WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Packing Strategy for JMT

I have a ULA Catalyst backpack and today I received my Bearikade canister. My packing strategy is as follows:

Within Main Backpack Body

1. Sleeping bag will go into a zPacks "large rectangular dry bag" (12.3 liter size) and will consume the available space at the very bottom of the pack.

2. Thermarest Prolite will be fully deflated, folded up sized to the back panel of the pack and placed directly against the back panel.

3. Bearikade will be placed vertically over the sleeping bag and centered within the backpack. The thermarest prolite will provide some additional padding to keep the Bearikade from pushing against my spine.

4. On each side of the Bearikade, I will place a zPacks "slim dry bag". One bag will be filled with clothing items. The other bag will contain my Jetboil stove, inner tent body of my Copper Spur UL1, first aid kit, and loose items.

5. On top of the Bearikade and slim dry bags will sit a zPacks "Large rectangular dry bag" with my remaining clothing items, journal, first aid kit, headlamp, rain gear, etc.

In Left Side Pocket

1. Tent poles and stakes for Copper Spur UL1.

2. Trowel, toilet paper, hand sanitizer

3. Camp/water shoes

In Right Side Pocket

1. Water container

In Front Mesh Pocket

1. Rainfly and ground sheet for Copper Spur UL1.

Does this sound about right?

I plan to carry a zPacks backpack cover plus I will have nearly everything that needs to stay dry in dry bags. I was thinking about also buying a zPacks pack liner dry bag but I'm somewhat concerned that the tight fit of the Bearikade could cause abrasion to the cuben fiber material over time (the canister is just a really tight fit).

Gear is starting to all come together. Thanks for any feedback!

Images

Pretty much the same for me except I will have the zpacks pack liner. If it abrades, it abrades. I want the extra layer of protection for my down bag.

My tent is a lightheart solo cuben, so no tent poles etc. outside the pack. I carried a Copper Spur 1 on my AT thru hike. It is a great free standing tent, but I went from three pounds down to 20 ounces with the lightheart.

Quote Originally Posted by wcgornto View Post
    My tent is a lightheart solo cuben, so no tent poles etc. outside the pack. I carried a Copper Spur 1 on my AT thru hike. It is a great free standing tent, but I went from three pounds down to 20 ounces with the lightheart.
    I like the bombproof aspect of the Copper Spur but it is quite heavy. I've been very tempted to swap it out for the Hexamid Solo or Solo Plus but I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough to pitch it properly under all circumstances (rocky soil, exposed areas, etc). But doing so would cut almost two pounds from my base weight.

Images

I bought a SMD Wild Oasis (15 oz.) for the trip, but after several multi-day trips with lots of rain, I found it doesn't work for me, so I am using my Tarp Tent Contrail. The Contrail is listed at 24 oz. , but with the line outs and sack, for some reason it comes in at 30 oz. Go figure...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Hey, Rambling, that sounds like a good strategy. I use my Prolite the same way, folded in sixths and flat against the suspension panel. It seems to be the one place where it takes up the least room inside the pack, plus the added padding helps. I have several of the Zpacks sacks, and they are well made.

Have a good trip.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Hey, Rambling, that sounds like a good strategy. I use my Prolite the same way, folded in sixths and flat against the suspension panel.
    I've been experimenting with the Prolite against the back panel idea. While it seems to cushion the impact of the canister, it does have the effect of pushing the canister into the front mesh pocket of the Catalyst reducing its usable space and it rubs up against the thinner material on the front panel. So I'm not so sure about that anymore but I have lots of time to experiment. I have to say that the bear can takes up much more volume than I expected and I'm glad I have the Catalyst rather than the Circuit.

Images

Interesting. I have a Circuit, and have never used (nor needed ) a bear canister. This does give me food for thought if I end up hiking in California. Thanks for the insight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

You pack packing strategy looks good.

Some advice for the bear can. When you pack the bear can, layer it with all the food needed per day on each layer. That way you can easily get the food you need for the day without having to repack it everytime you want something. Get rid of all the bulky original packaging and use ziplocks with all the air sqeezed out as this will give you additional room. Carry the current days food in your pack and not the bear can, but don't leave your pack unattended at any time. It only takes a minute for a bear to grab it.

Post Catalyst and Bearikade

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    I have a ULA Catalyst backpack and today I received my Bearikade canister. My packing strategy is as follows:

Within Main Backpack Body

1. Sleeping bag will go into a zPacks "large rectangular dry bag" (12.3 liter size) and will consume the available space at the very bottom of the pack.

2. Thermarest Prolite will be fully deflated, folded up sized to the back panel of the pack and placed directly against the back panel.

3. Bearikade will be placed vertically over the sleeping bag and centered within the backpack. The thermarest prolite will provide some additional padding to keep the Bearikade from pushing against my spine.

4. On each side of the Bearikade, I will place a zPacks "slim dry bag". One bag will be filled with clothing items. The other bag will contain my Jetboil stove, inner tent body of my Copper Spur UL1, first aid kit, and loose items.

5. On top of the Bearikade and slim dry bags will sit a zPacks "Large rectangular dry bag" with my remaining clothing items, journal, first aid kit, headlamp, rain gear, etc.

In Left Side Pocket

1. Tent poles and stakes for Copper Spur UL1.

2. Trowel, toilet paper, hand sanitizer

3. Camp/water shoes

In Right Side Pocket

1. Water container

In Front Mesh Pocket

1. Rainfly and ground sheet for Copper Spur UL1.

Does this sound about right?

