WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trail Conditions Davenport Gap to Hot Springs?

I am headed out in a few days. Anybody know the trial conditions between Davenport Gap and Hot Springs?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The snow is melting fast north of Hot Springs... Hikers are back on the trail and moving out of Erwin again - the ones who were here for the storm last week are gone.

Thans, 10-K! With all the snow, I was wondering if the trail is going turn icy. Not sure if I should bring my microspikes.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

+1 to what 10-K was saying, I have been following a few thru hikers, and it seems last week everyone in that area was either hiking thru snow or taking zeros in Gatlinburg or Hot Springs waiting for the weather to break. It seems everyone is starting to move again.

Here is a vids of a couple who just went thru that area. I was amazed to see how much snow was at Max Patch. Not the springtime hangout it usually is. Its getting warmer and the snow should be melted by now, but to be safe prepare for cold, mud, and some leftover snow.

Thoroughly enjoyed the videos ! Looks like you guys are having a blast........ain't nothin like it !

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I'm 99% sure I picked this couple up today at Sam's Gap and brought them into Erwin due to sickness.

I've picked up 8 hikers in the last 48 hours who were sick as dogs - something going around.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I'm 99% sure I picked this couple up today at Sam's Gap and brought them into Erwin due to sickness.

I've picked up 8 hikers in the last 48 hours who were sick as dogs - something going around.
    You might be right, a new video popped up today. the first half of the video mentions their one friend almost dying and getting kicked out of the smokies due to the bad cold and snow. Then there was a quick that the girl had a cold and the one guy just caught a cold. The second half at 4:00 they mentioned about both being sick, the guy with a fever and the girl with the stomach flu, and it sond like a lot of other hikers between Gatlinburg and Erwin caught it.

Good job helping out K-10, but you may want to lysol your vehicle so you don't catch this hiker plague.

I official subscribed to this couples channel, and if I ever do a thru hike I'm definately starting in April.

++ New Posts ++