WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

It's a very individual thing too. If a 50 year old 50 pound overweight body, and long weekends, and 500 foot hills is all what you have to work with, well that's what it is. So you experiment and work with what you've got. So you develop your own science and medicine and set your own records, or whatever. I don't look down on the 300 pound hikers any more than I look down on the 150 pound ultra runners. They are both gods on some other astral plane in my books. I have to live in the 200 to 225 pound world, at least for now. Every age and weight class is a science within itself.

I'm just shy of NOC on my thru attempt. I am looking forward to the time "it is just walking".
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Keep it up Chin Music! I hear it gets better, north of the NOC!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I'm just shy of NOC on my thru attempt. I am looking forward to the time "it is just walking".
    You are an inspiration to the rest of us 50 somethings. That is not the only reason I wish you well, but it is amongst them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    You're doing great!! Just get up & out of the NOC ....horrible climb, I've heard... Then, you can just walk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Thanks for the idea. The commute to the dunes is 5-7 hours one-way (10-14 hours roundtrip) depending on the Chicago area traffic and which dunes I would be going to.
    Lemme know if you want to hike here - we have Warren Dunes SP and I haunt Grand Mere SP - fewer people, just as "duney". I have a close to 6 mile route and the burn lasts a day or two. I know Grand Mere better, but I have been around Warren Dunes also. We are in Berrien county which is the Southernmost county in Michigan. Warren Dunes is probably only about 15 miles from Indiana. Grand Mere is at exit 22 off I94. Red Arrow Highway is a pretty alternative to the Interstate and there are a few good places to eat along there, too. Just something to think about.

Images

I enjoyed your story Capt Nat,,, thanks for sharing!! I think of all the many blunders I've made over the years hiking the trail, the times the mountains have sent me home ahead of schedule, and the many lessons learned from it all,,,, and I wouldn't trade a thing. It's my AT story, and I'm proud of it,, and you should be of yours. The fact that you got out there in the first place speaks volumes. The AT has a way of bringing you back, so I have no doubt that you'll be back with a vengeance.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    You are an inspiration to the rest of us 50 somethings. That is not the only reason I wish you well, but it is amongst them.

Later this year I'll be a 60 something - and that's something! Never thought I'd make it past 30
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++