WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I felt comfortable taking regular dish detergent in a small bottle. Al long as it doesn't contain any phosphates it should be environmentally sound, and virtually no soaps contain this stuff any more. Sgt Rocks sight even mentions that a chemist freind of his testified to the fact that it's pretty much all the same. Beyond that I'd say get soap with as little scent to it as possible. And if you have long hair bring along real shampoo, just a little for use in town.

Images

Smile

Jump maybe that's what my wife said about it. I have little hair so it doesn't bother me.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Images

Default Mint

I like Dr Bronners mint soap because it has a cool smell, gives you that tingling feeling when you wash, and it is mint.

Mint is a cool plant, my great uncle did his master's thesis on wild mint in NC. But get this, mint is a weed in the mountains, like where the trail goes thru. If you know what to look for, you can find it, especially in late spring and early summer. But you never see bears eat it, just berries, ferral fruits, and backpacker's food bags. Bears don't associate the smell of mint with food, it would be like us associating the smell of grass with food. Maybe someday they will, but I see it as a safe option for soap smell.

Of course this is based only on observation, nothing really scientific.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++