WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Did I do the right thing?

Yesterday I was out in day 1 of a 3 day hike in the Tonto National Forest in southern AZ. I was hiking with my dog, a 40lb hound/pointer mix. About 4 miles in, there was a steep climb out of a canyon, that puts you through the saddle of two ridges. As I near the saddle, I slow down to contemplate taking offa layer and getting a drink. I decide to push on around the ridge and after I take 2 steps I hear this mean, nasty low grumbling growl. The dog perks up, and I scan my surroundings. About 50 yards away on the steep slope of a ridge, I spot a full grown mountain lion staring right at us.

I froze and then began to shout, wave and bang my poles to intimidate it. Within a few seconds it nonchalantly turned and walked over the side of the ridge. I stood still for a few minutes wondering if I forge on or go back. As the trail didn't immediately point in the direction he went, I decided to keep going. However in about .25 mile the trail rounded the ridge that the cougar climbed over. As I walk loudly and in edge, I hear the same deep growl again. I looked around and didn't see anything. I decided to yell and make noise again, but this time making a slope loop in the direction I came as to not look like I was retreating. On the walk back, just past the location of he order encounter, the growl came again.

I retreated the 4 miles hastily while yelling and making noise most of the way. The dog and I made it out safe,covering only 4 of 30 planned miles. Did I chicken out? Was I being stalked? Did I waste a chance a perfectly good trip?

My first instinct would have been camera. I'm sure a great majority would say that's dumb. But it's the truth.

Btw. If you were being stalked I think you're story would be quite a bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingus View Post
    Btw. If you were being stalked I think you're story would be quite a bit different.
    What story?

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    What story?
    Just saying if he was being stalked I think the story might include a few more sightings and maybe an unpleasant encounter.

Sounds more like you were near someone's den instead of being stalked. You probably would have been fine to make your entire hike - but.... you and the dog made it out safe and alive, so that's never a bad thing! And now you know the location of home territory for a big cat - that info is valuable for fellow hikers to take normal precautions. Maybe it was not a long trip - but it was a successful hike.

Quote Originally Posted by oceaneire View Post
    Sounds more like you were near someone's den instead of being stalked. You probably would have been fine to make your entire hike - but.... you and the dog made it out safe and alive, so that's never a bad thing! And now you know the location of home territory for a big cat - that info is valuable for fellow hikers to take normal precautions. Maybe it was not a long trip - but it was a successful hike.
    That's cloer to what I meant. Well said.

closer to what I meant.

In the brief moment after the first encounter, I did think about taking a picture. Unfortunately my phone was in my pack.

And the den theory makes perfect sense. There very may well have been a den on the ridge I looped around and she (I'm assuming with this theory) was saying "back off".

Quote Originally Posted by dmath010 View Post
    In the brief moment after the first encounter, I did think about taking a picture. Unfortunately my phone was in my pack.

And the den theory makes perfect sense. There very may well have been a den on the ridge I looped around and she (I'm assuming with this theory) was saying "back off".
    I was thinking a fresh kill the cat was guarding or it was asking your dog to come play(that wouldn't have ended well) either way, pretty cool sighting....did you do the right thing? Sure, your here to tell about it and your dog is ok. I need to say though, I know squat about big cat's or big cat country.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 03-11-2013 at 13:25.

Images

with 20/20 hindsight, you may have been okay. but you didnt know it at the time. especially when hiking alone, to err on the side of caution is the right course of action.
    still, you should have gotten a picture

Images

Sounds like you made the right move, mountain lions are no joke. If you had gone on, this thread might not exist...

Images

you did the right thing, though he would most likely go for your dog first, it was wise to get the smell out of there.
    "find what you love and let it kill you" -c.b.

This kind of thread is really great for people who don't have any experience backpacking and are planning a thru. I would be interested in hearing what you should do when you encounter potentially dangerous wildlife(Bears, snakes, large cats, etc) along the trail.

No brainer imho, you absolutely did the right thing.... Know I would have done the same with my dog!!

I'm no wildlife expert but this Monday morning quarterback would guess that a cougar would not growl when stalking. I wonder if the dog saved you butt. I seemed to recall reading that cougars are less inclined to attack groups, and with the dog, maybe you counted as a group of two.

Cougars are shy animals. So I agree with those who say she was guarding a den or a kill. She needed a reason to stay in the area, otherwise she would have run away. For her to stay in the same area says she was protecting something.

Images

[QUOTE=dmath010;1436386]Yesterday I was out in day 1 of a 3 day hike in the Tonto National Forest in southern AZ. I was hiking with my dog, a 40lb hound/pointer mix. About 4 miles in, there was a steep climb out of a canyon, that puts you through the saddle of two ridges. As I near the saddle, I slow down to contemplate taking offa layer and getting a drink. I decide to push on around the ridge and after I take 2 steps I hear this mean, nasty low grumbling growl. The dog perks up, and I scan my surroundings. About 50 yards away on the steep slope of a ridge, I spot a full grown mountain lion staring right at us.

it would be nice if you sent a brief note to the rangers of the Tonto; http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/tonto/alerts-notices I am sure they would be interested in any information you could provide. I know in the past that they have been very responsive to issues of cat / human interactions

There is a contact button on the upper right side of the web page.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    ... I wonder if the dog saved you butt. ...
    More likely you saved your dogs butt, but anything is possible. If you are a large person, an attack is unlikely, but small women have been stalked and killed by cougars. Cougar attacks are rare.

Cougar advice when near a cougar den or cougar kill:

• Cougar kittens are usually well-hidden. However, if you do stumble upon cougar kittens, do not approach or attempt to pick them up. Leave the area immediately, as a female will defend her young.

• Never approach a cougar. Although cougars will normally avoid a confrontation, all cougars are unpredictable. Cougars feeding on a kill may be dangerous.

http://www.natureskills.com/outdoor-...ougar-attacks/

Relevant video posted by WiseOldOwl in this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ut-your-saftey

you did the right thing you really don't want to piss off a mt. lion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++