WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another newbie with questions...

Hello all, I've been lurking here for awhile and now I'd like to see if I can get a little advice from the pros here. I'm a 54 y/o male who has taken up hiking in the last few years. I've been reading journals and looking at maps and now I hope to take a short section hike on the A/T. I hope to do from Springer to Blood or thereabouts over 3-4 days during my spring break which is the first week of April. If ya'll don't mind I have several questions for you.
    1. My pack is an Osprey Stratos 36 day pack. Do you think that will be sufficient for a short hike like this? I don't even have a stove yet and I'm thinking about going cold. Will this be big enough to carry what I will need for (hopefully) no more than 3 days and 2 nights on the trail?
    2. I just ordered a 30 deg mummy bag and now I'm second guessing myself as to whether I'm gonna be warm enough with that. I got it because its light and packs really small, (and it fit my budget). Will I be okay with this bag, even if it means I have to sleep fully dressed including thermals?
    3. I hope this isn't a stupid question but can anyone tell me what kind of grades I'll be facing? Around here it's all flat so the only experience I get on going uphill is on the treadmill at the gym. It goes up to a 15 degree grade and I'd like to have some idea of how that compares to the actual trail.
    4. I currently don't have a hiking partner, though I'm planning to see if anyone I work with wants to go with me. Any reason I should be concerned if I have to go it alone? I'm guessing the trail will still be plenty busy the first week of April.
    5. Lastly, I need advice on shuttles. If I'm going to start at Springer and hopefully end up somewhere around Blood Mountain, what would be the best plan as far as where to leave my vehicle, and how to get to my starting or ending location?
    I hope it's not bad forum etiquette to ask all these questions on my first post but I really appreciate any help ya'll can offer. (unfortunately, I'll probably be back for more)

First week of April there will be a zillion people starting out. Bring a tent!

The most difficult part of that section is either 1) the approch trail if you do that and/or 2) Blood Mnt and neither is very difficult (says a guy who lives and hikes in the White Mountains of NH

Keep in mind there is a "no camping without bear canistor" section for 5 miles on Blood Mt, so one has to plan for that. Most camp just before the "forbiden zone" (which includes Woods Hole shelter), then hike into Neels the next day.

A 30 degree bag should be fine by April in GA. It could be marginal if you were heading into NC, but since your not, your okay.

I can't imagine getting a shuttle will be any problem, there's a pretty constat flow back and forth at that time period.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I start my Thru that week so maybe I'll see ya out there. Good luck!

Images

Neels Gap is a couple of miles past Blood Mountain. There is a parking area where you can leave your car. It's 31 miles from Springer > Neels. Most beginning hikers take 4 days to do this. You can get a shuttle to the start point, or you can park at Springer and hike north as far as you can, then get a ride back. (Shuttle names are available at the ATC web site or in the AT Companion.)

Grades: the first day to Hawk Mountain is relatively easy and sort of level. After that there are some good solid climbs every day. Using a treadmill at the highest grade setting doesn't really compare. It helps, but it's not the same. If you can walk stairs with your pack that would help (like a football stadium.)

Pack: It's on the small side. If you can fit everything in it or strap it to the outside, it should be able to handle the weight up to 30 pounds or so.

Bag: a properly rated 30-F mummy should be enough. Less expensive bags tend to be, um, overly optimistic on their ratings. What brand and model did you buy?

People: the trail will be moderately crowded (Easter weekend might be less so), so you won't have any issues going by yourself.

Other shuttle ideas: make a reservation at The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega for the night before your hike. Park your car there. They will drive you to Springer and drop you off. When you're done hiking, they'll come get you. This is by far the easiest way to hike in Georgia, though it does cost a few bucks.

Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by importman77 View Post
    Hello all, I've been lurking here for awhile and now I'd like to see if I can get a little advice from the pros here. I'm a 54 y/o male who has taken up hiking in the last few years. I've been reading journals and looking at maps and now I hope to take a short section hike on the A/T. I hope to do from Springer to Blood or thereabouts over 3-4 days during my spring break which is the first week of April. If ya'll don't mind I have several questions for you.
    1. My pack is an Osprey Stratos 36 day pack. Do you think that will be sufficient for a short hike like this? I don't even have a stove yet and I'm thinking about going cold. Will this be big enough to carry what I will need for (hopefully) no more than 3 days and 2 nights on the trail? I could probably, but I'm a gram weenie type. When you get your new sleeping bag, stuff it, your clothes, shelter, sleeping pad and 3 days of food inside.
    2. I just ordered a 30 deg mummy bag and now I'm second guessing myself as to whether I'm gonna be warm enough with that. I got it because its light and packs really small, (and it fit my budget). Will I be okay with this bag, even if it means I have to sleep fully dressed including thermals? You should be OK, if you can't stop shivering, start doing pushups and crunches.
    3. I hope this isn't a stupid question but can anyone tell me what kind of grades I'll be facing? Around here it's all flat so the only experience I get on going uphill is on the treadmill at the gym. It goes up to a 15 degree grade and I'd like to have some idea of how that compares to the actual trail.
    http://joomla.georgia-atclub.org/pub...T-Profiles.pdf
    4. I currently don't have a hiking partner, though I'm planning to see if anyone I work with wants to go with me. Any reason I should be concerned if I have to go it alone? I'm guessing the trail will still be plenty busy the first week of April. TONS of folks out that week.
    5. Lastly, I need advice on shuttles. If I'm going to start at Springer and hopefully end up somewhere around Blood Mountain, what would be the best plan as far as where to leave my vehicle, and how to get to my starting or ending location? Park at Springer FS 42 trailhead, walk to Neels Gap, when get to Mtn Crossings, tell someone you need a ride, they have lots of contacts to help you.
    I hope it's not bad forum etiquette to ask all these questions on my first post but I really appreciate any help ya'll can offer. (unfortunately, I'll probably be back for more)
    No problem asking Qs, have a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    First week of April there will be a zillion people starting out. Bring a tent!

The most difficult part of that section is either 1) the approch trail if you do that and/or 2) Blood Mnt and neither is very difficult (says a guy who lives and hikes in the White Mountains of NH

Keep in mind there is a "no camping without bear canistor" section for 5 miles on Blood Mt, so one has to plan for that. Most camp just before the "forbiden zone" (which includes Woods Hole shelter), then hike into Neels the next day.

A 30 degree bag should be fine by April in GA. It could be marginal if you were heading into NC, but since your not, your okay.

I can't imagine getting a shuttle will be any problem, there's a pretty constat flow back and forth at that time period.
    Thanks for the input Slo. I do plan to take a tent. I think I'll skip the approach trail. I'm afraid something will go wrong and I'll have to stop without actually hiking on the A/T. I'd hate to go home and have to tell people I didnt even set foot on the trail. I expect I'll find the difficult sections a little more difficult than you would,lol. I believe I'll do like others and just camp outside of the restricted area. Again, thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz View Post
    I start my Thru that week so maybe I'll see ya out there. Good luck!
    Sounds great. Hope to see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Neels Gap is a couple of miles past Blood Mountain. There is a parking area where you can leave your car. It's 31 miles from Springer > Neels. Most beginning hikers take 4 days to do this. You can get a shuttle to the start point, or you can park at Springer and hike north as far as you can, then get a ride back. (Shuttle names are available at the ATC web site or in the AT Companion.)

Grades: the first day to Hawk Mountain is relatively easy and sort of level. After that there are some good solid climbs every day. Using a treadmill at the highest grade setting doesn't really compare. It helps, but it's not the same. If you can walk stairs with your pack that would help (like a football stadium.)

Pack: It's on the small side. If you can fit everything in it or strap it to the outside, it should be able to handle the weight up to 30 pounds or so.

Bag: a properly rated 30-F mummy should be enough. Less expensive bags tend to be, um, overly optimistic on their ratings. What brand and model did you buy?

People: the trail will be moderately crowded (Easter weekend might be less so), so you won't have any issues going by yourself.

Other shuttle ideas: make a reservation at The Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega for the night before your hike. Park your car there. They will drive you to Springer and drop you off. When you're done hiking, they'll come get you. This is by far the easiest way to hike in Georgia, though it does cost a few bucks.

Good luck.
    Thanks Cranky. Sounds like some very good ideas there. The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure I'll be needing 4 days to complete this. As fas as the grades, I kinda thought the treadmill would come up a little short on simulating what I'll be facing on the trail. But, a couple of things I hope will help me are 1. I'll have some adrenalin flowing just actually being out there and 2. On the treadmill I go as hard as I can without ever stopping. When I get to the trail I figure I'll pace myself, enjoy the experience, and stop whenever I feel the need to. Being a high school teacher I do have access to some steps. Pretty sure I can use the gym after school. I figured my pack would be a bit small for anything over night but it's the best I've got and I need a few other items more than I need to buy another pack. So, I may have to figure a way to strap my tent, bag and pad on the outside of it to make it work. When I bought the Osprey I really wasn't planning on doing any overnights. The bag is a Suisse Sport Adult Adventurer Mummy Bag. Not an expensive bag by any means but it had overall pretty good reviews. I guess when the time gets near if the forecast is for unusually cold temps I'll try to come up with a plan B. If not, I'll plan on having enough clothes to help make up for the deficit. I like your shuttle plans. Pretty sure one of them will work for me. Any idea of the cost at the Hiker Hostel? Again, thanks for all your help.

