns about starting @ this time?
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

There's a good chance black flies will still be around - I remember experiencing them in the White Mountains in early July.

I think mosquitoes are a given during all of July which is why I chose mid-August to mid-September to hike Gorham to Katahdin. That hike had virtually no bugs.

i left sobo on july 11, 2011....blackflies were only bad in a couple of low spots....mosquitoes were prevelant anywhere the wind wasn't blowing for most of maine...mostly around dawn & dusk...by the time i hit the whites in early august they were still only around at dawn & dusk
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain -- and most fools do." Dale Carnegie

black flies are way more bothersome to me than mosquitoes...i'm from florida so i am used to mosquitoes...black flies will diminish swiftly after early july in most years in maine....i only slept in two shelters in maine due to the mosquitoes at night
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain -- and most fools do." Dale Carnegie

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Good time to start in Maine. Only some deerfly issues. No insects at all in MA by the time I got there, it was sweet.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++