I plan to carry a zPacks backpack cover plus I will have nearly everything that needs to stay dry in dry bags. I was thinking about also buying a zPacks pack liner dry bag but I'm somewhat concerned that the tight fit of the Bearikade could cause abrasion to the cuben fiber material over time (the canister is just a really tight fit).

Gear is starting to all come together. Thanks for any feedback!

Just saw this Thread. I also have a Catalyst and thinking of placing the Bearikade canister as the last item (on top) of all my stuff before folding an synching the strap of the ULA pack.
    What do you all see as pros and cons?
    Thanks.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I like the bombproof aspect of the Copper Spur but it is quite heavy. I've been very tempted to swap it out for the Hexamid Solo or Solo Plus but I'm not sure that I'm skilled enough to pitch it properly under all circumstances (rocky soil, exposed areas, etc). But doing so would cut almost two pounds from my base weight.
    Consider going with the Hexamid Twin instead of the Solo; you get a bunch more room with a minimal weight penalty. With the Cuben Fiber bathtub floor, I was able to eliminate the need for a bivy.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Consider going with the Hexamid Twin instead of the Solo; you get a bunch more room with a minimal weight penalty. With the Cuben Fiber bathtub floor, I was able to eliminate the need for a bivy.
    I actually did switch to the Hexamid and opted for the Twin due to the very slight weight penalty over the Solo Plus (I'm too tall for the Solo). I've used the shelter for eight nights including a week-long trip to the Grand Canyon and I love it so far. I will say that I've yet to have it in any inclement weather conditions so far but I am getting more confident pitching it even when I can't get a stake into the ground (use rocks instead). For roughly 20 ounces, I don't think the weight of this shelter can be beat relative to the space and functionality provided. And it has proven very durable with no abrasion to the mesh floor which I found surprising.

I've also switched from the ULA Catalyst to the Circuit due to lower base weight associated with a lighter shelter and general reduction of items that I plan to carry.

I get to test my setup in mid July on the North Lake-South Lake loop which will be a test run for my full JMT hike in late August. One trip to SNP planned between now and the N.Lake-S.Lake trip.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I'm curious, have you tried putting the bear can horizontally on top? I'm not sure if that will work with the Catalyst or not. I have a McHale, and my pack is designed for the can to go in this spot. It's a very convenient location because then you can get to your food easily. It also allows for easy removal of the can so that I can get to other things in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I'm curious, have you tried putting the bear can horizontally on top? I'm not sure if that will work with the Catalyst or not. I have a McHale, and my pack is designed for the can to go in this spot. It's a very convenient location because then you can get to your food easily. It also allows for easy removal of the can so that I can get to other things in my pack.
    I have the Circuit now and the only realistic place to put the canister is vertically above my sleeping bag and it takes up lots of the volume of the pack. But it works out ok for me. I think that carrying on top of the pack could change the center of gravity quite a bit by making the pack top heavy plus the profile of the Circuit doesn't seem to lend itself to strapping the can on top. Maybe it would work in the catalyst.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I have the Circuit now and the only realistic place to put the canister is vertically above my sleeping bag and it takes up lots of the volume of the pack. But it works out ok for me. I think that carrying on top of the pack could change the center of gravity quite a bit by making the pack top heavy plus the profile of the Circuit doesn't seem to lend itself to strapping the can on top. Maybe it would work in the catalyst.
    I'm confused. So you have a Circuit or a Catalyst? You state you have a Catalyst in multiple posts above, but then state you have a Circuit in the one I quoted.

If you have a Circuit than I can see your conundrum as I also have a Circuit and put my bear can in there one time just to see how it fit. It took up the better portion of the pack, and had to be put in there vertically as you have stated. I agree that also would not carry the bear can on the top outside of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    I'm confused. So you have a Circuit or a Catalyst? You state you have a Catalyst in multiple posts above, but then state you have a Circuit in the one I quoted.

I purchased a Catalyst which I had when the thread started but switched to a circuit since then. This thread was started months ago and recently came back to life.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Journal Entries

The Bear Vault BV500 has grooves built into the container, so it could be strapped down on top/outside of the Circuit pack. That would free up a lot of room inside the pack. I'm just not sure how secure it would be? I'd hate for it to slip out and roll away! Also, I'm not sure where you would run the straps through (haul loop?) to secure it to the pack? Finally, it might bump up against the back of your head, especially if you bend over. Has anyone tried strapping one to the outside/top of their pack?
    Happy Trails!

Hey RamblingHiker, how did your JMT hike go? I am planning a thru hike of the JMT next August and have a ULA Catalyst. What size Bearikade did you use? Outside of the tent discussion ( I'm committed to a BA Fly Creek ) anything you can share concerning packing or anything else. Just out of curiosity, what kind of water shoes did you use and did they remain packed in a side pocket?

The hike was great! I used the ULA circuit with a custom 12 inch Bearikade which was just barely enough for the MTR-Whitney segment. The pack carried very well with a typical 23-28 pounds total weight and was fine even at 33 pounds leaving MTR. My Hexamid Twin was great and very lightweight. I went without water shoes. The only wet crossing was Evolution creek. I crossed in my trail runners but removed socks and insole first. The shoes were mostly dry by evening.
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014

Thanks for the response. I am debating between the 11" to 12" custom and the Weekender ( 10.5" ) Bearikade. I assume you were able to lay the Bearikade on it's side ( horizontal ) in the pack or did you pack it in vertically. Would you be interested in selling your Bearikade?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++