Images

Any idea of the cost at the Hiker Hostel? Again, thanks for all your help.
    http://www.hikerhostel.com/ You could look it up.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I expect I'll find the difficult sections a little more difficult than you would,lol..
    The secret to long climbs is to go cartoonishly slow. Don't even breath hard. You'll get to the top, eventually, brimming with energy. Or at least you won't be exhausted.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

http://www.hikerhostel.com/ You could look it up.
    Thanks, I actually did after asking. Doesn't seem to bad to me. A bunk is cheap enough, the shuttle is a little more than I would have guessed but, then again I had no real idea what it should've been worth. Seems like the best way would be find someone else to split a shuttle with. Looks like a really nice place too.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    The secret to long climbs is to go cartoonishly slow. Don't even breath hard. You'll get to the top, eventually, brimming with energy. Or at least you won't be exhausted.
    Thanks Bill. I'm going to try to put this somewhere in my memory banks where I can remember it. I've got a feeling this could be one of the most important pieces of advice I receive.

Images

Thanks, I actually did after asking. Doesn't seem to bad to me. A bunk is cheap enough, the shuttle is a little more than I would have guessed but, then again I had no real idea what it should've been worth. Seems like the best way would be find someone else to split a shuttle with. Looks like a really nice place too.
    Pretty sure that the shuttle to Springer cost gets split between all the hikers going, so it may be lower than that. The cost to pick you up is probably all yours, since it's unlikely that other section hikers will be getting picked up at the same time and place.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've hiked that section at least 5 times since 2009. The safest place to leave your vehicle is at Amicalola Falls State Park, then you have to hike up the AT Approach trail to Springer, adds a day to your hike. But you get to see the falls, which is worth it.

When u get to Neels Gap, ask someone there to get you a shuttle ride back to AFSP. They have a list of shuttle drivers within a short drive that can take you back. It's thru hiker season, the place will be very busy.

have a great hike, early April is a great time to go.

Just a few comments for you based on my humble experience. You will gain an incredible amount of knowledge with your first hike on the AT. You will learn what works for you and what does not. You will encounter hikers that will zip past you. You will also encounter a number of hikers in their fifties that are exactly like you. You will encounter some people who believe that they know everything about backpacking and will not hesitate to tell you. You will also meet a few people who do in fact know most everything about backpacking, and remembering their own first hike, will with personal humility encourage you to hike your own hike. Do not get frustrated when you think that you will not make it up the next hill and exhaustion sets in; pick out a rock or tree ahead of you even if it’s only fifty feet away and set your goal to reach it and then rest. Repeat this process. Backpacking on the AT is work. Consider using trekking poles. Get acclimated to your shoes/socks combo before setting out. Focus more attention on avoiding getting wet rather than on avoiding getting cold. You will likely find that on a 3-4 day section hike that you really don’t get that hungry. Regarding exercise, the treadmill will not prepare you for the side-to-side motion as you hike up, but also down, and your thighs and pelvic area will likely get incredibly sore. Personally, I learned to alternate between a treadmill and a stair-stepping type device, and if you have access to and time for the stadium seat climb with backpack on, I recommend. Also, at your age don’t make assumptions about your upper body strength. One day after several years of backpacking I decided to do some push-ups, and I collapsed on the floor after only three. I thought at 175 pounds that I was in good shape. I slowly worked up to where I do twenty push-ups almost every day. Younger hikers don’t laugh. I am 58, but I feel better than I felt through most of my forties. Finally, do not be surprised if at the end of your first AT hike you are tired, smelly, sore, disappointed, questioning your reasoning, and you never want to do it again. In two weeks the urge to hike will return. You will not be able to resist.

Thanks Flem for some very good advice. I think I'll probably end up with my tent strapped to the outside of my pack. I'll have to limit myself to the bare essentials and pack carefully. Still trying to decide on parking/shuttle. Not sure how many push ups I can do but it's probably not enough to keep warm, lol. Thanks again.

