WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Capt. I too live here in flat Florida. I live in Titusville and the only hill I have to train on is the I95 overpass. Just have to dodge a lot of cars. What date did you start. I am a little older and plan on starting on the 26th. I know, me being born in Key West, cold is my kryptonite. Living in Florida we should know more than the yanks, Lightning is to nothing to fool around with!!! Your story reminds me of laughing dogs attempts last year. He too picked up leg problems within the first week and had to drop out. He rebounded and started a SOBO that same year. His web site http://www.laughingdog.com/ . Bottom line is if you rehab you could be ready for a SOBO by early July!!! If you got the bug don't let get away!!!

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Thanks for the idea. The commute to the dunes is 5-7 hours one-way (10-14 hours roundtrip) depending on the Chicago area traffic and which dunes I would be going to.
    Yea, those dunes will kill you. If you can get up to Sleeping Bear Dunes NL, there are a couple of epic dune climbs. The official dune climb is very loose sand. It is 270 vertical feet up a 1500 foot trail (better than 10 degree average incline). Every time you come over a rise and you think you are at the top, there is another hill to climb (I never have made it all the way to the top). But coming down's a hoot. If you do make it to the top, the view is amazing (If you can't make it all the way to the top, you can drive up on the scenic drive loop). You can't see the actual dune in this picture, but you can see the dune climb parking lot a few hundred feet below at the very bottom of the picture.
    SBD1.JPG

If you continue around the scenic drive loop, you get to the Lake Michigan Overlook. Here you can look down the Sleeping Bear Dune right into the lake. This is a perched dune (more like packed gravel), but that makes the hill much steeper. It is an average 30 degree incline down for 850 feet (450 vertical foot drop). In the second picture, you can see a boat in the water and the people halfway up the "trail" for perspective. There is a sign warning you not to go down as many people who can't get back up have to be rescued each year (I have never attempted this one).

SBD2.JPGSBD3.JPG

To get a good look at this dune from 4 miles to the south (and see what may be the most photographed view in all of Michigan), hike the pleasant and not too strenuous 1.5 mile round trip Empire Bluffs trail. Just to the south of the base of the dune (right in the middle of the picture below) is North Bar Lake Beach. This is one of the most spectacular beaches in the US (assuming you need no amenities other than a picnic table and port a potty). On a crowded hot summer weekend, you may very well have it all to yourself.

SBD4.JPG

http://bamahiker.blog.com/ Freedom Walker's Avatar
    Images

Capt Nat, I feel your pain. I have done two sections on the AT starting in Ga. Both times coming home with knee pain. The first time was a menicus tear. I haven't been back in over a year, but I have been working on getting the knee stronger as well as ankles and calves. I would like to see a list of exercises to help us older guys be better prepared for those mts.
    Freedom Walker, I am free to Walk, I am free to Run, I m free to live for You Lord Jesus, I am FREE!

He who the Son sets free, is free indeed.
    Visit my blog Free To Hike

This story is probably an accurate description of the experience of thousands of "thruhikers." And one that prospective "thruhikers" probably need to hear a lot more often. People that quit in the first 30 miles generally don't come on here and post about it, they generally sneak off the trail and are too embarassed to talk about it.

I spent the first week (yes, it took me 6 days, and I didn't even do the approach trail) trying to make it to Neels gap with an overloaded pack, and I got flashbacks when you talked about being so winded you had to stop frequently to catch your breath. I was walking 50 to 100 ft and then grabbing onto a tree for support and catching my breath and then continuing on...in addition to an overloaded pack I was overweight and out of shape. But after dropping some pack weight and getting into shape I ended up going 850 miles. Hope you give it another shot.

Total weight on feet is 90% of the game, as with running also.

