WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: This or that?

Images

Default This or that?

Katadyn Hiker pro or sawyer inline water filter for a thru? Why/ why not?

I have a Hiker Pro and am happy with it because it attaches to nalgene bottles and doesn't take all that long to fill one up. However I prefer my Steripen due to weight and size.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Ramblin around your city, rambling around your town...

inline sawyer

lighter
    harder to clog, can be backflushed in the field
    faster to get water during day if using with hydration system/inline(IMO)-less mosquito bites
    can be set up at camp or longer day breaks as a gravity filter

Can the Sawyer suck up water from a tiny seep pool? This is one of the advantages of a pump filter---and even beats chemical treatment at times as: How are you going to get a tiny water pool into your water bottle??

I actually took the smallest bag provided with my Sawyer and cut off the top just above halfway up. Use it as a cup to get it into your bladder.

I have both, though my hiker pro is an older one. If it was a really dry year on the AT, I'd recommend the hiker pro so that you could suck up water from low spots. Or, if you are with a group. Although for thrus, probably just better to have two Sawyers as you might get separated. However, most of the time I just bring the sawyer. You can scoop with a cup as mentioned or a pot. I carry extra water capacity and bring a nalgene soft water carrier. It has a wide mouth and can also scoop water.

When it's dry on the AT, carry extra water to be able to skip a stop and usually the next one is better. This isn't always true but it happens enough. Personally, if it is really dry (and generally hot as well) I will carry enough water to get through most or all of the day. It just takes some adjusted planning by paying close attention to where the water is supposed to be for the day then factoring in a reserve if needed.

You can't freeze the Sawyer though, so when you start needs to be considered. I use Polar Pur in freezing conditions rather than deal with a pump.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

good point... forgot about the low pools of water. Pump style does have the advantage here. But, it's still a pain(IMO) to keep the "peanut" hovering while pumping. The peanut resting in the bottom of the pool results in a clogged filter in my experience, even with a coffee filter/prefilter over the peanut.

I used my cup/bowl/stove container to scoop up water. In really low pools, I will get sediment in the water, but, the sawyer has never clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Can the Sawyer suck up water from a tiny seep pool? This is one of the advantages of a pump filter---and even beats chemical treatment at times as: How are you going to get a tiny water pool into your water bottle??

also, wanted to add: if situation was desperate, you can use the sawyer inline as a straw directly from the low pool. I've never tried but think it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Aqua mira works good also on the trail.

I've seen too many hikers frustrated by water pumps on long hikes...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but both my hiking partner and I had Sawyer bags which both sprung leaks after only 3 days of use.

I loved the system while it worked.

++ New Posts ++