WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    AT 2012

A million years ago my life was being a ski instructor, and I would occasionally run into people (usually wealthy just past middle aged men) who wanted a bit of adventure but were really unsure of themselves, and were willing to pay for a security blanket. The arrangement would never last too long -- if you do a good job, then the "client" would be ready for independence after a while. A 6 to 9 month walk? I doubt it. Now, if this ebay guy offered to start people out at Springer and "coach" for a week, he could have a business -- well, at least if he actually knew what he was doing. And if he made dinner.
    Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by dzierzak View Post
    Your vector, Victor?
    roger, Roger

Images

I added him to my watch list, just to see what happens. I'll report back if he sells, and what the high bid is.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Just another moocher trying to get someone else to pay for his vacation.
    Next thing you know someone will pay him to carve his name in a shelter.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I added him to my watch list, just to see what happens. I'll report back if he sells, and what the high bid is.
    If this sells I think I know what I'll be doing
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    Now, if this ebay guy offered to start people out at Springer and "coach" for a week, he could have a business -- well, at least if he actually knew what he was doing. And if he made dinner.
    Except for the making dinner part, Doyle will do that for ya. And he'll even carry your gear. Course ya hike on his schedule and sleep by the side of the road, but if it floats your boat....

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    A million years ago my life was being a ski instructor, and I would occasionally run into people (usually wealthy just past middle aged men) who wanted a bit of adventure but were really unsure of themselves, and were willing to pay for a security blanket. The arrangement would never last too long -- if you do a good job, then the "client" would be ready for independence after a while. A 6 to 9 month walk? I doubt it. Now, if this ebay guy offered to start people out at Springer and "coach" for a week, he could have a business -- well, at least if he actually knew what he was doing. And if he made dinner.
    Heck I'd do that and I'm cheap!
    Do you really think there's a market for AT coaches? Maybe someone who could hep you get set up with the proper gear, put you on a training program and then hike a week or two with you to get you started?
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

its funny how serious he is

surely, he can't be serious

Quote Originally Posted by hobby View Post
    surely, he can't be serious
    Oh but he is, and stop calling me Shirley.

My grandfather used to say "if you don't ask...you don't get"....no harm in asking if you are skint and out of work....I'm sure there are plenty of worse things that people with enough cash to spare give to...

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bencape4 View Post
    its funny how serious he is
    He is serious - and I find it funny too. It takes some minerals to flat-out ask strangers to essentially pay you 4-5K to walk with them for 6 months.
    We are all one big human family.

Journal Entries
    Images

chances are....that isn't even HIS pic...

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee Rules! View Post
    Oh but he is, and stop calling me Shirley.
    what can you make of this?

Give me Ham on five and hold the Mayo.. Will he warm and dry your gear every morning . Hate putting on cold wet shirt and socks.

Came here to say this. I will never understand why people want something without working for it.

Hilarious. I guess his job interviews didn't pan out.

Minnesota Smith would tell him to grow a beard.

I'll say this for the dude, he's got chutzpah. And he's creative - simply asking for "sponsors" is old hat. Chances are he's on WB or at least has lurked and has a good idea of the reception he'd receive here. Going on e-Bay? Probably heeding Barnum's "There's a sucker born every minute" and thinking you can fool some of the people some of the time. Actually he need fool only one person.

A few months ago, a moocher posted on one of the AT Facebook pages seeking (gullible) "patrons" to support an "artists' project" on the AT. Three or four such artists were to thruhike and produce a book or media project that would be truly unique i.e. not at all like the scores of other AT books and videos, and they would donate 10% of the proceeds to an "AT conservation cause." Said proceeds weren't from the "donations," but from sales of this artistic project. And of course to produce this great work of art, they needed donors to pay for gear, food, town stops, etc. etc. hence the donations.

After I asked a few questions and made a few points, he faded away. And BTW, he was the only poster I've ever seen on FB who would post his narrative and then "like" his own post.

If I hit the powerball I would so put a bid in. I would have the poor guy carry my pack and his. He would have to wear a full tuxedo and I would call him "Jeeves" and he would have to address me as "My Lord" while bowing.

I think I would last about a week, then I would just crack up laughing, and cut him loose. Then I would tell him to have a good hike and stay far away from me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++