To put things in perspective, if you slow down or reduce your total weight by about 10% you can go about twice as far in any given run or hike without having to rest. Adding a 1% grade is equivalent to about 10% added effort. You combine the effects of added weight and average grade and you can soon be in for a world of hurt, and that is without considering fitness or injuries. It isn't really the 40 pound pack that does people in, or the lack of general overall fitness, but when you add that on top of being perhaps 50% overweight to begin with. The most enabling thing about going light or ultralight is not that it enables already fit lean hikers or trail runners to travel fast and farther, but it enable many overweight first timers to do overnight hikes on trails, period. Unfortunately, outfitters continue to sell 40 pounds of gear to 40 to 60 year old folks that are already 40 to 80 pounds overweight.

Thanks for sharing your story. I can assure you that you are not alone in your experience. I have already helped two folks off the trail this year with that empty look in their eyes and the season is very early. I am heading out to Justus Mtn this morning with the wife and dogs and even with the spectacular weather I may very likely come across a hiker who has had enough and is searching for a way off the trail. The hike from Hightower Gap to Justus Creek is too much for some. I don't think most hikers here on WB realize how many do not make it to Woody Gap. What I like about your story is you have not given up. Good luck with your training and future hikes.

I have a confession to make. I ran my story past Mr. Alligator before I posted it. I respect his opinion. He warned me that I might get beat up a bit but that the story should be shared. This is like walking into a room crowded with veterans of tens of thousands of trail miles, folks that have left tracks every where I'm likely to go and lots of places I will never make, and tell my story of inexperience and being out of my element. Telling all of you old pros that the ground that you conquered handed me my butt.

I posted it for two reasons. It was so awesome and exciting for me that I just needed to blurt it all out. And something that I learned about you on the trail. In my short time out there, I met a surprising lot of people. A couple have already PM'd me on here. There were a lot of young people, as well as old folks like me.

I was standing around the fire at Hawk Mountain Shelter, soaking up the warmth of the fire and the camaraderie of fellow hikers and instead of listening as I should have been, my mind had drifted as it's prone to do, and I was thinking how the young folks gathered were smart, intelligent, motivated, respectful, and full of hope and promise. Like everyone I met along the trail and corridor, you could just feel the air electrified with "good". I looked around at the bright young faces and smiled at the thought of turning the world over to this new generation. They will do just fine. There is hope for the future of the world because of them.

Two nights later, I boarded a Greyhound Bus in Gainesville GA and during my 22 hour ordeal getting home, that feeling of good will toward the future and the young was crushed and ground into the dirt.

People who hike are special. The people who climb up and down mountains all day and live in the woods along the way are people of high moral fiber. They are not people of low character and pettiness. They are people who will work, strain, and sweat all day to earn their place.

You haven't disappointed me. You've helped me laugh about myself. You've encouraged and cheered for me. You've celebrated the things I did OK with and given me helpful suggestions of how to proceed. You've reached out to me and said, if you try hard enough, you are one of us.

Thank you. Your replies mean a lot to me. Capt Nat

Images

Re: preparation

The idea that one can prepare by sitting at home reading and thinking about the trip seems to me fundamentally flawed. How well did it work out for Bill Bryson, lol? While it may not be convenient for people to have to trek far from home to make a test run at hiking in the mountains, before one launches a six-month project, it's probably worth spending a week giving it a try. Before one quits their job, gives up their house or apartment, etc., it seems prudent to take a week to drive to some mountain area, check into a campground, and make some practice hikes carrying one's pack.

In other words, if you don't take a week beforehand for a trial hike in the mountains, chances are good that that's what your 'thru-hike' will turn into--three days to a week of painful hiking.

I'm not saying this as a rebuke to you personally, Capt. Nat. I admire your courage in sharing your story, and have a strong feeling that you will continue to process and evaluate your experience. You will be back, better prepared next time. Good luck!
    Last edited by Marta; 03-16-2013 at 10:48.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    I have a confession to make. I ran my story past Mr. Alligator before I posted it. I respect his opinion. He warned me that I might get beat up a bit but that the story should be shared. This is like walking into a room crowded with veterans of tens of thousands of trail miles, folks that have left tracks every where I'm likely to go and lots of places I will never make, and tell my story of inexperience and being out of my element. Telling all of you old pros that the ground that you conquered handed me my butt.