Pretty sure that the shuttle to Springer cost gets split between all the hikers going, so it may be lower than that. The cost to pick you up is probably all yours, since it's unlikely that other section hikers will be getting picked up at the same time and place.
    Yeah, if I read it right it's one price for one person depending on destination, and each additional person is 10% more. I'll just wait till someone else lines up a shuttle and I'll pay 10% and go along, right?? LOL. Thanks again Cranky.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ace View Post
    Just a few comments for you based on my humble experience. You will gain an incredible amount of knowledge with your first hike on the AT. You will learn what works for you and what does not. You will encounter hikers that will zip past you. No doubt about that.
    You will also encounter a number of hikers in their fifties that are exactly like you. That sounds reassuring.
    You will encounter some people who believe that they know everything about backpacking and will not hesitate to tell you. I've known a few people like that in other endeavors.
    You will also meet a few people who do in fact know most everything about backpacking, and remembering their own first hike, will with personal humility encourage you to hike your own hike. Somehow I get the impression you are in this group.
    Do not get frustrated when you think that you will not make it up the next hill and exhaustion sets in; pick out a rock or tree ahead of you even if it’s only fifty feet away and set your goal to reach it and then rest. Repeat this process. Backpacking on the AT is work. Great advice. I will make sure I remember these words.
    Consider using trekking poles. I have them and use them whenever I hike. I actually like them.
    Get acclimated to your shoes/socks combo before setting out. I have a pair of Saloman trail shoes that I currently use, (probably 50 miles or so on them). I haven't tried them on anything long but they've given me no problems thus far. I use polyester or wool socks depending on temps. Knock wood, I haven't had a blister with this shoe/sock combo, (so far).
    Focus more attention on avoiding getting wet rather than on avoiding getting cold. Point taken.
    You will likely find that on a 3-4 day section hike that you really don’t get that hungry. That's good to know considering I don't have a stove and probably won't be buying/carrying one. Gonna try going "cold".
    Regarding exercise, the treadmill will not prepare you for the side-to-side motion as you hike up, but also down, and your thighs and pelvic area will likely get incredibly sore. Personally, I learned to alternate between a treadmill and a stair-stepping type device, and if you have access to and time for the stadium seat climb with backpack on, I recommend. I suspected the treadmill would come up a little short. I do have access to the stair stepper, and actually use it at the gym. But a lot of times I forego the gym and either go for a walk or a bike ride,(if the weather's good) or use my own treadmill at home if the weather's no so good. And, I believe I'll be able to use the bleachers in the gym at the school where I teach. Just need to clear it with the A/D or the principal.
    Also, at your age don’t make assumptions about your upper body strength. Three years ago I'd have had more confidence in my upper body. I was excercising religiously including weight training on my way to dropping from 258 lbs to 172 over a 9 month period. (I had creeped back up to about 205 but I'm currently around 195 lbs and slowly bringing it back down). Now I'm still excercising, just doing strictly cardio. (I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and don't want to do the weights anymore.)
    One day after several years of backpacking I decided to do some push-ups, and I collapsed on the floor after only three. I thought at 175 pounds that I was in good shape. I slowly worked up to where I do twenty push-ups almost every day. Younger hikers don’t laugh. I am 58, but I feel better than I felt through most of my forties. Me too!
    Finally, do not be surprised if at the end of your first AT hike you are tired, smelly, sore, disappointed, questioning your reasoning, and you never want to do it again. (I hope you meant to include that I would feel a little satisfaction in my somewhat meagar accomplishment) In two weeks the urge to hike will return. I'm sure. You will not be able to resist.

Ace, thank you so much for taking the time to post such a well thought out and encouraging reply. I will most certainly take your advice to heart.

Journal Entries

The bad news, is walking uphill with a pack is probably harder than you think it will be.
    Although the grade isnt really that steep, its relentless. It can go on and on for several miles sometimes.

The good news, is you can go as slow as you need or want.

Learn the "rest step". Every step, momentarily lock out your knee, takes load off of muscles momentarily.
    Go slow, and steady, at a pace you can maintain. Its better to be slow.
    At the end of the day, you will be less tired going slow and steady, than if you rush and have to stop frequently and catch your breath/rest.

You will make it to the top, just keep on slow and steady.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    The bad news, is walking uphill with a pack is probably harder than you think it will be.
    Although the grade isnt really that steep, its relentless. It can go on and on for several miles sometimes.

The good news, is you can go as slow as you need or want.

Learn the "rest step". Every step, momentarily lock out your knee, takes load off of muscles momentarily.
    Go slow, and steady, at a pace you can maintain. Its better to be slow.
    At the end of the day, you will be less tired going slow and steady, than if you rush and have to stop frequently and catch your breath/rest.

You will make it to the top, just keep on slow and steady.
    Thanks Muddy. The first thing I'll have to do is make myself slow down. I'm a naturally fast walker. But I'll do it. I'm probably too old and uncoodinated to learn the rest step. Sounds interesting though. I appreciate your advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++