WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Weighing your pack

Hi,
    I was wondering what people use to weigh there pack. I have a BR scale but the pack is too big.

Put the pack on your back, step on scale, read reading, step off scale. Remove pack, step on scale, read reading, subtract second reading from first...

That should get ya with-in a few oz..or 1/4 lb.

Journal Entries

Add Content
    RIAP

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor66 View Post
    Add Content
    Damn, knew I forgot something!

Images

Bathroom scale works for the whole pack, using the weigh-twice-and-subtract method. The serious gram weenies* use a kitchen scale to weight individual items down to the gram or the tenth of an ounce. Then keep a spreadsheet with all the gear and add it up there.

*yeah, okay, I'm just speaking for myself
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Bathroom scale works for the whole pack, using the weigh-twice-and-subtract method. The serious gram weenies* use a kitchen scale to weight individual items down to the gram or the tenth of an ounce. Then keep a spreadsheet with all the gear and add it up there.

*yeah, okay, I'm just speaking for myself
    No no, your right. I just down loaded this the other day after seeing it posted here on WB http://www.geargrams.com/assets/tuto...s_tutorial.swf

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

I have yet to catch a fish that weighs as much as my pack. However, I do use my fish weighing scale to check my pack weight.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Gym scale. I get some strange looks/questions.

Section Hiker

If you want to weight a few small things individually, go to the self serve scale at the post office. (Works for the Pinewood Derby car, too...)

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreek View Post
    Gym scale. I get some strange looks/questions.
    I get the strange looks as well!!! Even more so when I am on the stair stepper or walking around the track!
    This is my one small step, this is my walk on the moon! ~Great Big Sea

A set of antique iron hanging balance scales. They're surprisingly accurate and fairly common.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    I have yet to catch a fish that weighs as much as my pack. However, I do use my fish weighing scale to check my pack weight.
    I have yet to catch a fish now that i bought the scale....maybe thats the problem.

I bought mine a Dicks Sporting goods for like $9. Its helped tremendously in shaving pounds.

+1 on the fish scale. $20 for a digital one at Wallyworld, $10 for an analog. Postal scale for small stuff. I found my cheap bathroom scale to be inconsistant, depended on how I stood on it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I work at a pediatrician's office so we have one of those scales that babies are placed in. I just substitute my pack for said baby. For everything else, I use a kitchen scale - twenty bones at Wally World.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Driven View Post
    You clearly need to come to Maine. I once caught a Striper in Casco Bay on a collapsible pole that weighed about 22lb.

I am a gram weenie for the small stuff and use the bathroom scale method for the whole thing.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by NLaeger View Post
    I get the strange looks as well!!! Even more so when I am on the stair stepper or walking around the track!

Yeah. I've gotten a lot of questions about my pack while I am on the treadmills or in the locker room. There is also a firefighter at my gym that gets on the treadmill with his gear on!

I picked up a cheap luggage scale from my local Ace Hardware, but WallyWorld has them too (in the suitcase section) for around $10~$15. It has a hook to lift your pack with, and I have found it pretty handy. I tied some paracord to the handle and hung it from a nail in a rafter in my garage, so it is easy to hang my pack and see how the weight changes as I add stuff.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    You clearly need to come to Maine. I once caught a Striper in Casco Bay on a collapsible pole ...
    I had to reread that. I thought you said you caught a stripper at Costco

To keep on topic, I use both methods. I use a kitchen scale for gear, and the bathroom scale, pack on pack off method for the loaded pack.

If you stare at it long enough the answer will come to you
    "Give no credence to any thought that was not born outdoors while one moved about freely"

Hikingirl: As others have mentioned, you can get a digital kitchen scale at Walmart for about $20. Mine has a surface area of only 7 x 7 inches. However, I can balance a plastic laundry basket on it and place larger items in the basket to weigh, including my pack itself, and it has a”tare” function to compensate for the weight of the laundry basket. I’ve tested it with known weights and it’s dead-on in ounces. It has a maximum weight of ten pounds, but you can divide up your stuff and add up the weights. If you are interested in reducing your base weight, the recommendation given above of listing the weight of each item on a spreadsheet helps you to identify opportunities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++