I posted it for two reasons. It was so awesome and exciting for me that I just needed to blurt it all out. And something that I learned about you on the trail. In my short time out there, I met a surprising lot of people. A couple have already PM'd me on here. There were a lot of young people, as well as old folks like me.

I was standing around the fire at Hawk Mountain Shelter, soaking up the warmth of the fire and the camaraderie of fellow hikers and instead of listening as I should have been, my mind had drifted as it's prone to do, and I was thinking how the young folks gathered were smart, intelligent, motivated, respectful, and full of hope and promise. Like everyone I met along the trail and corridor, you could just feel the air electrified with "good". I looked around at the bright young faces and smiled at the thought of turning the world over to this new generation. They will do just fine. There is hope for the future of the world because of them.

Two nights later, I boarded a Greyhound Bus in Gainesville GA and during my 22 hour ordeal getting home, that feeling of good will toward the future and the young was crushed and ground into the dirt.

People who hike are special. The people who climb up and down mountains all day and live in the woods along the way are people of high moral fiber. They are not people of low character and pettiness. They are people who will work, strain, and sweat all day to earn their place.

You haven't disappointed me. You've helped me laugh about myself. You've encouraged and cheered for me. You've celebrated the things I did OK with and given me helpful suggestions of how to proceed. You've reached out to me and said, if you try hard enough, you are one of us.

Thank you. Your replies mean a lot to me. Capt Nat
    That's awesome!!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

It's just WALKING yeah a person starts on Springer and walks to Maine, A thru-hiker works harder day in and day out than a 9-5er does, they deserve there rewards no matter how big or small for a person to say it's just walking that's a slap in the face to a thru-hiker, yeah it's just walking but it's one Helluva walk.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Why do you make a trip? For me, the objectives are (in order of priority): (a) get home safely. (b) have a good time. (c) learn something or see something interesting. (d) get to some destination.

It sounds as if Capt. Nat made (a), (b) and (c). That's a good trip already.

And anyone who's sweated going up a mountain under the weight of a backpack is one of us. (At least from my perspective as a clueless weekender.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Re: preparation

The idea that one can prepare by sitting at home reading and thinking about the trip seems to me fundamentally flawed. How well did it work out for Bill Bryson, lol? While it may not be convenient for people to have to trek far from home to make a test run at hiking in the mountains, before one launches a six-month project, it's probably worth spending a week giving it a try. Before one quits their job, gives up their house or apartment, etc., it seems prudent to take a week to drive to some mountain area, check into a campground, and make some practice hikes carrying one's pack.

In other words, if you don't take a week beforehand for a trial hike in the mountains, chances are good that that's what your 'thru-hike' will turn into--three days to a week of painful hiking.

I'm not saying this as a rebuke to you personally, Capt. Nat. I admire your courage in sharing your story, and have a strong feeling that you will continue to process and evaluate your experience. You will be back, better prepared next time. Good luck!

I agree with you--(especially in principle).

Just to make things clear: My previous comments--regarding those of us in parts of the Midwest living a great distance away from real trails and mountains-- were primarily directed at our challenges in being able to TRAIN in such areas easily or on a regular basis (or getting to such places for weekend hikes).

I agree with you wholeheartedly that--IDEALLY--before quitting a job, selling your car, or giving up your apartment--it is VERY wise to take at least a week and get hiking on some real trails in mountain areas for a shakedown hike or two.

The only problem that I can see is (unfortunately, for some people) such shakedown hikes are also a tremendous logistical challenge which border on being "impossible". Thus, I think "selling" the idea to the very people who need it the most would be extremely difficult. Plus, I think many would be too inexperienced to really comprehend the absolute importance of doing such shakedown hikes.

Sadly, some people DO have work or college schedules which essentially prevent them from getting away for a week long shakedown hike--without quitting their job or dropping out of school. (I have personally been in that situation many times). Some people DO have tremendous transportation challenges. Some DO have huge financial challenges. Some people have several of these challenges---COMBINED. (Our posters who are proposing to do a thru hike on $1,500 are probably not going to devote a few hundred dollars to a shakedown hike--even though they probably are the ones who need it the most).

I just did some quick search online (not a detailed search for bargains). If I didn't own a vehicle and I needed to take a train to the Rockies or to someplace like Springer Mountain for a shake down hike it would be cashy and time consuming. Roundtrip to Grand Junction Colrado would cost me $250--and I would spend roughly 49 hours on the train roundtrip. Leaving me just 4-5 days for hiking out of taking 7 days off of work. If I wanted to get just to Atlanta (not counting Atlanta to Springer). The cost of taking a train is roughly $400 round trip and I would spend approximately 4 days out of the seven on the train--plus time getting from Atlanta to Springer Mountain.

Thus, I can see WHY some of our posters don't take shakedown hikes on the AT or on AT like places.

Shakedown hikes on the AT (or in AT-like conditions) are very important. However, the people who need such hikes the most, are often the same people who must overcome the greatest challenges in order to do shakedown hikes. It is a vicious cycle.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    I agree with you--(especially in principle).

Just to make things clear: My previous comments--regarding those of us in parts of the Midwest living a great distance away from real trails and mountains-- were primarily directed at our challenges in being able to TRAIN in such areas easily or on a regular basis (or getting to such places for weekend hikes).

I agree with you wholeheartedly that--IDEALLY--before quitting a job, selling your car, or giving up your apartment--it is VERY wise to take at least a week and get hiking on some real trails in mountain areas for a shakedown hike or two.

The only problem that I can see is (unfortunately, for some people) such shakedown hikes are also a tremendous logistical challenge which border on being "impossible". Thus, I think "selling" the idea to the very people who need it the most would be extremely difficult. Plus, I think many would be too inexperienced to really comprehend the absolute importance of doing such shakedown hikes.

Sadly, some people DO have work or college schedules which essentially prevent them from getting away for a week long shakedown hike--without quitting their job or dropping out of school. (I have personally been in that situation many times). Some people DO have tremendous transportation challenges. Some DO have huge financial challenges. Some people have several of these challenges---COMBINED. (Our posters who are proposing to do a thru hike on $1,500 are probably not going to devote a few hundred dollars to a shakedown hike--even though they probably are the ones who need it the most).

I just did some quick search online (not a detailed search for bargains). If I didn't own a vehicle and I needed to take a train to the Rockies or to someplace like Springer Mountain for a shake down hike it would be cashy and time consuming. Roundtrip to Grand Junction Colrado would cost me $250--and I would spend roughly 49 hours on the train roundtrip. Leaving me just 4-5 days for hiking out of taking 7 days off of work. If I wanted to get just to Atlanta (not counting Atlanta to Springer). The cost of taking a train is roughly $400 round trip and I would spend approximately 4 days out of the seven on the train--plus time getting from Atlanta to Springer Mountain.

Thus, I can see WHY some of our posters don't take shakedown hikes on the AT or on AT like places.

Shakedown hikes on the AT (or in AT-like conditions) are very important. However, the people who need such hikes the most, are often the same people who must overcome the greatest challenges in order to do shakedown hikes. It is a vicious cycle.
    i agree that the people who need the advice the most are the most likely not to heed it. It seems extra sad that someone whose life is filled with problems--financial and otherwise--has the chastening experience of the "thru-hike" turning into the brief shake-down hike they thought they couldn't afford.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

RE: Preparations:

Prain4u makes some good points, but I don't think you have to go to the mountians to do a shake down hike. Every state has state parks with camping and hiking trails. Most have some National Forest land. No one should have to drive more than a couple of hours to get to such a place. Time of year is more of a factor. Someone living in the upper midwest isn't going to want to do a shake down hike locally in the middle of Febuary! In that case one must plan sufficently in advance and do the shake down hike in the fall while the weather is still reasonable.

Getting into shape is another issue. Once again, I don't think you need to be going up and down hills to do this. It sure helps if you can, but it isn't a requirement. Simply going out and walking every day for a few miles is a big help, even if you just start doing this a few weeks before your big hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    RE: Preparations:

Prain4u makes some good points, but I don't think you have to go to the mountians to do a shake down hike. Every state has state parks with camping and hiking trails. Most have some National Forest land. No one should have to drive more than a couple of hours to get to such a place. Time of year is more of a factor. Someone living in the upper midwest isn't going to want to do a shake down hike locally in the middle of Febuary! In that case one must plan sufficently in advance and do the shake down hike in the fall while the weather is still reasonable.

Getting into shape is another issue. Once again, I don't think you need to be going up and down hills to do this. It sure helps if you can, but it isn't a requirement. Simply going out and walking every day for a few miles is a big help, even if you just start doing this a few weeks before your big hike.
    I am not saying that someone must go to mountains or the actual AT to train or shake down. (However, I would say that it would probably be the IDEAL).

My comments were primarily in response to Marta who wrote:
    "While it may not be convenient for people to have to trek far from home to make a test run at hiking in the mountains, before one launches a six-month project, it's probably worth spending a week giving it a try. Before one quits their job, gives up their house or apartment, etc., it seems prudent to take a week to drive to some mountain area, check into a campground, and make some practice hikes carrying one's pack.
    "

Also, the OP attributed his lack of hiking in hills/mountains as a key reason that his tendons gave him issues.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Okay, I guess its the "drive to some mountain area" part which is the problem. I agree, that can be a big problem for some. But the basic concept is good. Before commiting to a 6 month hike, one should do a test run *someplace* before hand. The mountains would be ideal, but anywhere will do.

As for tendon issues, I belive just not doing enough walking before hand is the root of the problem, especially for us older folks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Nat View Post
    I have a confession to make.
    I've had much the same experience if that is any consolation, except for the lightning. Keep at it, and less weight next time. Nice writing by the way. Story telling is a lost art.

Journal Entries
    Images

For all the lurkers out there, a couple more pieces of advice:

If a long distance hike on the AT is in your future you might consider taking a trip to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap prior to the start of your hike. Ideally you would go when the bulk of the hikers are going through. Any weekend in March or April is good. All you need to do is sit at the entryway and watch the hikers roll in. Talk to them and get an idea of the first few days of the hike. You will learn plenty, about gear and the mountains. Ask them what they are sending home (i.e. stuff they've been carrying but didn't need). If you already have your gear ready you might also bring it and ask for a 'gear shakedown'. Many of the workers there are hikers themselves. They will give you good advice.

Something else to consider is Trail Days in Damascus, VA. Lots of gear vendors plying their wares. You'll see much different gear than what you'll see at REI or other large outfitters. Much of which is lightweight stuff. You don't have to be an 'ultra-lighter' to carry lightweight gear.

Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

maintenance videos

... and along the lines of what Marta said, best way to lose the gear weight and body weight, and other preparations, is by hiking. One of the greatest joys I've got from hiking and other adventuring is still when I discover that I have gotten myself into a jam, over my head or lost or whatever, and have to dig or craft or just tramp my way out of it. It's really quite a thrill, as long as you don't go too deep. But it's always refreshing, when as prepared as you might be you discover that you are not, and in finding that you are not quite the man you thought you were, you are a little more than you were. Smaller and less significant on one hand, but that much further along, and more alive, and more real, on the other. Or maybe its a two steps forward three steps back thing. Not sure. Whatever. It really is just walking, but that's really quite something, if you can make it so.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++